[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I was looking into buying a shop vac when I saw these Ridgid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 91A5WqhpGCL._SL1500_.jpg (215 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
91A5WqhpGCL._SL1500_.jpg
215 KB, 1500x1500
So I was looking into buying a shop vac when I saw these Ridgid ones which come with some praise. But then I noticed that they claim "6 peak HP". What does this mean?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that would mean it consumes over 4.4 kW which would instantly trip a 20 amp breaker. How much power would this thing really draw? I ask because I want to run the vacuum with a miter saw, which is no energy sipper itself and I'm afraid if I run both the saw and a vacuum at the same time I would trip the breaker. BUT then again I hear about people running power tools with vacuums all the time and I don't recall them mentioning running them off different circuits.
>>
>>899800
Bro dont worry that thing will suck a golf ball through a garden hose.
>>
>>899800
Olay nvm i read your post wrong.

Honestly to be honest I wouldn't run the vac with the chop saw.

We tried that at the shop where I work but the hose connected to a fat industrial vaccum and it was a waste of time and effort---most of the dust diverts away from the vaccum hose connector anyway.

Just make your cuts and the suck up the dust after.

And if it's too big of a problem get an air compressor and just blow the dust.
>>
>>899800
Means it generates the wind power that six horses running in the wild would create at their rear.
>>
>>899800
>What does this mean?

Abso-fucking-lutely nothing, same as any other power tool.

It might be a valid relative number between similar models from the same manufacturer (keyword: "might"), but it's almost an outright fabrication in terms of absolute numbers.

Only way to really know is to actually measure the current draw when it's running.
>>
Manufacturer's site says it draws 12 amps at 120V -> 1.4kW.
I'd assume the "peak HP" bullshit means that there's a flywheel of sorts. Or maybe it's just a blatant lie, like half of marketing stuff.
>>
File: FM-230.jpg (19 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
FM-230.jpg
19 KB, 500x500
>The rating for Peak Horse Power is found by taking the suction motor without its fans and adding as much load as possible without burning it out and then measuring the horse power using the formula which is based on torque per second. This results in a rating that is many times higher than the actual horse power of the motor.

tl;dr it's marketing flapdoodle. a 1 actual-hp dust extractor with a 4" air hose will comprehensively kick it's ass at collecting sawdust.
>>
>>899800
the power ratings in HP are all bull shit.

if you want a buy once nice and quiet vac for wood work, get a fein or a festool
>>
File: Dust Captain.jpg (716 KB, 3200x2400) Image search: [Google]
Dust Captain.jpg
716 KB, 3200x2400
Most important, add a cyclone filter. Here's a vid I made with a buddy, it's german but you will see the effectiveness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoIytFPtquE
>>
>>900353
die kosten doch einen arsch voll geld in d.
>>
>>900353
so, per the Germans, you're lying about its efficiency.
>>
>>900358
Das mag sein, allerdings ist der OP ja mit hoher Wahrscheinlichkeit nicht in D ansässig. Und es hat noch niemand bereut, für etwas Gutes etwas mehr Geld ausgegeben zu haben :-)
>>900491
Sorry, I don't understand. The one we used in the demo setup with the stainless cooking pot is the very one I use now in my workshop, one hour ago the last time. It's pretty efficient, I can tell you that.
Sorry OP for hijacking, but if you are concerned about your vacuum's power, operating it without clogged filters is certainly beneficial.
>>
>>899800
>tldr
The vaccum is amazing
>worrying about breakers tripping
>not using a different circuit
>not wiring your own breaker and extention cord
Kekd
>using a vaccum as such on a miter saw
Kekd
Pro tip: cut outside or just clean up with a broom
>>
>>900353
That's very cool. Almost a must have when you consider that the vac becomes almost a maintenance free tool besides dumping it out now and then.

Why aren't there shop vacs that are built with cyclonic filtering in mind? Do they make too much money jewing us on filters or what.
>>
>>899800
ignore HP, what you want to look at is the amperage. Typical breakers are 15-20 amps so if you're running a vacuum that takes 6-9 amps, you can only use 6-7 more amps . So most likely you will trip the breaker because miter saws are usually 15 amps and then you have to take into account for surges and startup amperage (which will usually trip the breaker if you're using almost all amps on the breaker). Solution: plug each in a different room or a 30-40 amp circuit .
>>
>>900173
>Under rated post
>>
>>901045
>$400+ shop vac
>>
>>901637
>bumping a thread after a day and a half of no replies with a shitpost
>>
>>899800
You can completely ignore anything from a big box retailer that advertises "peak power" its a useless marketing fluff term which provides no serious data about its performance.
>>
>>899935
This could be accurate, and if so, how is that supposed to trip a 30A breaker?
>>
>>899800
Witnessed.

Also if thats the same Ridgid vac that advertise every holiday, its a great value. I got one for my parents two years ago and they use it a surprising amount. They use it to vacuum their cars, the basement, and the occasional drain backup. They're really happy with it. Its perfect for a diy or homeowner, and even a discerning professional such as myself doesnt mind using it because the large hose diameter is harder to clog than the other cheap shop vac options.
>>
>>888888
>>
>899999
>>
>>900971
>Why aren't there shop vacs that are built with cyclonic filtering in mind? Do they make too much money jewing us on filters or what.

Exactly!
My Nilfisk hepa vac bags are $5 US each!

When his new "safety razor" wasn't selling as fast as he expected, King C. Gillette in 1901 told the salesmen to give them away free. The volume sales in proprietary blades made him millions.
>>
>>899800
I have a rigid shop vac. It's okay as a shop vac but an absolute piece of shit as a tool caddy. I don't understand why every shop vac manufacturer tries to build them so that the accessories fit in to the body. Every one is a piece of shit in that regard.

I wouldn't worry about how much power a shop vac has. They're all shop vacs.

The important thing to worry about is the container the motor sits on. Is it the right size for you? Do you intend on using it for vacuuming water often?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.