[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/RCG/ - rc general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 62
File: you.jpg (61 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
61 KB, 450x600
Share your planes, helis, boats, multirotors (quadcopters), cars, hovercrafts or anything else rc you have made.
>>
>>861194
old one

also where the fuck do i get batteries now? hobbyking shipping prices are too high.
>>
>>886341
Aliexperss, lok for the store RC Battery Store. They last like 3 weeks-2months
>>
>>886340
Does that actually work?
>>
How different is flying something like an inspire from something like a 180qx?
>>
>>887763
>fans facing wrong way
no
>>
>>887776
>not realizing this is a diy quadtunneler...
>>
File: IMG_20151014_083045.jpg (805 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151014_083045.jpg
805 KB, 3264x2448
I just built a ZMR250. Will crash it soon and post photos. Wish me luck.
>>
reposting

Serious question:

How could I make money with a quadcopter? I've heard real estate photography is pretty good, but I don't have a car (though I do have a bike and legs) so it would be a bit difficult.
>>
>>886340
> literally a radio control

My sides
>>
File: IMG_1539.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1539.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I just got a chinese CC3D kit in the mail. The power distribution board didn't really work out sandwiched between the frame so I went with wires.

I think I need to resolder everything because it doesn't seem to power things smoothly. I tried to fire it up and it nearly flipped itself because the motors were jumping from idle to high power.

I'll have some wire and heat shrink next week to redo it.
>>
>>888323
Depends on the grade of camera you've got on your quad. On something like a Syma X5C? Forget it. On a Phantom? We may be getting somewhere.

If you're in the US, though, it's illegal to fly multirotors commercially without a Section 333 exemption (you have to have at least a sport pilot's license).
>>
>http://fortune.com/2015/10/16/drones-register-department-of-transportation/

FED GET OUT REEEEE
>>
gotta love cheap chinese quadcopters, 33041 and FQ777-124 are great
>>
7km out and back with a Twinstar. I actually wanted to go up a mountain but I did not know the mountain line was at an angle. So the right side was much further back then the left side...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9S7yodocdM
>>
>>888314
What purpose do the extra wires between the esc and the motor serve?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qm9Z6BABrU

First run with the stabilizer. (needs some tuning)
>>
>>890042
probably incase a crash and a leg broke off. then they would have some travel.
>>
>>888314
Is it your first build? If so don't worry, I've crashed my ZMR250 plenty of times and it's still okay.
>>
>>890042
>>890189

I was lazy and didn't trim the motor wires so it was easier to solder.

Not worried about crashing and breaking stuff, it's a necessary part of progression. Unfortunately it's been super windy in NZ for the last few weeks so haven't been out for a proper fly yet
>>
I have a naze32-based quad right now.
After doing some research I get this feeling that if I want to add a few more motors and features (say, for normal land-based wheeled motion and staff like that) and I don't have extra PWM ports it's actually a better idea to get a second FC board with separate Rx and just switch to it when landed — as opposed to trying to shove more features onto the first FC board and it's six control channels, that is.
Thoughts? (Let's assume that I will be able to get all these things within the weight limit of parent setup.)
>>
Realistically how much would I expect to pay making a quad or plane with a camera to.fly by wire with? Not literally fly by wire, just a HUD display like a remote a cockpit.

I want to make out for /out/ivities.
>>
>>890297
The simpliest quad with real-time video feed costs about 100-150$.
It only works up to about 100 meters or something like that and has about 5-10 minutes of battery life.
All-in-all DIY projects start at about the same price tag — but can have better (or worse, lol) parameters.
So the question is — how far do you want to go and how long to you want to stay in the air?
>>
Are drones a Reddit meme like vaping and atheism?

Because RC aircraft have been around for decades in hobby circles.

I don't understand what the fucking deal is, honestly.
>>
>>890335
It's the ease of use. RC-Flight takes skill.
Multirotor platforms became possible with stabilisation systems. But they didn't just became stable, they became easy enogh to be flown by an unskilled person. In contrast to usual modell aircraft you can take your hands of the remote for several seconds and don't end up crashing.
>>
>>890340

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.
>>
>>890340
As a side note — better stability and lower prices also resulted in much smoother and more forgiving learning curve, where you can learn to fly an inexpensive, safe (50g of weight are just NOT going to have enough momentum to do any serious damage) and virtually indestructable micro-sized stuff.
>>
File: single axis gyro tricopter.png (360 KB, 455x309) Image search: [Google]
single axis gyro tricopter.png
360 KB, 455x309
>>890347
Yea, good call. IIRC Single axis gyros were available for quite a while but they used to be rather expensive.
>>
>>890303
Hmm. I wanted to take it camping and skim above the trees, or scout out some cliffs for caves.

Distance would be minimal, but maybe 1/hr flight between charges? Assuming a solar charger would be capable of charging it.
>>
>>890576
1 hours flight time (or 30 minutes even) and being able to actually see caves (or what-not) from above the trees (I assume you don't magically have great FPV piloting skill to be able to pilot it by FPV among the trees) actually means we are looking at something that will most likely costs you 1000$ or more.
>>
My uncle owns a furniture store that's going out of business. Basically I can get a bunch of ceiling fans from him for free. Could I make a quadcopter out of ceiling fans and a few car batteries
>>
>>890051
You link a video from months ago?

???
>>
>>890691
That's the next step after making one out of blender motors and an Arduino
>>
>>890335
ive wondered what the big deal is about RC drones too. I'm a real pilot and I hear about it nonstop.

I think Its really because its a platform you can do stuff on, instead of purely an entertainment thing like an RC 172 is. And anyone can do it, nearly right off the bat.

I just saw at target today they have a parrot bebop you can just buy off the shelf and have fly-to gps locations, fpv to remote and other stuff. the really expensive ones you have to actually try to crash them. also you dont need a rc airfield where the regulars are utter and complete cockmunchers most of the time.

i think they are a little fad-y right now but i dunno, they get cheaper and better but no less practical so more people want them. whats really gonna make them blow up is when amazon gets their faa rules pushed through.breace yourselves when that goes down
>>
>>890724
>I think Its really because its a platform you can do stuff on, instead of purely an entertainment thing like an RC 172 is. And anyone can do it, nearly right off the bat.

This is it.

RC flight is hard, especially if you start talking about something like 3D helis (your first few hours are just trying to hover, then not break it when you land).

Multicoptors are stupidly stable, even if you're talking about full acro mode (3D is more complicated, but few will be dumb enough to jump in there with no experience), you can be up and doing crazy shit both because of the inherent stability and the onboard electronics.

Multis are a massive shortcut in the learning curve.

Add into that that doing shit like video/photos which are cool just because it's a view you don't often see...
>>
Just started hand drawing up plans for a gas powered airplane. Construction will be balsa wood skeleton with monokote skin, wingspan is 48" chord of 9.5" and Fuselage length will be 36".

Any tips for balancing center of lift and gravity? I haven't bought a motor or servos/radio. What brands do I look for?

Also I don't expect this to p.fly first time. Tweaking the model is what I'm excited for.
>>
I got a 250 racing quad, and have been loving it. I am getting a good bit better at it but I cant fly in acro mode well enough to actually fly around with it unless I am high up.

Still it was a great buy and I am overall really happy for it.
>>
How do I get into this kinda stuff?
I'm more interested in the plane style over the quad copter.
>>
>>891859
Lurk rcgroups and flite test. Hobbyking will be your (cheap) friend.
>>
>>890691
Yes do it.
>>
>>891859
I've not bought from them myself, but I hear good things about banggood.com
>>
>>891859
>>892003
hobbyking for parts.
>>
>>892003
banggood is great for dirt-cheap RTF products for practicing on. after a few banggood/gearbest quads/helis/planes you can go and build a proper one, using parts from banggood, free (month long shipping all around the world makes it great for ultra-jewish builds
>>
>>886340
Hello guys! My name is Mike and I have a question for you all.

The question is below this sentence:

What is a good drone that has an included camera and a remote (with screen! or I can use smartphone as screen but preferably with screen) that has a DECENT range?

Most drones I find are 30meters which is not far at all. I have now some beginner experience with a small nano drone for inside, but I want to learn to fly a drone with camera for outside too. One with a camera on board so I can fly in first person. I have hard time orientating when I turn 180 degrees (when the controls are reversed) and i hoped flying in 1st person would make stuff easier. Since I am already very good at flying games on the computer, I think first person drone flying is gonna be good for me.

But 30 meters does not seem far at all. I rather have 100 or even 300 meters.

So is there anything like in the 100 dollar range that does this?
Thanks for your reading and replies! cya around
>>
>>890335
its very easy to fly, i bought a small nano one for 30 bucks when i was drunk and mastered it within the same night
>>
>>893936
buuuump
>>
File: IMG_20151027_224211.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151027_224211.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
This seems to be the only way the esc fits, I'm afraid the capacitor might break off. Wat do?
>>
File: IMG_20151027_224252.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151027_224252.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
>>
File: Screenshot_5.png (1 MB, 933x721) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_5.png
1 MB, 933x721
>>
Is there something in the tube preventing you from putting the cap into the tube? Aka rotate it 180°, route cables below esc into the tube.
>>
Sup anon, I want to send flight commands from my application on iPhone to quadcopter. What should I use as flight controller? I've evaluated two ways:

Use Arduino + MPU-6050 + Arduino-Quadcopter. Send commands from iPhone via minijack and FSK-Arduino-iOS or via bluetooth/wi-fi.
Use some flight controller(idk which one) and some bluetooth/wi-fi board connected to it? Not sure if there is any protocol which I can use here.
Any suggestions?
>>
>>893936
>So is there anything like in the 100 dollar range that does this?
No. 50-100m of range AT BEST is as far as you are going with 100-200$ pre-build quads with FPV.
>>
>>894195
That looks like a bad idea. Can you put the ESCs anywhere else, like zip tied to the arm?
>>
Where can I learn more about theory? I am interested if there's a book or other comprehensive material that explains it.

Also would like to get into GPS integration and devices that can be programmed and have memory.

So far I've got my eye on: Drone University by John M. Glover and Build Your Own Quadcopter by Donald Norris.
>>
>>894195
glue it into place
>>
File: 6085729.jpg (20 KB, 249x123) Image search: [Google]
6085729.jpg
20 KB, 249x123
I like to challenge myself with random concepts, then I have to work out a solution.

This time I'm going to make my own pop pop boat but I thought I could give it a little remote controlled rudder (possibly solar powered with a small battery)

I have the servos and things to make the rudder but I've never really worked with RC stuff. Is there a universal remote I can buy to control my own things? And what sort of receiver would I use?
>>
>>894989
This does sound interesting.
If you get the answer you are after share your results.
>>
>>894989
This guy does stuff like that.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=34ssD8e0Ncs
>>
File: remote.png (182 KB, 496x498) Image search: [Google]
remote.png
182 KB, 496x498
>>894989
>>894992

Did some research and decided to invest in this as an intro to RC. $35USD, $50AUD

Flysky FS-GT3B 2.4G 3CH Transmitter+Receiver
>>
File: RC.png (309 KB, 704x288) Image search: [Google]
RC.png
309 KB, 704x288
>>895439
Also decided to make something like this as another project.
>>
fucking hate quads

i grew up flying rc fixed wing, and later electric helis.

quads and drones are fucking ruining the hobby.
>>
>>891859
join AMA
(insurance, access to flying fields, magazines and helpful people)

hobby king for Chinese parts and lipo batteries.
>>
File: props.png (2 MB, 1237x837) Image search: [Google]
props.png
2 MB, 1237x837
Just finished putting my first build together. I bought some carbon fiber props for it and they're slightly larger than all of my other props but I want to try to use them. Is this clearance going to be a problem? I imagine they'll give each other turbulence with the tips so near. Can I fly it like this? I have a whole bunch of smaller plastic props, I just want to try out the CF ones.
>>
>>894664
I know you can do this with pixhawk/arducopter and mission planner using a telemetry antenna that hooks into your usb, but a pixhawk is $200 and not sure if there are cheaper alternatives
>>
>>895446
can you explain your position more? I don't see how multirotors are actively infringing on fixed wings, if anything the general interest in multirotors will only improve fundamental tech like batteries and transmitters that will also help fixed wings
>>
>>895518
The apm 2.5 is cheaper. You can get it on eBay.
>>
>>895504
That won't be a problem. As long as they are not touching each other. There might be some turbulence, but it would be minor.
>>
>>887776
Maybe the image is flipped?
>>
>>895519
I'm not the guy you're responding to, but most old geezers are angry because multis bring attention to the hobby, from the media as well as politics. With that comes the danger of being collateral damage when regulating this Scary New Thing™, e.g. compulsory registration.

The funny thing is that all of this has happened before and all of this will happen again: When RC helis became popular, they were also discussed as being too dangerous (opposed to quads they actually have a kill count of 1) and shunned by some AMA clubs. If you visted multiple AMA clubs you'll sometimes notice that the heli pilots keep to themselves, it's a leftover from that era.
>>
File: My Movie.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
My Movie.webm
2 MB, 854x480
Umm, I guess you guys probably hate me but I'm new to all this so give me a break.

I just got done glueing a mount to the camera on my X5C-1 that allows me to quickly swap through a handful of different lenses.

Tomorrow I'm going to open the transmitter and install a "real" 2.4ghz antenna for more range.

Here's a short snippet of the first flight with a wide-angle lens fitted, I know the quality is shite but that's fine, it's only for fucking about.
>>
>>895675
Have you actually gone out of range on it. Where i live I don't have enough room to fly line of sight and breaking the connection.
>>
>>895688
A few times yes, it just drops out of the air beyond a certain range. If I'm going straight up that's not an issue, it just reconnects and flies again but if I'm moving horizontally it just plops down into a field
>>
File: My Movie.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
My Movie.webm
3 MB, 854x480
>>895690
In this clip you see it climbing higher and higher then right at the end it cuts out. Signal was lost at that point and the little dude fell a good distance then reconnected and stabilised. The video itself didn't cut out but I had to trim it there to keep below filesize yet keep the cool flip.
>>
File: 20150823_231454.jpg (881 KB, 3200x1800) Image search: [Google]
20150823_231454.jpg
881 KB, 3200x1800
>>895441
This is beyond awesome, what was used for the frame?

I have a few helis and quads, this is my latest build
>>
>>895857
Looks like they used steel rod and a TIG welder to build the frame, I don't have access to a TIG even though I know how to use them so I'm going to make it out of brass rod and solder.
>>
I have a problem.

I have a CC3D Atom and I can't get it working. I can hook it up to my computer with USB and configure it, set the ESCs and everything then upload to the flight controller, but as soon as I do that it becomes an unrecognizable device and I can't connect to it again.

If I reload firmware by starting the rewrite thing and plugging in the USB cable while it's running, it'll find it and reset everything, but then I have to reconfigure and as soon as I save it again it stops working.

I tried using an older version of GCS and I used another computer to no avail.

This is frustrating... so close but I can't use my new quadcopter
>>
File: motors.png (28 KB, 1821x428) Image search: [Google]
motors.png
28 KB, 1821x428
>>895891
Okay, I sorted the issue out... I spent 2 hours on it last night and an hour on it tonight, and the USB cable wasn't fully seated in the port. It's very snug and I pressed hard and it managed to click in a bit further and it corrected all of my issues there..

Now that I can fire the thing up I have a new problem. One of my motors is much faster than the others. I calibrated my ESCs at the same time and they're all the same model. I don't know what the problem is. Any suggestions? I've re-re-recalibrated it and nothing seems to do it. What am I missing? Is it because I'm using shitty chinese ESCs? I do have some new ones coming in the mail but I want to make sure I'm not the problem.
>>
Anyone here ever made an RC scramjet (or at least anything RC & supersonic)? It's a grand project I'd like to do someday.
>>
>>895957
>supersonic
How much money do you have?
>>
>>896001
I know that, I didn't make a video of it and that was the only thing that shows how different one of the motors is. It engages at a much lower setting, and it runs much faster than all of the others. It even does it when I'm just testing things with openpilot.

Even at low throttle it runs faster than the others and it sounds like it goes faster than the others at max throttle. It's as if it's a different motor than the others, but my motors came in a set as well as the ESCs.
>>
>>895982
I don't think it would be all that expensive as long as they were willing to strap a rocket motor to it and build a lot of it by hand.
>>
Any of you guys have your radio license? I just realized I need to get one if I want to do FPV. There are no tests anywhere near me but there's one where my parents live in a few weeks so I think I'll drive out there to take it.

Now I just need to study. Anyone know of any good study guides online? I went looking and found many dead links to old websites and links to books for sale. I just want to study online.
>>
File: fuckthisgayearth.gif (3 MB, 375x211) Image search: [Google]
fuckthisgayearth.gif
3 MB, 375x211
>tfw ham license doesn't allow you to place transmitters on flying models in your country
>>
>>894721
anyone that is not prebuild then?
>>
>>896883
husban x4 is going to be your best option
>>
4fans
>>
>>896623
Just do it anyway, fuck the police.
>>
>>896929
but thats an indoor gimmick

I was thinking about maybe buying a seperate camera that also has wifi so I can use it under any drone capable of lifting it

What is a good hd camera that also sends out an wifi signal so I can connect it to my phone and use it for fpv flying?
>>
>>896929
hubsan x4 isnt fpv
>>
>>896623
i dont even know if my country has laws or what the fuck HAM means

do you mean video thingy on your drone?

who cares, its not like police checks on that shit
>>
>>898263
Ham = informal name for a radio amateur.
Your country is pretty much guaranteed to have laws for it. You need a license and to get it, there's an exam.
>>
File: fpv.png (38 KB, 888x517) Image search: [Google]
fpv.png
38 KB, 888x517
How much distance would I get with this set?
>>
>>898320
forgot links

http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-CCD...era-Lens-w-5_8G-FPV-Transmitter-p-977402.html
http://www.banggood.com/FPV-5_8G-8CH-200mW-AV-Wireless-Receiver-RC305-p-73203.html

Wondering how far I can get with this combination.

100meters? 200m? 500m? 1000m?
>>
File: P1070782.jpg (420 KB, 1200x801) Image search: [Google]
P1070782.jpg
420 KB, 1200x801
Do you lot like RC cars here or is it all drone stuff?

Just completed the chassis part of a tamiya XV-01. Had a great time making the thing, it's a masterpiece of miniature engineering - fascinating stuff. I mean, it's the first of its kind I've made since I was 12 (a loooong time ago now) so take that into account, but fuck yeah, it's awesome.

Gonna paint and decal up the shell (lancia delta HF rally car) this weekend.
>>
reminder that every time you see some news report about a drone being found somewhere it shouldn't or peeking in ladies rooms or whatever

its always
ALWAYS
a DJI phantom

normies shouldn't be able to drone.
you can only drone if you built your own
>>
>>898321
1000m top
>>
>>898371
It's the Apple of Multirotors.
>>
>>898453
>overpriced
>white plastic case
>no servicability
>no customization
>owner is always a faggot
>>
>>898263
>>896286
>>897377
>>896623
Everything's legal when cops are not around :)
>>
>>898366
so what fun things can you do with it?
>>
>>898669
Your insurance can use it as an exuse to deny coverage after something happens though, even if the cops weren't around and even if it wasn't affecting flight performance at all.
>>
>>898778
so far just drive it about in circles in front of my feet - it's fully dark before I get out of work and my road has no street lights.

it's definitely a scale rally car, so no massive jumps and super rough terrain. I like that about it, you have to think more than i did with my last RC car (point and shoot, bounce over anything more or less). I plan to mark out a scale-ish rallycross circuit somewhere on the farm i work at and have some fun.
>>
File: Photo on 7-11-2015 at 6.44 pm.jpg (174 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 7-11-2015 at 6.44 pm.jpg
174 KB, 1080x720
My 600mm Hex.
Have a couple of 250 quads also.
>>
>>898400
ok thanks
>>
>>898211
Good luck with that. You're going to need to open up your budget.
>>
File: damping.png (72 KB, 954x975) Image search: [Google]
damping.png
72 KB, 954x975
Does anyone know what size hole these damping balls are meant for? I bought a 30 pack of damping balls when I bought all of the parts for my kit, and they are too large.

The holes are 5.5mm in diameter with one of the 8 being 6.5mm presumably to make the last one easier to insert.

I've dug through hundreds of listings and any time I see the hole size listed it's always for a larger sized hole (dji dampening balls).

What size do I buy? My frame is the same as these
>>895504
>>888900
>>888314

I figured the walkera ones would be the right size, I just want to ask you guys before I spend money and wait a week or two for them to arrive from china so I can find out.
>>
File: 1441439859702.jpg (41 KB, 550x512) Image search: [Google]
1441439859702.jpg
41 KB, 550x512
I want to use a bldc motor in a go kart. Where can I get a brushless motor in the 2000+ W 100ish kv range? I'm looking at 24-36v range. Also, how easy is it to add sensors to an uncensored bldc?
>>
>>898974
yeah come to think of it im not gonna do wifi, i have heard that wifi sucks and has a max range of 30m

I was thinking about the Cheerson CX 20 as a nice beginner complete quad

thoughts on that one guys?
>>
Stupid question ahead.
I've got myself a cheap quad for a first 'serious' flying thing. After some time I've managed to kill one of the engines. Being noon I've started wondering if I could exchange all for motors for brushless equivalents, as a learning experience. Question is, will it be as simple as soldering engines to old cables? Or should I let dead drone and just go on and buy 250 chassis?
>>
File: cheerson.png (450 KB, 1897x768) Image search: [Google]
cheerson.png
450 KB, 1897x768
>>899398
Looks good if you want something to just tool around in. It doesn't look like it's going to be zipping around if that's what you're looking for.

http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_113550.html?wid=2?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=gaolinan&utm_campaign=Dustin%20Dunnill%20CX%20-%2020
>>
File: P1070897.jpg (421 KB, 1200x801) Image search: [Google]
P1070897.jpg
421 KB, 1200x801
xv01 is coming along nicely. those large stickers are a bit of a fucker but i discovered the soapy water and hairdryer method and they turned out better than expected.

started work on a scale (ish) rally stage in the garden too.
>>
>>899410
That looks really cool, cant wait to see the track.
>>
>>899409
zipping around? as in racer?
>>
>>899531
ta dude.

track is currently a bit of a mudfuck but i'm gonna hopefully nab some stone/gravel/whatever from work and make it a little better.
>>
>>899553
Watch the videos on gearbest. It isn't a very acrobatic multirotor.
>>
>>899406
>exchange all for motors for brushless equivalents
So does it have brushed or coreless motors now? If yes, then no.
>>
>>899410
Fuck yes Group B.
>>
>>899647
I swear, writing posts on smartphone without physical keyboard is a recipe for disaster.

And yeah, as far as I understand engines are cheapish brushed ones. One that failed did it after circa four hours of flight time. Already ordered spares.
So this leads to the main question - is link related good product to buy and build on? I, as glasses user, will rather stick with screen for for but is the flying platform worth its price?
>>
File: Lancia_Delta_S4_005.jpg (495 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Lancia_Delta_S4_005.jpg
495 KB, 1280x720
>>899648
While i fully agree with your sentiments, unfortunately that's a group A Delta from 1992. Still did a lot of winning though.

The S4 was the mid engined group B version, pic related. Fuckin group B man - what the fuck were they thinking. Awesome.
>>
>>899797
not meaning to sound sarcastic btw, it just always comes out that way in the earlier parts of the morning.
>>
>>899619
ok yeah idont need that anyway
>>
File: P1070902.jpg (440 KB, 1200x748) Image search: [Google]
P1070902.jpg
440 KB, 1200x748
More or less finished the XV01... Stickers all finished last night, just got to sort out the body mounting proper. It sure isn't perfect but from 6 foot up in the air when it's sat on the floor it's easily good enough.

I really enjoyed it, it's been such a long time since I did model stuff but daam it's satisfying. Took me a week of evenings more or less to do this one, got my moneys worth already, I don't even need to drive it and it's been worth the money.
>>
>>899769
>is link related good product
B-but you posted no link Anon.
>>
File: 20151109_180438.jpg (1 MB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
20151109_180438.jpg
1 MB, 2656x1494
i got a rc heli in the post today...
>>
>>899861
>lots of native eastern European curse words.
http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Racer-250-FPV-Drone-w-Eachine-I6-2_4G-6CH-Transmitter-7-Inch-32CH-Monitor-HD-Camera-RTF-p-1008942.html?p=842322733432201408CW
>>
>>899908
heh, that wide wallpaper
>>
Can someone help me find the best FPV set on banggood? Excluding monitor.

I am kinda doubting between 200mhz and 600mhz. 200mhz might not be powerful enough and 600mhz seems a lot of overkill. Shame they dont have anything in between. Also I keep hearing about transmitters overheating, so what is the best FPV set for around 50 bucks? Preferably lightweight camera and transmitter ofc.
>>
like this set for example:

http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-700tvl-13-Cmos-FPV-110148-Degree-Camera-w32CH-Transmission-p-974874.html
http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-FPV-5_8G-32CH-Wireless-AV-Receiver-RC832-p-975426.html

but it seems to get really hot and then cut out after a few minutes, also the cam doesnt seem to be really good and it probably needs better antennas but hey what do you expect at that price

so anyone got an alternative?
>>
>>900623
>>900624
oh gearbest or something is fine too, i rather buy everything at once though since i also wanna buy a Cheerson CX 20
>>
I have been looking into wifi spy tanks (little tanks with cameras that connect to your wifi so you can drive through your house from everywhere) but for 60 bucks i think its kinda expensive.Is there any way to make one yourself? And then im mostly interested in the controlling parts, electronics and app, not the driving and mechanics
>>
>>900639
I found this one for 30 bucks

http://www.banggood.com/RC-Car-Tank-777-270-Mini-Wi-Fi-Camera-Support-iPhone-iPad-iPod-Controller-p-977225.html

but i am a bit unsure of it since i cant find it but is it only available for iphone? i have android myself, and i would like to use a windows pc for it too.

and does it only work when im on the same wifi network? or can I drive this thing in my house from everywhere in the world where I have internet connection?
>>
>>900976
oh it does support android

but my other question still stands, can i control it from anywhere or do I have to be on my home wiif network?
>>
You are poor
>>
>>886340
You are poor.
>>
File: viking.jpg (286 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
viking.jpg
286 KB, 2048x1365
>>899908
Ew, flybar. that's nasty.

Joking aside, nice.

Pic not related, I just like this picture of my little biplane.
>>
File: 4657_photo_1.jpg (16 KB, 300x283) Image search: [Google]
4657_photo_1.jpg
16 KB, 300x283
So I bought this to play around with, it comes with a receiver with 3 channels, I've hooked that up to a 9v battery and a servo so I can steer things. But what should I read up on to understand how to set it up to control a motor as well?

(You can also use it as a pc controller, can't wait to try some racing games)
>>
>>895957
Oh anon, you can't go and replicate the V-1 flying bomb.
>>
>>890691
Attach them to a weather ballon and dump some imitation crab meat over canada
>>
File: track .jpg (1 MB, 2000x1335) Image search: [Google]
track .jpg
1 MB, 2000x1335
Rally track for my lancia pretty much done.

It needs some barriers in a few places where there's a nasty hole, maybe some beautifying with more of those light stones in a few spots.
>>
>>899908
That nice computer setup and yet you don't have a side panel.
>>
>>902424
That's a bit cute. What do the chickens think of your rally car?
>>
>>902821
Haven't run it with 'em out yet but I'm hoping they appreciate serious business RC replica model hobbyism enough to keep out the way... They did love the track before the gravel went on and dug a fuck ton of holes in it (cunts) but now they seem to leave it alone thank god
>>
File: gpma1047a-2.jpg (12 KB, 640x274) Image search: [Google]
gpma1047a-2.jpg
12 KB, 640x274
reminds me, I probably should fix my glider up,

Anyone know a good way to DIY a new body for a spirit elite? Is balsa still the easiest?
I'd some of that slick round stuff if possible, pic related
>>
>>902847
maybe you could do it with carbon fiber? like make the shape with foam and then carbon fabric over that.
>>
File: P1070945.jpg (704 KB, 1500x1001) Image search: [Google]
P1070945.jpg
704 KB, 1500x1001
Another pic of the rally track now it's been decorated and had some barriers put in.
>>
File: P1070950.jpg (731 KB, 1000x1498) Image search: [Google]
P1070950.jpg
731 KB, 1000x1498
>>904842

It's a fuckin hoot.
>>
Could i run 2 motors off 1 esc if the motors would be physically connected and on the same roation position?
>>
>>905282
Depends. Are they brushless?
>>
File: multiple-rc-helicopters[1].gif (78 KB, 500x297) Image search: [Google]
multiple-rc-helicopters[1].gif
78 KB, 500x297
>>886340
Daily reminder that flying a quad is like riding a bike with training wheels, only children and retards do it.
RC helicopters are faster, more maneuverable and cheaper, also more fun since you actually control it instead of all your inputs being just suggestions to an onboard computer
>>
>>904842
>>904846
Video?
>>
>>905320
>actually control it instead of all your inputs being just suggestions to an onboard computer
Huh? "Acro" mode on a quad acts pretty similar to a CP heli. It holds attitude but that's it.
>>
>>905391
Editing one right now as it happens... It'll be a couple days though I imagine, it's a fiddly fucker.
>>
>>905489
Nigga how the fuck do you think you're controlling 4 separate engines with a single throttle and joystick?
That's right, you're not. You're sending "I wanna go left lol" to the computer and it does the maneuvering for you.
"Acro" or whatever just eases up the tolerances a bit. It's like when your mom puts her brand new TCS/STC/ABS/ESC/WTF Volkswagen in "sport mode" to "be a little crazy" when grocery shopping. All that happens is that some values in the car's computer change from 1.0 to 0.4
>>
>>905558
>You're sending "I wanna go left lol" to the computer and it does the maneuvering for you.
The first hobbyist multicopter was controlled by 4 heli gyros.
http://rcexplorer.se/projects/2010/03/the-tricopter-v1-and-v1-5/
Tell me then, how does it do more computing if it is made of the same components a heli uses?

>"Acro" or whatever just eases up the tolerances a bit. It's like when your mom puts her brand new TCS/STC/ABS/ESC/WTF Volkswagen in "sport mode" to "be a little crazy" when grocery shopping. All that happens is that some values in the car's computer change from 1.0 to 0.4
If the are only software changes, why can I fly in acro mode with only a gyro - I can litterally unsolder the other sensors and it works - While other modes like leveling, altitude hold or position hold need an accelerometer , barometer, and GPS respectively?
>>
>>905320
i saw a fun rc heli with an gyro at a toy store, is it worth getting into?
>>
>>905626
>The first hobbyist multicopter
>I think internet = real life
People have been building these since like the 80s, maybe they didn't write blogs about them, maybe because they were pretty shit until modern micro controllers and gyros. Notice how nobody gives a shit about his "first" in the videos.
>how does it do more computing if it is made of the same components a heli uses?
Obviously because there's 3 rotors all stabilizing each other you retard, also notice how an experienced RC pilot is limited to slow and basic maneuvers, nothing like the fancy pre-programmed flips you see everyone and their dog do with the store bought ones.
>why can I fly in acro mode with only a gyro
You can't. You've got 4 gyros connected to 4 micro controllers. Again how the fuck do you think you're controlling 4 separate engines with a single throttle and joystick? That's right, you're not. Meanwhile you can buy purely mechanical Helicopters

>>905632
The helis sold in toy stores instead of dedicated hobby/RC stores are almost universally shit. You're looking at at least 300$, also, gas powered is really the way to go. The reason you can buy "decent" quads in toy stores is because, as mentioned they're 90% self flying with all the software on them. Even if the weight distribution is off and the blades are misaligned the software will simply take care of it.
>>
>>896623
>implying anyone on /diy/ gives a shit what they say
>>
File: 20150808T152621ZAKDQE.jpg (105 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
20150808T152621ZAKDQE.jpg
105 KB, 720x1280
What is the lowest safe voltage per cell on a 4s lipo? More specifically a 4s, 10c, 10,000 mah multistar lipo.

I built a fixed wing fpv but I'm unsure about the safe voltage limits on these batteries, I usually don't go below 3.8v per cell but I heard that you can push batteries lower if they have low discharge rates, like the 10c.
>>
>>905778
While I'm arguing about how they behave, you seem to be arguing about the fact that there is a computer in it and how that's a bad thing, because it can't be understood and leads to unpredictable behavior.

But the "compute what to do with motors from stick inputs" part actually not very complex for flight modes that don't hold level, height or position. It's not like a desktop OS with millions of lines of code and thousands of states the system can be in.
It can be understood by a hobbyist and I don't think it requires more time than getting a mechnical heli to fly correctly if you start from scratch with both.
For cleanflight for example:
The stick positions you are so enamored wit go in at line 115/116: https://github.com/cleanflight/cleanflight/blob/master/src/main/flight/pid.c#L115
And by line 208 we know how we want the motor outputs to change or not (axisPID), which is in the same 1000-2000us format you use too. The only thing left to do is to multiply it with how the motors are currently set and add the throttle to it, which happens here at lines 749-759: https://github.com/cleanflight/cleanflight/blob/8402f4512a913abde32ccec704704fc466516997/src/main/flight/mixer.c#L753

Tada, magic! Hell we're multiplying, addding and substracting shit here. Even if you don't know the programming language it makes sense because it looks like math - because it fucking is.
Of course a computer does it more quickly that I ever could. But it only does what it is programmed to do. It is a tool. I wouldn't be able to switch power on and off as quickly as you need to to run a brushless motor either.

And the time used to understand it is offset by the time saved because I don't have to repair swashplates, as the device is much simpler mechanically.

[cont...]
>>
[...cont]

And yes, I agree it becomes more of a clusterfuck if you add behaviors mechanical helis can't do, which depend on other sensors like a GPS.

That being said, the bullshit an ESC of a brushless motor has to go through to sense the current position of a sensorless rotor and commutate it is also complicated. Read this for example: http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/active/cn/resource/technical/document/user_manual/CD00236524.pdf
So I sure hope you're not using those - but judging from the pic you posted you do...
>>
>>898968
tintin au pays de l'or noir
belgium rpz
>>
Do any of you own a taranis and have used it for rc flying Sims? How did you get your computer to recognize it? Mine says it is an unrecognized USB device.
>>
>>905877
iirc correctly, for all lipo batteries, you don't want to go below 3-3.2 volts per cell. That's when bad things will start happening.
>>
>>898371
>>898453
>>898539
I know but I am looking to get back into flying but I just can't come up with a way of beating their price on shit. It seems economics of scale is really starting to go with them (like a simple pre built cheap computer vs building your own).

$499 right now for the standard model on sale now (slickdeals.net)
2.7k video that is a sony sensor (seems better than current gopro).
1 km 720p FPV, follow me.
Was wondering how they are doing Waypoints though (have to fly first then repeat, guess this is how they comply with rules).

I am trying to come up with something better and cheaper but with all that stuff I really can't off the top of my head (especially that nice FPV video).

>no servicability
How so?
>With the P3 the ESC's are built into the main board.
Oh....so this?

Anyone have any other ideas?
>>
If a quadcopter is flying a waypoint is there a way to hijack it through radio signal and control it manually?
>>
There is a set of waypoints W, where each distance between them is at least 200 meters.
A quadcopter is programmed with set W and as manual input it takes its position W1, and destination W2. It is capable of calculating/approximating the angle and distance between W1 and W2, and when ready to fly, it will hover till programmed height H, side to appropriate angle and fly to destination and land on W2.

That's my idea and I'd like to build that system. I think that this set up doesn't need radio components but I am unsure how consuming are programmable boards? I don't have experience with embed systems, any tips for building a programmable quadcopter?
>>
>>890350
Yeah they were really common to see on the yaw of rc helicopters. then people started making quads with 4 of them. boy were those interesting to fly.
>>
>907140 here
>>907219
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__31138__Multiwii_and_Megapirate_AIO_Flight_Controller_w_FTDI_ATmega_2560_V2_0.html

Off the top of my head but you don't even need to program it that way, software and GPS will handle the rest.
>>907212
Fake a gps signal in theory but you would have to figure out where it is going (coords) or observe the movement of the multi and adjust your fake coords to compensate.
>idk ask the chinese or NASA for DIY
>>907140
Wanted to also post....those battery costs (granted they are monitoring and 8800 mah?)

I still can't figure out a way to beat it.
Figure 250 for the camera, 150 for the gimbal, 100 for FPV and telemetry....shit you are already at the sale price point.

Someone convince me not to buy it
>>
File: 1448573866489.jpg (313 KB, 1500x1012) Image search: [Google]
1448573866489.jpg
313 KB, 1500x1012
>>907229
>people started making quads with 4 of them. boy were those interesting to fly.

Wait do you mean a 4 servo quad?
I am sure it would be agile as hell but ...why?
So much added complexity and extra failure points.
Those VTOL (single or dual? servo) planes though...
>>
>>906954
i would be interested in knowing this as well
>>
>>907247
If Those >>890350
Look like servos to you you sholdn't be flying a multirotor platform.
>>
>>907303
Thought you were talking about the bottom prop in a Y config (out of picture).
>>
>>905391
Rally garden video pretty much done I think. Can't be arsed doing much more to the fucker. It's some pretty annoying stuff to edit.

Fun stuff though. I think I want an scale crawler next but I've no idea where to start with that stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-1sq-_8W3k&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>907572
Nice track, really enjoyed your editing.
>>
>>907746
cheers dude, nice of you to say.
>>
>>907746
Agreed, pro as fuck. Loved the driver chatter.

Go drop it into a rally thread on /o/ for shiggles.
>>
>>907774
haha that's not a bad idea, i'll do that next time i spot one. Although I don't get there much as I tend to do the 'wait, can i afford an s2000 yet? maybe I can... wait, no, i can't, fuck this shit, kill yourself man.' cycle every time.
>>
Anyone got any personal recommendations for directional receiver antennas working on 1.2GHz? I need something with stupid high gain and not really that wide of a beamwidth.
>>
What's a realistic max flight distance from point A to point B for a really stripped down quadcopter?

Tell me 60 miles is virtually impossible without dumping thousands on batteries made of fetus bone dust.
>>
>>886340
been trying to decide.. plane or copter. i have done copter before but i think planes might be more fun. only thing is i have zero experience with planes... whereas quads are easy to do
>>
>>906959
is this 3.3V for planes too?
>>
>>908202
The lighter you are, the more you are going to be buffeted by the wind. Efficiency scales with propeller size, but your top speed will likely suffer with larger props. Assuming you aren't likely to break 70mph, and with a generous flight time of 30 mins, you are looking at less than 30 mi. But, you also need to be able to broadcast your signal that far, unless you are giving it a routine to execute. Realistically, 10 miles is a good target. Do you need to go that far? 10 miles in a straight line is quite far.
>>
>>908162
A high turn helical antenna could work
>>
File: 093842343.png (419 KB, 1136x650) Image search: [Google]
093842343.png
419 KB, 1136x650
Should I? No experience with RC car's that aren't wall mart toys.
>>
>>908856
I have zero actual experience with rc cars that aren't the ones i owned in the early 90's and that lancia above... Taking that into account: fuck it dude, go for it.

Personally I'm a bit of a tamiya homo due to my childhood days, but HPI always seem to come up as one of the better brands.

I personally would have to get a less TOKYO DRIFT YO body for it. Check out some of the drift videos on youtube if you haven't already, people do make some awesome looking shit.
>>
>>887776
he has to have custom power supply anyway so it might as well have the polarity flipped
>>
>>908856
Im the same boat as you. Im gonna get the 1/16 turnigy rally car from hobbyking.
>>
>>908943
Yeah I completely agree with changing the body. I want to make it a stock looking R34, but I'm only interested in the car itself, doesn't even need a body at all.
>>
>>909113
>stock looking R34

Fuckin nice plan anon. I like.
>>
File: 56H-X1-SpaceShip-11.jpg (80 KB, 700x400) Image search: [Google]
56H-X1-SpaceShip-11.jpg
80 KB, 700x400
So the other day I got a free syma x1 quad from a friend and wondered how I could mod it to make it better. I already replaced the stock 350mAh batt for a 850mAh. If I made my own frame would I be able to wire bigger motors to this flight controller? maybe later add a light weight camera or fpv set up

>pic related
>>
>>910505
Its trash. Just build a new one with propper non toy parts
>>
>>906678
Yep.

Nice id, bro.
>>
File: 454102889_P1010457_122_518lo.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
454102889_P1010457_122_518lo.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
>>908856
That's a drift car, it'll only work on a VERY flat surface like smooth paving or ideally gym linoleum. Loads of fun though.
This is my Yokomo Drift Package Type-C clone from (sadly gone) r2hobbies.
>>
>>886340
fuck, finally found the place in 4chan where RC shit are discussed, was looking at /toy/ and it was weeb shit.

/k/ poorfag noguns division here, I still have the frame of an old Esky 4 channel helicopter collecting dust as I fried my receiver by being a retard and plugging the battery onto the "BATT" port on the receiver.
>>
>>911226
Nice.

I've bought some drift tyres for my XV-01 but haven't really played with 'em yet. Really like the look of RC drifting.
>>
>>911226
Oh I know, I have a 6x6m polished concrete floor in my shed, already have plans for painting road marking on it haha.
>>
File: 029342934.jpg (64 KB, 700x542) Image search: [Google]
029342934.jpg
64 KB, 700x542
anyone tried this?
>>
File: muhshed.jpg (775 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
muhshed.jpg
775 KB, 1920x1080
>>911938
Pic related actually, front half is for 1:1 cars and I have my workshop as a floating island in the back half. Even thought about making scale model houses to drift around. I built in the rest of that wall.
>>
>>890695
I linked my first run with the stabilizer...
>>
File: 0938429934.png (51 KB, 759x244) Image search: [Google]
0938429934.png
51 KB, 759x244
Why are clear bodies so expensive? They're just vacuformed plastic, aren't they?
>>
Is there a pastebin/link for a beginner's guide on building your own quadcopter?
>>
>>911996

Things aren't priced based upon their worth. They're based upon what people are willing to pay.

And people are generally willing to pay stupidly inflated prices for stuff related to their hobby.
>>
>>911999
I suppose, and it's a bit niche too. I found that out trying to buy keycaps for a mechanical keyboard.

Are there any alternatives or better places to shop for things like this?
>>
File: 01264066.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
01264066.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1333
>>911226
Well, I bought it. It's only 3 hours drive away. Almost tempted to drive there myself. Should be here in a couple of days if I'm lucky.

Say's it's 4WD how does that affect drifting? Traditional drift cars are RWD, right? Or is it adjustable or is necessary when you scale a car down?
>>
>>912114
NICE.
>>
>>912114
i'm not the anon you quoted and keep in mind i've only ever rc drifted round the corner of my bed a couple times, but the impression i get is that there's 50:50 4wd drifting at the easiest end, then as the drive ratio is shifted more to the rear (with gearing so rear turns more per rpm than the front) it gets more skilled and requires more countersteering (more like a drift car) until eventually yep there's full RWD cars.
>>
Opinion of Stingray 500? Mine's a piece of shit and while I'd love to learn to fly it (more than just hovering in place), it keeps fucking crashing because CY's retarded hardware malfunctions a good 30% of the time.
>>
File: 012-2.jpg (41 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
012-2.jpg
41 KB, 640x480
Where's a good place to get/make scale guard rails, road markings and the likes?
>>
>>907572
Thoroughly enjoyed it, nice work. I'm impressed
>>
>>912992
Ta dude, nice of you to say.

>>912978
When i made the garden track i looked into it a tiny bit and there wasn't much out there in 1/10 scale (which i assume is what you want). I mean there's a bit, but it's quite pricey once you've got enough to do even sections of a track.

There's a fuck load in whatever scale model trains and slot cars use but it's all way small for RC cars.

I saw one dude made some armco out of thin sheet steel he bent into shape which looked awesome but was time consuming and needed a good way of folding sheet steel.

I planned to make some out of pipe cut lengthways and opened out on itself but when it came down to it the short days and amount that would have needed doing fucked that idea off.

For road markings and signs I think you gotta make 'em yourself, but they're easy.
>>
Will I know you'll read this. If I come home to find my post is on the roof one more time I'm coming over there and taling that helicopter drone off you.

Also the wife has a bone to pick with you, she thinks our rc time isn't something grown men should be doing. So you've got that bollocking to look forward to next Sunday, presuming you're still coming to alley of course.
>>
File: 049583453.jpg (132 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
049583453.jpg
132 KB, 960x640
How do you know when NIMH batteries are charged? Do you just spend them then charge for the ammount of time it says? How do I know if it's spent or full, it's a 7.2V battery, multi-meter reads 7.1. What voltage should I start charging it at, what voltage should I stop at?
>>
>>898320
>200mw receiver

What the heck does that mean? I get that a transmitter could send out a signal at 200mw, but a receiver just picks up the signal no matter how strong it is
>>
>>913076
I have no fucking idea, mine just has a little light that goes green.
>>
>>913214
Yeah, mine doesn't have any lights or indicators, I just bought a better battery charger and a spare battery online.

I got some wifi controlled mains power switches the other day and they have a countdown function, so I just set them to turn off after the amount of hours the instructions said for the batteries.
>>
File: P1080037.jpg (206 KB, 1500x1001) Image search: [Google]
P1080037.jpg
206 KB, 1500x1001
new shell and drift tyres on the right wheels for the XV-01
>>
File: P1080036.jpg (224 KB, 1500x1001) Image search: [Google]
P1080036.jpg
224 KB, 1500x1001
>>913473
Just gotta actually try drifting the thing now, see if it works or not.
>>
File: folding arm member.png (225 KB, 405x377) Image search: [Google]
folding arm member.png
225 KB, 405x377
wtf is this? how does this thing work?
>>
File: CIMG6949.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
CIMG6949.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
You won't believe how much fun it is to solder with a decent soldering station. I recently bought an expensive-as-fuck Weller WS81, but look at the solder joint I just made. It's a debris deflector meant to support the propeller of my boat. The one glued on broke off after 5 years or so. This one will outlast me.
>>
File: CIMG6951.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
CIMG6951.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>913944
"protect", not "support", sry.
Anyhow, paint is curing as I type.
>>
>>905320
>faster
wrong

>cheaper
haha, no.

>more maneuverable
arguable

>you actually control it
acro mode

>more fun
you never tried FPV
>>
>>905778
300$ to fly, and then you pay 100$ to repair it. Wow so fun.

Quad fly because of software, so what? Your helis are only flying because people spent hours and hours getting that design to work.
>>
>>910505
the FET on the FC might not support more than a few Amps, so don't put too big motors in there
>>
>>911940
No, and now I want a rc car, and friend that are into RC things.
>>
>>914033
>faster
Yes, they are faster.

>cheaper
You got him there, RC helis are ridiculously expensive

>more maneuverable
RC helis, hands down.

>you actually control it
Acro mode /feels/ different, and a vast majority of commercial quads don't have it.

>more fun
To each their own. Fun fact: You can also FPV on a heli.

>>914034
>$100 to repair it
Only if you're a shit pilot who didn't learn to fly on a sim before doing the real thing. You really think that every outing ends in a crash?
Toy store helis are pretty shit, I agree. You're looking at products that were shit out as cheaply as possible to ride on the hype instead of redesigns of redesigns of redesigns to make the thing /work/.
>>
>>914044
>Yes, they are faster.
Doesn't really make sense anyway, quads are fast enough for any purpose, and the fastest quads are going ridiculously fast.

>RC helis, hands down.
3D CP helis yeah, any basic quad will outmanoeuvre basic helis.

>Acro mode /feels/ different, and a vast majority of commercial quads don't have it.
Currently flashing my micro to get the acro mode. Anyone serious about multirotors will end with acro mode (except if he's dealing with 5000$+ rigs)

>To each their own. Fun fact: You can also FPV on a heli.
How comes I've never seen a cool FPV video of an heli? There's a plenty of quads and fixed wings
But yeah, to each their own indeed. I was arguing against the guy that thought quad shouldn't even exist because nobody can fly them without a gyro. And cost is very important, I've read a lot about cheap helis but in the ends it cost way more than buying good quads.
>>
>>914051
>quads are fast enough for any purpose
Moving goalposts.

>basic quad will outmaneuver helis
I'd say that this is not much of an argument on the grounds that you can't really compare two cheapshit products of any kind with any real results.

>never seen a cool FPV video of a heli
Very simple reason: Most RC heli guys are older or last generation, so they just take joy in flying the thing and watching from where they stand. Quads are a relatively new thing, especially in the hobbyist category, so you're going to see a lot of younger people say "that looks cool, I want it" and those are generally the same people who want to document everything they do with cameras. There are some (well, a lot) of younger heli pilots and some older quad pilots.

It also boils down to "it's for a different purpose". Often, FPV quads will have autolevel and other features to make it more user-friendly so the pilot can just fly around and record. Helis are generally, from what I've seen, more "show-off" things; flying FPV while trying to do the tricks that are usually done would get you dizzy fast, not to mention losing orientation unless you had a shitton of telemetry telling you your direction and such.

>cheap helis are more expensive than good quads
Yeah, seems like it. I'd say it's because it's a hobby market, and like any hobby market they can charge out the ass and people will still pay. Helis also tend to have more moving parts.
>>
>>914056
The majority of FPV footage on youtube is from custom quads in acro mode. (I'm not sure anyone's doing FPV in autolevel)

As you said people have to be flying helis differently than quads. For example I really love doing exploration with my quad, going in some remote place and flying the quad around trees.. It's really fun and watching the video afterward is too.

I think warp-quads (very high power:weight ratio, no camera or anything) are the closer to helis, just doing tricks and awesome things in the air.

So yeah, not sure I'll go with helis one day. I'll probably try rc cars and fixed wings though.

>Yeah, seems like it. I'd say it's because it's a hobby market, and like any hobby market they can charge out the ass and people will still pay. Helis also tend to have more moving parts.

They're great because of how simple they are mechanically.
>>
>>914051
>How comes I've never seen a cool FPV video of an heli?
https://vimeo.com/38322747
Now you have.

But really, a major reason is that it's a lot harder to get the rotor disc out of view with a heli than a quad, and vibrations are often a problem with helis.

Helis perform much better from an aerodynamic standpoint, but it's hard to beat the adaptability, robustness, and overall grab-and-go appeal of a quad.

And for the record, I enjoy flying both, as well as all manner of fixed-wing models.
>>
>>914305
>https://vimeo.com/38322747
Ah saved, can't watch it now. I never really searched before, I'm a dumbass.

When I'll be rich I'll get a badass heli.. or four badass quads.. argh.

Anyway, show us a pic of your heli!
>>
Ebay item# 111848474455
>>
>>889112
>If you're in the US, though, it's illegal to fly multirotors commercially without a Section 333 exemption (you have to have at least a sport pilot's license).

You must have a sport pilot's license to operate a UAV? If my company gets a Section 333 exemption, do the employees need pilot's licenses?
>>
>>914580
>You must have a sport pilot's license to operate a UAV?
For now, yes. Technically a sponsored RC pilot can't even win prize money for an aerobatic contest legally unless he has a pilot's license (for manned aircraft) and a 333 exemption. It's fucking ridiculous, but the FAA seems to think doing something ridiculous in the mean time is better than doing nothing at all.

I'm hoping the final rules for commercial sUAS operation are much more reasonable.

>>914580
>If my company gets a Section 333 exemption, do the employees need pilot's licenses?
Yep.
>>
>>914595
As someone that lived in California and watch a fire hinge on 'contained, not at all threatening' to 'we're fucked' because some ass hat was flying in controlled airspace without communications... And this has happened over and over again... Fuck drone 'pilots' in the ass with a BBC in pound me in the ass jail.
>>
>>914627
Surely piling restrictions on law-abiding drone pilots will help bring these irresponsible yahoos in line, right?

Yeah, no. Fuck you. And fuck Cal-fire too, for letting California burn over a few fucking knuckleheads with drones. Even if it IS flying where it shouldn't be, it still only poses about the same threat as a large bird, and pilots have tolerated that risk since the fucking dawn of aviation.
>Inb4 bias accusations
I'm a private pilot too. Their rampant abuse of TFRs over the last decade pisses me off just as much. Goddamn firefighters are too damn full of themselves these days.
>>
The FAA just made a move on UAS registration.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/14/10104996/faa-drone-registration-register-february-19th

Looks like the registry is going to be opened on Dec 21 for individuals and sometime in the spring for a commercial registration.
>>
File: faq.png (45 KB, 590x872) Image search: [Google]
faq.png
45 KB, 590x872
Here is the most relevant information from the FAQ.

Taken from here:

http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/
>>
>>915016
>the website said registration is free
>the transaction authenticates the user
This sounds like one of those "Input your CC# so we know you're over 18, we totally won't do anything bad with it, promise!" scams.
And if it's just to "authenticate" the user, why charge every 3 years? Did the user suddenly turn into a new person?

Fuck this.
>>
>>915019
Are you really complaining about a $5 registration fee that comes up every few years?

You need a new hobby if that kind of money is going to break you.
>>
File: kek.png (14 KB, 563x201) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
14 KB, 563x201
>>915016
We all knew it was bound to happen. It doesn't appear to be as restrictive as many said it would be, more so for the purposes of identification. I have no trouble with it.
>>
>>915022
Yeah, I was thinking the worst that would happen is we would have to start building transponders onto drones along with registration.

I wonder if this has any impact on FPV or commercial applications. Will I still need a pilot's license to operate one? Will FPV ever be legal in the US? It's my understanding that you still need line of sight, right?
>>
>>915022
>It doesn't appear to be as restrictive as many said it would be, more so for the purposes of identification. I have no trouble with it.
Yeah, it's a hell of a lot more reasonable than what I was expecting.
I still find it ironic that they require registration for a half-pound model airplane, but not a 250-pound manned ultralight, though.
>>
>>915036
>but not a 250-pound manned ultralight

That's probably because the pilot will be around to answer for it if they fuck up, and the pilot already has to be registered themselves. With RC, the pilot could take off and no one would know who caused the accident.
>>
>>915022
>The registration rules also require that they be part of an "unmanned aircraft system." An "unmanned aircraft system" includes the communication links and components that control the small unmanned aircraft along with all of the other elements needed to safely operate the drone.
So free-flight is exempt, regardless of weight?
What about an F1E model with a heading-hold autopilot?
Or by extension, a more advanced, fully-autonomous UAV with no communications systems whatsoever?

To me, it seems like "communications links and components that control the unmanned aircraft" would serve to reduce risk, not increase it.
>>
>>915051
You can't have any control systems on it whatsoever. If it's anything similar to the rules around amateur rocketry, you can't even have computer aided stabilization onboard without it being considered a different type of aircraft.
>>
>>915054
>If it's anything similar to the rules around amateur rocketry, you can't even have computer aided stabilization onboard without it being considered a different type of aircraft.
Huh? I never saw anything of the sort in Part 101.
http://www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Federal-Aviation-Regulations-on-Rockets1.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTND_wot9zI
>>
>>915066
Maybe you should look under Part 121.

http://fas.org/spp/starwars/offdocs/itar/p121.htm
>>
>>915075
Also, reading into it more I think if the rocket has a built in recovery system it doesn't count. And active stabilization doesn't make it count either, only active guidance.

I figured active stabilization would be enough, because older missiles had nothing but that.
>>
>>915075
>ITAR
ITAR is export controls. It has nothing to do with how a model rocket is regulated within the national airspace.

Now, if you launch it across an international border, that's another story...
>>
Personally I can't wait to hear stories about dumbass bros getting fucked by the FAA because they didn't register their DJI Phantom or whatever.
>>
File: bison yes.gif (2 MB, 400x226) Image search: [Google]
bison yes.gif
2 MB, 400x226
>I get to put a real FAA registration number on my stuff
>>
Hey, I am building my first quad, I need reccomendations for cheap transmitter and flight controler.
Its a small quad (prop to prop ~20cm)
>>
>>915381
Do you have a radio license? You'll have that number on it too.
>>
File: be35-17.jpg (69 KB, 997x655) Image search: [Google]
be35-17.jpg
69 KB, 997x655
>>915582
Yeah obviously, but I mean like a actual aircraft registration number.
>>
>>915575
I used a turnigy 9x and a cc3d on mine.
>>
File: faa plz.jpg (360 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
faa plz.jpg
360 KB, 1200x800
>>915687
the rules say you can put it inside the battery compartment, as long as you can get to it "without tools." Why not just put a fake one on the outside?

obligatory registration number
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 62

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.