[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIY pool heater
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
Any suggestions on how to make one? Fire is the primary option
>>
Pool maintenance fag here. You need at least 2 inch pipe to get sufficient water flow.
>>
A buddy of mine owns/runs a tree trimming operation. He heats everything with wood. Has a wood boiler for how water. One for heating the house including radiant floors. Runs a smaller third one for heating a pool.

The units aren't cheap but you can't legally /diy/ your own without getting it tested which would costs tens to hundreds of thousands. Plus he has unlimited wood.

You could possibly /diy/ your own pool heater because it's probably not subject to the same requirements as a water heater or boiler.
>>
>>901436
There is such a thing as a wood-fired hot tub. Basically, it's a firepit inside of some tubing that water from a pool flows through. Should be a good starting point.
>>
What's wrong with solar?
>>
>>901436
This looks expensive. Maybe black iron pipe? Solder may melt with the heat too.
>>
>>901436
Dunno if your climate allows it but a friends of mine heats his pool by just runing the water through black polypipe running in a big spiral over the roof(got it thorough the family's farm ABN, thanks tax writeoff).

Its slow to heat but so long as it is run every day the temp never drops low enough to be uncomfortable.
>>
>>901436
How about posting some info that can actually help you get an answer? Budget? How experienced are you with diy? What's your weather like? Why fire?
>>
>>901500
Fire -> a lot of firewood
Pool size -> radius of the pool is 2.5 meters, height around 1.2m
Budget -> depends. Give me options from low to high.
DIY experiemce -> above average diy person
>>
>>901489
Something like that
>>
>>901495

Hell 50' of soft copper coiled up would have been easier and cheaper while being 90% as effective. I'll give credit for the soldering job though.
>>
>>901546
That is just an example image.

Can you tell me more? Thickness of the copper, leght, pump, flow speed?

Thanks!
>>
>>901497

This.

Poly pipe coils are cheap and work quite well if they get enough sun.
>>
File: HotTub.jpg (67 KB, 600x453) Image search: [Google]
HotTub.jpg
67 KB, 600x453
>>901436
>>
>>901436
If you do the poly pipe methods make sure you shut the pump off at night and install a ball valve to shunt water flow from at least one side.

Natural convection at night can cool the pool just as fast as it heats up.

Also: calculate and balance your BTUs.

Figure out your heat loss through thermal loss, and evaporation. Minimize as much as you can with hay bails, leaves, plantings, and covers.

Then figure out how many btus you need to produce during the sunlit hours. A quick google search will show you how many watts of energy the sun puts down in your area so you can figure how much surface area you need
>>
>>901480
only if your using a pool pump...

temperature differential plays a part as well.

my dad had an above ground pool, we had a gas heater, and a submersible pump that connected via garden hose to four three foot long sections of black iron pipe that were connected with elbows and sitting in the chimney of a cast iron fire pot on the deck... we had a woodshop so there was always junk scrap to burn... while the flow through the wood heater was less than the 2 inch diameter pool plumbing, the wood heater got a lot hotter, and also pulled water from the coldest part of the pool.... cut our heating cost in half compared to the 2 years before we put it in....

pic related is the shape of the chiminea thingy we had,
>>
>>901436

I want to make a trashcan hot tub to put on my roofdeck in the city, what would be a good way to do this? I'm pretty sure fire is a no go on roofs so I was thinking of doing a copper coil scenario except in a stand up electric grill like pic related. Think this is enough to heat a trashcan of water in the dead of winter? What sort of pump should I be looking at?
>>
File: Diy-Hot-Tub-Heater[1].jpg (112 KB, 635x635) Image search: [Google]
Diy-Hot-Tub-Heater[1].jpg
112 KB, 635x635
>>901535
I'm
>>901644

if your just trying to heat a small pool then get a harbor freight submersible pump with a garden hose outlet for like 60$ and use black iron.. it'll need replaced in a couple of years because of rust, but the one we used was probably 300$ total by the time we were done... and we used it on an aboveground oval that was 15 feet across on the short side and 30feet across on the long side... it had a noticeable affect on that... you should be able to heat a tiny pool like yours without that much trouble... hell just use a giant spaghetti pot with a hole drilled about 4 inches below the rim... put some form of pipe in that so that water flows out the pipe and goes back into your pool, then use a garden hose and sump pump to fill it .... put pot over fire....

or if you have a barrel and won't have kids in the pool you could do this....
>>
>>901648
>won't have kids in the pool
they need to learn anon you are robbing your children of an opportunity of discovery.
>>
>>901495
The water temperature would never come near the melting point of solder.
Soldered copper is used in heating all the time.
>>
>>901654

propane melts solder
propane heats grill
solder sits on grill
>"no that water won't get hot enough"
kek
>>
File: steam.gif (151 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
steam.gif
151 KB, 256x192
>>901674
So long as there is water inside the pipe it will be fine.

Pic related has 50:50 solder all round. You don't want to boil it dry though.
>>
>>901569
That dude's skin remind me of my father. Same pale ass lol.
>>
>>901678
Knife sharpener?
>>
>>901480
Why not run the hot air/smoke through pipes through the water instead
>>
>>902127
It's a steam engine, that "knife sharpener" is almost certainly just a really heavy flywheel. Seems retarded to spend all that time building a steam engine only to end up with a worse solution than just an electrical motor.
>>
>>901480
>You need at least 2 inch pipe

Parallel a bunch of 1/2" (or 3/4") pipes for the heat exchanger so the total pipe area is 2". You'll get good flow plus more surface area for the heat exchange.
>>
>>902441
easier to get a pump moving relatively cool water than it is to force hot exhaust through tubing without making it stupid big and watertight...

although technically this is what the barrel in the middle of the pool with fire in it is doing....
>>
>>901436
reminds me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxpHJipB67g
>>
>>901492
It's shit. The heat it makes is crap.
>>
>>901497
>>901562
I've experienced those I must say I'm not a fan. Heating's insufficient IMO
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.