[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking at building a tiny house. My girlfriends parents have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
Looking at building a tiny house.
My girlfriends parents have a pretty large area to put it on on their property.
My main question for you guys would be what to do about shifting.
Want to try and avoid having to walk to the main house to use the bathroom.
What options do I have?
I know my work had a small septic tank installed under an office portable and honey bucket came and emptied it every couple weeks but I can't find out how much that costs or if they would even do that for non commercial buildings.
Any ideas or thoughts?
>>
A trailer would be your better option.

A separate septic systemfor your tiny house would probably cost more than the house itself (assuming you use used wood like many other timy house builders use.) And would also possibly violate that zoning laws that require a certain square footage for a residence. (Might try to twll you thag the house is no longer mobile.)

Many tiny houses use a wood chip composting toilet, which sounds horrendous in such a small space.
>>
>>986146
Just buy an RV.. you will get more out of it, then a tiny meme house.

I don't care how much I love someone, if I have to smell their freshly baked shit on a daily basis. I would lose my shit. shitting basically in your bedroom, that's what a tiny meme house is.
>>
>>986151
The tiny house idea is great if using recycled materials and being clever about keeping costs down. But i do get your point how some people doing them dont get the point and waste more money that its worth on them.

>>986146
Ever thought of using a bucket with a seat on the top. You could make a proper frame in the house to make it look tidy. Then have stuff to scoop on top of it to keep it clean. Empty as needed.

Try checking out Kirsten Dirksens you tube channel theres heaps of awesome ideas on there along with a few dud ones too.

A big important thing about a tiny house is to not burn too much coin on it or else it starts to defeat the purpose.
>>
Ever thought of making a solar shower?
>>
>shifting
You mean the house shifting?

I'd build it on pillars so you could use a jack to raise the house and shim the pillars as necessary.
>>
>>986151
>what is a studio apartment
one man does not need 2300sqft.
>>
>>986146
>Looking at building a tiny house.
>....
>What options do I have?
It depends on what country you live in.

First off: in the USA, a tiny house is always built on a trailer====ALWAYS.
This is because if it is mobile, then it is exempt from all normal building codes.
A lot of the normal features people do in these tiny houses (---RV's!--) simply isn't allowed in normal homes. Things like minimum distances for electrical fixtures from sinks and showers, and things like minimum sizes for doors and windows.

Secondly,,,, you usually don't need to use municipal power or water service, but pretty much everywhere in the USA requires that you dispose of human waste according to sanitation rules. You can't just shit in a bucket and dump it out the back door.
Well,,,, you *can*, but if you get caught you will get fined and told to put in some kind of approved toilet.
And because of #1, you can't use any kind of permanent toilet like a cesspool or septic tank--and to that means you have to use an RV toilet that must be emptied regularly. That's all there is; there is no other choice.

In the USA--where most of these tiny-home enthusiasts seem to be--having a "tiny house" is basically the same as "living out of an RV". It just looks a little different.
A lot of retired people live in RVs because they travel a lot.
Living in a tiny home that sits in one place just plain sucks, IMO. It is all the drawbacks of RV living without the main benefit.
I'd much rather just rent a studio apartment, just for the real electricity+water+sewer service.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.