[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aluminum Casting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Squid Stein.png (36 KB, 535x662) Image search: [Google]
Squid Stein.png
36 KB, 535x662
Hey guys, I'm thinking of casting a beer mug with aluminum.

I already have a furnace and aluminum, but I'm trying to figure out the casting method.

So far, I have a card board sleeve over a pringles container, and a handle carved out of styro foam.

I'm also thinking about wrapping the sleeve with layers of paper to make a pattern like pic related.

Feel free to post other castings for examples or for shits
>>
Why not pewter?
>>
>>899022
I don't have access to much pewter
>>
>>898980
Update, I'll have the pringles on the outside and have a few coke cans inside stuffed with sand.
the aluminum will fill the blank space between.
After, I'll make a separate cast of the handle and place the body on top of it, the heat will join the aluminum where they touch.
>>
>>899028
So, you don't think the Pringles can will ignite when you pour liquid aluminum on it?
>>
>>898980
I would go lost foam all the way. Wouldn't it be better?
I don't believe much in paper form.
>>
>>899070
I'll have sand around it so I won't care much if it burns or not
>>
Won't that taste real metallic and gross? I know soda cans are aluminum, duh, but I've cut the tops off of those and used them as cups for water before and the metallic taste started to come out for some reason.

What other cool things can be made with aluminum casting? I thought about building a small foundry, but didn't know what to make aside from a few parts I need.
>>
>>899075
That cast is going to look like complete ass if you do it that way.
>>
I've never cast aluminum or anything like that before. Is this video on building a small foundry good? What makes for a good crucible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHD10DjxM1g
>>
>>899028
The heat will not join the two. Do you know anything about casting metals?
>>
>>901441
He could try brazing maybe. It doesn't have to be super strong if it's just a mug.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtvOkI_pvMI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDLPxqkHOyk
>>
>>899711
Former brewery worker here, the inside of the cans are lined with a special coating that prevents the liquid from ever directly touching the aluminum. Reuse and time probably wore that away on your cans. They're really not meant to be used more than once.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.