[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's my girlfriends birthday soon and I want to get her
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 300x225
It's my girlfriends birthday soon and I want to get her some DIY stuff.

She's expressed interest in woodworking (like making tables, chess pieces) and pottery. Is there anything I can get her to go towards this?
>>
>>899965
lathe
find one with a pitchable headstock and you could do pottery on it too?
>>
>>899976

Is there anything she'd need in addition to that, or does it cover a lot of projects?

It seems expensive so I want to make sure it'll be suited for her
>>
>>899979
>It seems expensive

lathes are not expensive anon
women are expensive

a lathe will not do pottery
you need cutting tools for it depending what you want to do with it. they are noisy and messy but you can make round things like table legs and chess pieces on it.

if she is starting out woodworking and you want something cheaper get her an oilstone
>>
>>899965
Buy her a bag of clay
>>
>>899976
>lathe

Might as well gone head and get her a CNC machine and 3D printer.
>>
Buy her a rotary tool. Then she can practice doing fine detail work.
>>
>>899965
>It's my girlfriends birthday
>woodworking (like making tables, chess pieces)

She might be gay, son.
>>
>>899965
buy her a vacuum cleaner, girls love those things
>>
>>899965
Op ill trade you my shekels for your girlfriend.
>>
buy her one of those spinny things that you put the pottery on and form it to whatever you want. and get her a video dvd on how to do it and a big block of clay.
>>
File: img000026[1].png (596 KB, 992x1400) Image search: [Google]
img000026[1].png
596 KB, 992x1400
>>900116
this
>>
File: img000025[1].png (875 KB, 977x1400) Image search: [Google]
img000025[1].png
875 KB, 977x1400
>>900168
wrong page
>>
>>899965
>pottery

'Sup, OP, hope it's not too late.

Go into any hobby/crafts shop and you'll find almost everything you need. A basic set of simple pottery tools (basically a hard plastic binder of sorts with the tools wedged inside) is a couple of dollars: the two sticks with metal wire between them is for slicing a big chunk of clay to work with, the flat plastic/metal sheet is for flattening a clay sheet to reveal air bubbles, the pointy stick is for popping said bubbles and small details, the stick with two heads is for carving grooves of clay out of your sculpture, its fat friend is for gutting out lots of clay, I think, I'll be damned if I know what the sponge is for.

Where I live a 10Kg block of clay is fairly cheap (the direct equivalent in U.S. dollars is like $12), get her two of those to mess around with and she'll be set for several small projects or a couple of big ones. There are multiple kinds of clay; I only ever encountered 2, really - the grey smooth kind that needs firing (as in, in a kiln), and a cheap brown kind that air-dries but is very grainy and unpleasant to work with.

You'll also do wisely by getting her a small wooden plank or some other hard surface to work on (as in, something she can spin on her desk and carry around, that the clay won't stick to as much). I don't know the name for the top spinny-wheel thing - that's for changing the sculpture's angle towards you without directly touching it - but she can do without it if you can't find one.

She'll need a small bowl for water and maybe something to hold her tools but that's not an issue.

Hope this helps, somewhat.
>>
>>900432
Good info.

Glad to see someone post something helpful and not a bunch of crappy memes.
>>
>>899965
Pay for a woodworking or pottery course..
why would you buy some machinery if she doesnt even know what shes doing?

haven't you learned?

Signed
An adult
>>
>>900615
This. I'm a potter. The tools, equipment and knowledge to use them are best addressed in a class setting. Self-directed learning is easier after a formal introduction. Same for all craft. Ever wonder where most of the gently used equipment for sale online comes from? People buy shit they don't know what to do with and it sits in their garage for 5 years.
>>
>>900168
>>900170
Ha, looks like a Shimpo RK-2. Sauce?
>>
Alan Moore <3
>>
>>900615
This. Don't even let her get into a hobby like this etsy shit either, especially if her goal is to make a' little' money on the side.

I've got a garage full of gourds and doll clothes.
>>
>>900432
The sponge works like a sanding block does for wood. Get it damp and you can rub out scratches or seams from where your mold came together.
>>
>>899965
Alan Moore is your girlfriend?
>>
>>899965
For woodworking: Get her a Japanese hand saw and a pair of clamps. Not expensive and will get her pretty far. Also, a corded drill.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.