[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Halloween Costume Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8
File: Robots.jpg (642 KB, 2100x1750) Image search: [Google]
Robots.jpg
642 KB, 2100x1750
Hi /DIY/. I was wondering if you can offer a little advice on my costume. Basically I'm doing a classic robot, complete with cardboard boxes and that flexible aluminum tubing (basically like pic related). I'm building a couple of things to make it a more realistic robot, eg flashing LEDs, robot voice box, etc. I want to include a couple of motorized functions, which is where I need your help. I already have an arduino uno and two motor sheilds.

First motorized function is to make the head spin all the way around. Keep in mind this is basically just one cardboard box spinning on top of another. How should I hook up the motor? Is there some sort of material that I can use as a gear around a neck, or should I figure out how to 3d print a big old 10" gear, or what? I measured, and it turns out I need a 10" collar to be able to fit my fat head through it. Also, is there some kind of bearings that I can use to help it spin, or how can I mount the head to the body so it can spin freely? How strong of a motor am I going to need to spin the head, assuming it weighs, say, 2 lbs and has friction of cardboard against cardboard?

Second motorized function is just to open a small door on the front of the robot. I have a small metal fuse box that I'm going to mount in the front, and I'll just need the motor to open the door with a lever or something. Any advice on how to gear something up so that the motor, which spins, can move a metal plate through the motion of opening it? Sorry, but I'm just not a very mechanical person, and I just cant visualize a simple system for opening a door through a 90 deg. swing. Should I use a linear actuator that pushes at the top of the door? how strong would it have to be?

Sorry if these are trivial questions, but I'd appreciate your help.
>>
File: 20151018_015306.jpg (2 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151018_015306.jpg
2 MB, 3984x2988
A picture of the fuse box I want to mount.
>>
>>889798
IMO easiest way to achieve the spinning head would be to mount the motor on top of a hat or helmet, and have the robot head be attached to the motor and not attached anywhere else on the costume.
>>
>>889800
That's a pretty good idea. I can mount the electronics, including the motor, on top of a helmet. How much motor, and how much battery would you think is required? I was initially thinking of wiring 2 big 6 volt lantern batteries to make 12 volts that would last all night. I was thinking mount the batteries in the chest and run a pair of wires up the back of the neck to the helmet. I was thinking of a motor like
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/324/1528-1062-ND/5022791

Does this seem like enough?
>>
File: SKU133076 (1).jpg (33 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
SKU133076 (1).jpg
33 KB, 600x600
>>889808
That motor is overkill.

A $5 DC gear motor would work. The gearing gives it plenty of torque. Just get one with a suitable RPM (e.g. 30RPM). If it's 6V, you can try powering it with 3V (2xAA) or 4.5V (3xAA) to slow it down a bit further.
>>
File: SRV-TPSG90-360.jpg (301 KB, 1186x800) Image search: [Google]
SRV-TPSG90-360.jpg
301 KB, 1186x800
>>889849
If you want to control the direction and speed of the rotation with an arduino, get a *continuous* rotation servo. The speed is controlled with a PWM's duty cycle, which is easy to generate in an arduino.
>>
>>889850
Got it. I'm sure I can make this work.

Anyone have any advice on how to open the door on the panal box? Should I mount a gear on the side of the front panal and just turn the gear?
>>
>>890434
Anybody?

::crickets::
>>
>>889773
Not sure you could wear the head AND it spin.

You would have to have your head in the robot's chest and the robots head be above yours.
>>
>>891188
He could have a track with inner teeth on his collar similar to a diving suit. Then mount the helmet on and use a single planetary gear setup to rotate the helmet.
>>
>>890434
Fix a threaded rod to another one of these >>889850 and mount it in your box, get a nut on a stick to mount in your lid and voila you can open the fusebox by screwing and unscrewing the nut
>>
>>891208
Right, Op on /4chan/ is going to sort this out and make it work properly without looking like shit before 10/31.
>>
>>891219
Forgive my ignorence, but I'm still not quite seeing it here. If I attach the threaded rod to push at the bottom of the panal, the door won't open all the way. If I fix the threaded rod to push at the top of the panal door, it seems like I would need a ton of torque because the lever arm length between the pivot point on the box and the threaded rod is very small.
>>
>>891208
That's what I was thinking at first, but wearing a hard hat with a motor on top of it, and mounting the motor to the box head seems a lot simpler. Motor wires will be running up my back and neck to the hat, so no moving wires to tangle. It's basically like a giant propeller beanie, but the propeller blade is made of cardboard and wraps down around my face.
>>
>>891298
Bumping to see if OP can deliver
>>
File: 2015-10-24 23.55.03.jpg (1 MB, 1328x1328) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-24 23.55.03.jpg
1 MB, 1328x1328
Update: I got the motor mounted to the helmet.
>>
>>892808
Looking promising.
>>
File: Link.jpg (104 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Link.jpg
104 KB, 1600x1200
If you don't mind humoring me as well for a sec, what do you anons think I could do to make bracers/boots for a picrelated costume?

I'm a college student on a budget with no car, so my options may be a bit limited.
>>
File: 20151027_110348.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151027_110348.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>892808
Bumping to keep the thread alive. I have the arduino programmed, the mating pieces for the motors are 3D printed, and I expect to have most everything assembled tommorow.
>>
>>892808
Post updates when you have them, looks interesting.
>>
>>891208
over thinking it. The head just has to be quite a bit larger that his actual head, but that wouldn't look to weird on a robot.
>>
OP here. Quick question for people that can 4chan better than me. Can I upload a mms video from my phone? I'll try on this post.

Anyway, the motor started off seeming like it didn't have enough power, but I corrected the code a little, and it is just barely working now.

UPDATE: couldn't upload video. Will have pics soon.
>>
>>895799
Alright, posting video later today when I get home.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.