[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are these used for? can I strip paint from wood with them?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: brass-brushes.jpg (12 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
brass-brushes.jpg
12 KB, 300x300
what are these used for? can I strip paint from wood with them?

also give me general advice on renovating my room by myself.
>>
>>885534
yes they can

general advice: wear safety
>>
>>885534
grinder brushes are for removing stuff from metal. they will damage wood. (you may *want* that damage for a weathering effect, but anyway)

the normal way that you strip latex paint from wood is with a heat gun. you heat the paint up a couple hundred degrees (until it begins to form small bubbles on its own) and it softens enough that you can just scrape it off without any chemicals
>>
>>885534

You're better off using a heat gun and sand paper.

Wire brushes would scar the wood a piece of piss.
>>
I've some made of plastic, so it can remove paint without much damage on hardwood.
>>
>>885534
Those particular ones are copper and are not designed for wood as has been said. It will damage your piece and also the tool will not last long, those little strings of copper will go flying around and hurt like hell when they stick in you. Eye safety is a MUST for tools like these. You're better off with the heat and scraper, save those for rust removal on metal.
>>
>>885534

These work great for those DIY bed liners. The scuff pads they give you in the kit suck and would take forever. You attach one of these to a drill and you can do your entire bed in under an hour.
>>
>>885585
>Those particular ones are copper

They're brass. It's used because it's a soft metal and won't scratch finish pieces of harder metal. They make steel ones too, but they will obviously scratch softer metals.

They also make nylon ones for even softer materials.

This application calls for a regular abrasive or a heat gun and scraper as has been said.

They do shoot out little death missiles though.
>>
>>885598
That's angle grinder w/ wire cup territory bro.
>>
>>885601
Also brass doesn't leave tiny pieces of non-stainless steel in the stainless steel you're cleaning, which then rust.

>>885534
Scrape first, with either a chemical stripper or heat gun. Heat guns aren't as common with contractors because the paint CAN smolder and catch fire then next day (although rare), and if no one is there can burn down house = liability.
Use one of the nylon ones for wood though.
>>
>>885603

Nah you need variable speed capabilities. You're roughing up the paint job not taking it down to bare metal.
>>
>>885730

Oh and before you go touting variable speeds on angle grinders, 2800+ at the lowest setting is still too much.
>>
>>885585

>Be 14
>Use dads old grinder bench grinder with wire wheel
>Feel something strange in my forehead
>Start picking out tiny wires from my face

And that was the day I started wearing safety glasses.
>>
>>885534
Ah.. Those are used for several purposes.
Most notably:
1) flinging your work across the garage
2) sticking your finger with a tiny metal fragment
3) removing skin from the hand you thought wasn't in the way

I wouldn't use them for stripping wood though as they will damage the wood. Chemical stripper or heat is a better option.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.