[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bored and wanting too learn smithing or the such
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: img0661.jpg (138 KB, 940x440) Image search: [Google]
img0661.jpg
138 KB, 940x440
>picture mostly unrelated?

So, I'm fresh out of motivation for videogames and most other stuff, so anyone on here want to give me a quick how-to for basic forging? Like swords, blades and the such (or just generally metal shaping) etc. thanks in advance
>>
>>901071
>So, I'm fresh out of motivation for videogames

What are you still doing here, Fallout 4 is out
>>
>>901073
Well, I COULD be searching /b/ for the occasional "richfag" that is going to give away a copy for a sharpie in someone's pooper pic, but no, I'm just not feeling the hype...
>>
Noone? No? Welp, I guess I'll search for a book then...
>>
>14 year old /b/ faggot
>thinks on a whim is going to learn to forge
>can't even google
>can't even read a sticky
>literally isn't hyped for fallout
>bumps his own threads on diy
>expecting us to feel sorry for him when he leaves a passive aggressive boo hoo post

Welcome to /diy/
>>
>>901071
>quick how-to
>basic forging
>swords
Good grief. You know what? Go and play some fallout 4.
>>
>>901071
anon build a gingery lathe.

youtube it
>>
>>901094
maybe some people trust 4chan enough to get basic advice. its weird huh?
>>
>>901071
Well, first off you gotta build a forge. My friends and I built one out of fire bricks, cheap angle irons, some pipe and a spare computer fan and propane tubing. There are other ways of building forges, though.

I've seen guys make them out of old drum brakes and some sort of source of air (Fan, hair dryer, etc) and use coal to fuel (Your neighbours will hate you as it smells fucking horrible.) The first forge we made was from a metal trash can mostly fill with a mixture of plaster and verm, with a small space in the center for the flame. It fell apart rather quickly, so I'd advise against this route.

We're currently using an I-beam as an anvil, but I'm looking for an actual anvil as the I-beam thing isn't cutting it anymore.

If you're seriously looking into forging, which I sorta doubt, it takes a good bit of money for the tools required to make quality stuff. It's not just the forge and anvil, you're gonna need a good belt sander or three, grinder, etc. It isn't exactly the sort of hobby you can do in your dorm room.
>>
>>901077
> can't afford a $60"game. Somehow going to get into metalworking with not enough budget
>>
>>901205
Actually I'm glad this thread got made. I just made a brake drum forge and was wondering what I should do with it. I saw some guy on YT make a leaf out of a piece of rebar. Any doodads you'd suggest making?
>>
>>901476
When I started with a simple brake drum forge the first things I made were tools. Blacksmith tongs, bending jigs etc. Found a book that listed a bunch of tools and how to make em and started there. Will go digging for it.

I also gave up on the brake drum forge sitting on bricks very quickly and welded a proper forge table together. Made the surface out of heavy enough plate that I could mount a vice to it and added a hardie hole to it as well (welded on some extra plate to give it some depth). Its a much better experience using a forge that is set in a proper table.

Have not touched any of it in a while though.

Books:

The Modern Blacksmith - Alexander G. Weygers

Also, pdf link to another book that isn't as good but still useful:
>>
>>901527
Forgot my link http://ftpforge.chez-alice.fr/Blacksmithing.pdf
>>
>>901071
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTzKIs19eZE
here and you are goood to go, just make it in bigger scale [spoiler]I dont know where to get bigger electrodes desu.[/spoiler] and dont forget about proper layering. Though it takes quite amount of electricity.
>>
>>901528
Really appreciate it anon!
>>
>>901528
Thank you based anon. I've been starting out in this by using tools I have at home and will make some tongs when my modified "long soupcan forge" is finished.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.