[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone got experience with soundproofing? I want to nail two
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: doorplug.jpg (43 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
doorplug.jpg
43 KB, 200x300
Anyone got experience with soundproofing?
I want to nail two doors together, with an egg shell layer between them, will that work? Any other cheap ideas that I can use?
I am desperate, I am living with my aunt, who is bipolar, and I need a way to insulate myself from her madness.
>>
>>901308
Just use earplugs.
>>
>>901308
ear plugs
also it is the door gaps you should worry about
>>
>>901312
I will be dealing with those.
What is a good and cheap material to fill the gaps with?
>>
>>901322
Expanding foam, and old dirty cum rags.

I ducktaped about 4mm thick rubber stripping around my door not cause of noise, but because of light. seems to hold up okay.
>>
You need a heavy substance. Cheapest I can think of is to fill the walls with sandbags.
>>
>>901308
you need to fill your aunt with sand to soundproof it
>>
>>901308
yes
everyone on /diy/ does
we are experts on:
soundproofing
burying shipping containers
pallet furniture
imitation crab meat
>>
>>901308
Most interior doors are hollow and sometimes walls too. Acoustic foam could slide in between and that would basically give you movie theater sound absorbing levels. Or drill a small hole, fill with spray insulation and seal the hole.
>>
File: ducttape.jpg (46 KB, 600x614) Image search: [Google]
ducttape.jpg
46 KB, 600x614
>>901308
>I am desperate, I am living with my aunt, who is bipolar, and I need a way to insulate myself from her madness.
>>
>>901308
replace the door with an insulated one. its as easy as unscrewing hinges
>>
File: measuring wheel.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
measuring wheel.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
>>901308
>I am desperate, I am living with my aunt, who is bipolar, and I need a way to insulate myself from her madness.
Get one of these and measure out at least two-hundred yards/meters. When you're done, just keep walking.
>>
Buy a pack of razor blades and try to get her to tell you her ATM code before she takes her final bath.
>>
File: image.png (425 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.png
425 KB, 1334x750
Condolences regarding your aunt. My wife batty like that. It has its perks. It's silliness that can be fun, gets you a pass for all the weird shit you do (as long as you maintain a weirdness level 10% less than them), and depending on the meds and whether or not they take them, you can sometimes enjoy the benefit of having a pliable sex zombie on your hands. Older female relatives living in your house, not so good.

Anyways, acoustic foam works great. Its expensive as fuck, but you don't need a much of it when you only need to damp one room relative to another. If you share a wall with her, you only have to do that wall. If you have a closet in that wall, you only need to cover the section that doesn't have closet behind it.

Don't go ape shit with the adhesives. Use barely enough to keep it stuck to the wall. That way you can remove it and take it with you. It lasts forever.

Some form of white noise can help too. I run a small box fan to drown out the bullshit around me.

The acoustic tiles are expensive but if you shop around, you can get good deals. Industry standard materials from specialty stores are $10/ft, big box stores maybe $8, or $5-6 from wally's affiliates.

If you want to go the ghetto route use drop ceiling tiles in two layers. You can paint them too. Just be sure to use a material designed for the task. Just because it's foam doesn't mean it can convert vibration to heat which is what it needs to do.
>>
>>901491
/thread
>>
Moving blankets work well and are cheap. Acoustic foam will work but is not as easy to hang.
>>
>>902075
dont they just prevent echo?
>>
Sound proofing boils down to ONE thing: MASS. The more mass you have, the better it is. Other shit like foam only helps some. The denser the foam the better. The more layers of drywall the better. The more gaps the better.

Sound proofing is really expensive.

Cheaper/easier solution:
>buy comfortable ear plugs
>buy CLOSED back headphones. Sennheiser HD 280 Pro are good starter cans with great isolation
>>
>>902075
>Some form of white noise can help too. I run a small box fan to drown out the bullshit around me.
cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp
>>
>>902099
That's the easiest thing to notice when in a soundproofed room, but it also used so that you don't hear trucks, car horns, weather, people in the next door unit doing their business, etc during the daytime when the studio is open.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.