[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/diy/ lamps
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: 414276557.jpg (223 KB, 1026x1536) Image search: [Google]
414276557.jpg
223 KB, 1026x1536
so im plannning on building an industrual style lamp for my mum, thinking of pic related style, the external is easy, its just the internals that i need help with on how to / and where to buy the parts, any help would be much appreciated
>>
File: 416674446.jpg (344 KB, 1536x1536) Image search: [Google]
416674446.jpg
344 KB, 1536x1536
op still
>>
File: 419342692.jpg (265 KB, 2048x1535) Image search: [Google]
419342692.jpg
265 KB, 2048x1535
>>
Gives me some good ideas. Thanks.
>>
>>899009
its a drop light with an ugly stand
>>
File: Ceiling_Lights.jpg (30 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Ceiling_Lights.jpg
30 KB, 500x500
>where to buy the parts

I'm sure lamp parts exist (very basic, just a power cable going into a socket) and you might be able to search for them right now on Ebay, but I think the cheapest way to go apart it is to go to a yard sale and offer to buy a desk lamp for like a dollar and then rip it apart and do what you're going to do.

IMO, the best lamp is simply a ceiling mounted light fixture. It's out of the way and if it's centered in the room you spread out light the best.
>>
>>899009
just buy the wires and a bulb holder,
put all that together pass the chord in the tube and also buy a nice plug.
it's not difficult at all man. :)
>>
>>899009
Would look nicer if the lamp was just fixed to the frame directly instead of with the cable exposed.
>>899010
This on has just too big of a frame.

That's just my opinion though.
>>
>>899009
Would be cool to have one of these except it still retracts in and out
>>
You can buy cages for domestic builds off ebay and same for lamps fittings?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=171284331054
>>
>>899014
How would I change one of those?
>>
>>899011
>>899009
These look like garbage.

>>899010
This actually has some charm. It's very unusual. not great, but much better than the other two, which just feel lazy.
>>
File: lamp wiring.jpg (42 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
lamp wiring.jpg
42 KB, 600x600
there's absolutely nothing complicated about wiring a lamp. you pass the cut-off end of an extension cord thru your pipes, then strip the wires and screw into the base (bulb-holder). the base, with or without switch, can be found at any hardware store for about $5, or can be pulled from an old table lamp.

the only crucial bit is making sure the neutral wire ends up on the threaded part of the base, while the hot is safely down at the bottom of the base.

your mum will love your industrial lamp because she's your mum, but ONLY because of that. coz that shit is ugly. for $10 you can get a great looking classic lamp at the thrift store.
>>
>>899152
I would guess you just hold it with two hands a give it a little counter clockwise turn and the cover comes off.

>>899387
Using a drop light would make it even easier because he could label the wires as he's taking it apart to put back together later.

>>899009
I actually like this style, and may also make a couple. The last bathroom vanity I built is supported by black pipe legs, and I ran a light over my shower made from copper pipe and a blue glass mason jar as the light cover. A wall mounted three bulb light made in that style would fit right in with the vanity and mirror.
>>
Its just AC current on the internals. a positive and negative lead to the lightbulb socket into an Edison termination.
>>
>>900521
>positive and negative

Hot and Neutral
it matters.
>>
File: DSCF0865.jpg (1 MB, 1728x3072) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0865.jpg
1 MB, 1728x3072
>>899009
>>
>>900531
>hot
fucking top kek m8
>>
>>899009
Very nice work !
>>
>>899009
Very nice work OP !
>>
>>900553
I've got a strut/coilover I pulled out of my car and replaced. Since lamps seem to be /diy/'s hot meme build right now, I'm thinking about turning it into a lamp.
>>
>>899387
The base is part of the bulb. The SOCKET is what you are describing the wiring process for.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.