[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How are these made en mass? I assume they are all turned using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 511x222) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 511x222
How are these made en mass? I assume they are all turned using different jigs, but how can I make them quickly and easily at home?
>>
>>985985
>How are these made en mass?
here ya go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFBs1e-emLI

> I assume they are all turned using different jigs, but how can I make them quickly and easily at home?
You can't.... you can buy them way easier than you can make them yourself.
>>
>>986008
what a job
>>
>>986008
(continued)
For metalworking lathes you can get accessories called 'expanding mandrels'.
With those you could drill the hole through the beads, mount them on the mandrel and then cut on the outside surface... but I don't know if wood lathes have the same kinds of head stocks?
None I've seen did; they only had headstocks meant for grabbing pieces of wood.
I do metal tho, I dunno much about wood machines.

If you search for "wood bead machine" on google, there seem to be a number of small CNC ones that pop up in the results, aimed at the DIY crowd.
>>
>>985985

Annoyed at how expensive suspension bushings are, eh?
>>
File: QC_HoleSaw_Mount_group[1].jpg (96 KB, 1000x360) Image search: [Google]
QC_HoleSaw_Mount_group[1].jpg
96 KB, 1000x360
>>985985
I used pic related in some 1/2" wood. The blank I took out of it I then sanded the shoulders off and had something pretty much like the red one in your pic. I used it as the striker on a wind chime.
>>
>>986008
i'm more than sure they have stakes of dies that shape them on the lathes and just make them 20-50 at a time

i can't remember where i saw it but they have a long chunk of steel with the negative of the shapes they want, and they just slide it into the wood to cut them

then than it's just orienting them the right way for drilling the center hole, which is usually one of those vibrating drum things, and a high speed drilling assembly that has a bunch of drills that each drill different pieces at once, like one of those bottle filling, capping and labeling machines you see on how it's made
>>
>>986342
as for making them quickly and easily at home, get some chunky tool steel cut the shapes you want and keep these cutter heads sharp and put them on mechanical connection like a pantorouter to keep the cutting head parallel to the work piece, and put little indexes so you know where to push the cutting head into the work piece

barring that overkill approach like everyone else said
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.