[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Building an architectural model out of Basswood not entirely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
Building an architectural model out of Basswood

not entirely sure where to start, has to be a partial, setting up the bass and getting a good outline for the proportions shouldn't be too difficult, but what i'm more concerned about is how to get the detail. more specifically for the transept to the left.

out of basswood, or what would be more appropriate?

tl;dr how do i go about details for a basswood architectural model?
>>
>>900668
laser is the only way really
>>
>>900677
No access really, what about a dremel? Would I be better on gluing the details on? Or carving it into the center pieces?
>>
>>900684
>dremel
I wouldnt trust my hand or any bodys hand

>glue
glue what?

>carve
again, not trusting any hand

look, unless you have laser or cnc machine, this type of detail will take forever to make by hand, it is not worth it, it is 2015
>>
>>900692
Okay, well it's for a school assignment.

And glue the basswood together all

Mustn't be perfect detail, but just the gist if it. Where the Romanesque elements are visible and all
>>
You have access to a laser if you have a trophy shop close to you. Any place that sells awards and trophys has a laser. Obviously it wouldn't be free though.
>>
>>900705
id do thin basswood and print out a guide with all your cutting lines on it and stick it to the back of your piece with photomount spray and then cut it with a box cutter or exacto. Several thin layers of details built up would give you some of the window details you want, somewhat like pic related. You could also use chipboard and paint the whole thing. chipboard is a lot better for details than basswood. Foamcore board is also an option. also balsa is shit. also also I dont know if you have a school with an architecture program nearby but their bookstore will be a place to look for materials.
>>
>>900794
actually, foamcore and chipboard are also good options
i have access to an architectural studio, not sure what exactly is available though.

i have no idea how to do this stuff but you're saying just to use layers of thin wood to give detail by sticking upon the central pieces?

was just gonnna get the materials from hobby lobby or order them though

like 1/32" basswood pieces.
>>
Actually you might want to just use cartridge paper, use thick ones (200-300gsm), easy to knife out holes and easy to layer to get whatever effect you want, you can even preprint pattern on it with a printer
>>
Basswood sucks. Who told you to use that?
>>
>>901175
or foamcore, chipboard
>>
Wood burner would look nicest, but takes practice and artistry to use well. Full on model detail painting is an option as well.

Shortcut solution is print out some shit and glue it on.

Doing outlines with a fine point sharpie can get the classy line-drawing look if you are any good at that.
>>
>>902403
print out some shit?
>>
File: m_bryson0.jpg (76 KB, 765x449) Image search: [Google]
m_bryson0.jpg
76 KB, 765x449
>>902417
When you want a model to study how the volumes work and stuff there's not much point in wasting, time, effort and resources making an hyper detailed model so you can just print out the facades and glue them to your model. if it's not a presentation model but a working one it pays off to not making it so precious you wouldn't want to modify or damage.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.