[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need a knot that can carry out this function below. Can anyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
I need a knot that can carry out this function below. Can anyone point me in the direction of the type of knot it's called and a guide to do it?

>one end of the rope attached to something to be pulled
>middle of rope fixed/coiled to something solid
>second end of the rope loose, and can be pulled on to cause the first end to contract, without having to tie the second end in a knot or anything to stop the pulled object returning back to its position (i.e pulling the second end grips the solid object that the rope is coiled around).

If you really want to know why, me and this girl are in to light bondage, and when she's tied to the bed I want to be able to just tug the other end of the rope to tight her to the bed without having to attach the other end of the rope to something.
>>
>>900661
not without some kind of ratchet device in the middle.
like a sprung pawl that is at an angle and sprung so when you pull it one way it moves but pull it the other way and the pawl clamps the rope.
but just a knot? no i don't think so.

unless you count a taut-line hitch, a truckers hitch, a munter hitch or a guarde knot.
>>
>>900661
Google "exploding knots" and see if that helps at all.
>>
>>900661
Interesting cordage problem. Here's what I found. Your solution will probably have to be some variation of one of the following.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Rope-Tackle-for-Pioneering-Use-Truckers-Hitch/?ALLSTEPS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versatackle_knot

You basically need to make a block & tackle using only rope.
>>
>>900661
A Prusik knot is used by climbers to ascend a fixed rope. It meets your third requirement. A truckers knot has the pulley effect of your second requirement.
>>
>>900661
Thinking about it wrong.

The first end of the rope should be anchored (wrist).Second knot should be a one way sliding knot with the control being the open (unknotted) end. The rope between Post and wrist will be doubled.

|Post|====(wrist)-------{control}

Wish I had a good pic for you.
>>
>>900888
>Wish I had a good pic for you.
Wish OP would have, too...

OP, I think that as helpful as /diy/ can be, the BDSM community has much more hands-on experience (no pun intended) with these knots, and will probably be able to advise you on rope types, restraining harnesses etc.. Go look for some relevant discussion forums.
>>
There's no way I can think of to do all of those functions with a single length of rope.

The closest I can come up with is actually pretty simple, tying the fixed end of the rope to the post with a half hitch secured by a bight, and pulling the open end of the bight to instantly untie the knot. (think sort of like half a shoelace knot). That'd leave you with a rope around a post, that you could then pull to tighten. You'd have to retie a new knot to secure it again though, but with practice that could be fast and easy enough to work.

Everything else that might work either involves mechanical parts (eg, a ratchet/lock) or some very complicated structures with multiple fulcrums that may not actually work outside my head.
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 960x716) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 960x716
/bdsm/ checking in. Check my pic. Disregard that it looks like you are making traditional handcuffs. What you would be doing is making a knot that can be pulled tight to shorten the distance between the anchor point and the item to be pulled, and once tightened it will not slip back to original position. The length of the loops is only restricted by how much rope you have.

You could use one loop to attach directly to the wrist, tighten it, then hang the loop over the anchor point, pulling that end tight when needed. You could also use any other restraint on the wrist, attach a lead to it, then attach the other end of the lead to the loop if you don't want the knot near the wrist or just prefer it elsewhere.

Some points : the type should be cotton. Poly, silk, etc will not work unless you take the additional step to knot or anchor the loose end to keep it from sliding back. Getting the knot wet helps to for cotton, but if you use the right type you won't need it. Just keep the knot wrapped tight. You can also use two or four extra turns on the coils (pic shows 4) for added grip.
>>
>>900661
Munter hitch maybe
>>
>>901772

This is what I was thinking, though a Munters with a softer rope for what OP wants wouldn't hold very well I don't think.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.