[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I found a TV outside and it seemed to be in perfect condition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: 1.jpg (419 KB, 2967x1197) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
419 KB, 2967x1197
I found a TV outside and it seemed to be in perfect condition but the power cord has been cut off. I opened up the back of the TV and the remnants of the cord was this connected to a 3 pin connector thing.

How would I go about fixing this? I've read about splicing connectors but I've never done that before and I'm not exactly sure how that works and what cords will work, most of the guides just assume you have the other end but I don't.
>>
File: fig_8_lead.jpg (9 KB, 300x258) Image search: [Google]
fig_8_lead.jpg
9 KB, 300x258
For a test just strip the inner wires and stick them in the end of pic related. If it works then do the job properly.
>>
>>886577
>perfect condition

Anon, they cut the cord because the TV is FUBAR, they don't want it on their conscience that someone might take it home, plug it in and either zap themselves or burn their house down. Some people waste shit simply because they upgrade to a better model and throw the obsolete stuff out but you really shouldn't fuck around with thrown out electrical goods unless you're a competent electrician and have a barren shed or some shit to test it out in.
>>
>>886701
Actually a lot of the time people will discard their electronic devices on the side of the road in good working order and people will drive around the neighborhood cutting the powercords off and taking them so they can sell them for their copper.
>>
>>886702
For real? I thought it was to stop people killing themselves with faulty goods.
>>
>>886592
>>886701
I tested it and it works perfectly. I'm going to assume someone cut the cord after it was dumped.
>>
>>886703

Can be both but you definitely see salvagers doing shit like this.
>>
If you live in the U.S. there should be a black wire and a white wire. Just cut a cord off something else and connect black to black white to white with wire nuts and you should be good to go.
>>
I hate douchebags that roll around town looking for electronics put out for garbage so they can cut the electric cables off of them. makes me want to shoot em with a shotgun when I see them do it.
>>
>>886762
You want to shoot people for making a bit of cash off someone else's garbage? Kinda harsh ain't it?
>>
>>886767
no because if I put something out that is working I'd rather you take the whole thing than break the damn thing so someone else can't use it who could need it. especially in big box tvs there is more copper inside than in the cable.

they are like people who take their dogs for a walk and have then shit in other people's yards and don't clean it up.

there is an asshole who does this periodically in my neighborhood thinking he can get scrap from cables and computer parts. so I had an empty computer casing which I had filled with cat shit. I put it out on the curb and sure enough he picked it up.
>>
I don't know about the US but in aus we cut powercords if anything dangerous could happen plugging it in,
>>
>>886703
>>886702
>That guy that was stealing copper from the wiring in homes
>Went missing for like a week
>Turned out he had fried himself trying to take copper from an house under construction on a holiday so it was a long time before they found his body.
I may have some of the details wrong.
>>
File: 1246742283427.jpg (80 KB, 688x547) Image search: [Google]
1246742283427.jpg
80 KB, 688x547
>>886762

if the TV works its probably worth alot more to sell than the 4 foot power cord they cut off... this seems to be retarded... you arent going to get shit for that ONE 4 foot cord, and would get alot more for the TV, as long as its not a old ass CRT
>>
>>887311
It's not worth lugging the TVs around. Getting the cords are quick and easy.
>>
File: 800px-CRT_color_enhanced.png (414 KB, 800x640) Image search: [Google]
800px-CRT_color_enhanced.png
414 KB, 800x640
>>887311
and if it is CRT, there is way more copper inside it than the cord
and getting it is quick and easy if you have a hammer or any other heavy and dull object
>>
>>887311
>if the TV works its probably worth alot more
>if... probably
see the problem?
>>
>>887341
no if your going to be a vulture take the whole thing. don't be a massive d-bag and cut the cable. this why I gave my local vulture a computer case filled with shit.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.