[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would have more force? a coil of 400ft of copper wire or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: a coil.jpg (7 KB, 257x196) Image search: [Google]
a coil.jpg
7 KB, 257x196
What would have more force? a coil of 400ft of copper wire or one of 200 ft?

the power source will be 700 volts

>more feet= more resistance
>>
this is assuming that wire is the same gauge (18 awg) and that the coil has the same cylinder length
>>
>>900744
>coil has the same cylinder length
what??
half length is double current so depends how you wind it, further out layers contribute less to a field in the centre.
>>
>>900750
so a longer coil would be more powerful?
>>
>>900750
this doesn't seem any different from making it longer. But which one would have more power?
>>
>>900753
>>900754
shorter coil will be more powerful.
the current will be higher while the turn density is the same.
except the higher current will heat the wire which will increase resistance and reduce the current. but if the wire is thick enough it will be fine.
>>
I know that in transformers its the amount of turns the coil makes rather than the density of the wire that makes the difference, is that something to consider I dont know what kind of power you mean. I actually dont know what you mean at all ive only ever built a lamp and even then it was a nightmare
>>
>>900743
Nice vape bro
>>
>>900743
>force
when talking electromagnets this is proportional to current times windings
>>
>>901481
>proportional to current times windings

Ampere-turns.

The current in 200 turns of wire will be twice that of 400 turns (same gauge wire, coil diameter, etc.). Half the resistance (length), same voltage. So the field will be the same.

In reality, the maximum current carrying capacity of the wire will have to be considered. More current, larger diameter wire. Which has lower resistance, so you'll get more current.

On the other hand, the voltage source isn't perfect. So pretty soon at high currents, the source resistance will limit the current available. The relationship is complex and results in a curve with an optimal combination of factors (coil size, number of turns, wire size, etc.).
>>
>>900743
Assume DC?
>>
>>901731
Assume capacitor.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.