[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sound Proofing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: Audio Foam.jpg (88 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Audio Foam.jpg
88 KB, 1000x1000
I'm working on a side hobby involving streaming/recording and voice acting. Every room in my house is shoddy for soundproofing, so I can easily hear my family and they can hear me. I don't want to interrupt them, but I also don't want to hear them in my background noise if I'm recording or if I'm on a stream (normally I'd use Audacity but it's still noticeable sometimes).

I'm moving out in roughly 3 months, so I'd just like advice on any audio proofing materials I should look for that I can at least bring with me, in case the same problem occurs. Any ideas/products I should look at, roughly in the $50-$150 range?

Extra info, if it even matters: the space I am using is in my basement, and it is just concrete and drywall; it is also less than 7 feet vertically, around 13 feet in length, and above where I'm recording is hardwood flooring.
>>
File: 1461566479816.jpg (264 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
1461566479816.jpg
264 KB, 1500x1500
>>985777
OH look this thread again.
You cant sound proof a room with 150$
so your wifes son is just gonna have to listen to you get cucked.

If you have trouble with recording get a super cardioid microphone it won't pick up your crying in the background
>>
>>985777
Lol. You might get some dampening but nothing spectacular. In order to be completely silent and vibretion proof, you need to create a floating room, where you have pockets of emptiness and soundproofing insulation surrounding the whole room so the noise that dips past your dry wall, sound proofing rubber, and another layer of drywall. Dry-rubber-dry-soundproof foam. For the floor you need to create a subfloor and insulate that. Qyality plywood and a layer of sound proofing rubber, then comes in the empty, your making a 6 inch gap of nothingness between the floor your sitting on and the subfloor. So you have a room floating in between a room with insulation. Then you foam it, bass traps. Or use egg cartons.lel
>>
>>985786
And if you can't. Get seinhesier hd598's. Theyre amazing for the price, sub 150. You get great low ends and high ends, very flat response. They WILL be underpowered if you don't hook them up to am external power source, i use an audio interface, my buddy uses logitech speakers that he can control vol and bass with. That's honestly your best bet to get the best mixes and be blast tunes you're making at high volumes without disturbing anyone. Good luck
>>
>>985783
Oh, I didn't know these threads were that common, sorry. I didn't see any in the catalog, so I just sprung the topic. Also, I'm just looking for anything that will help me even remotely. I know I would need to use tons of methods with lots more money to make a room truly soundproof. Just anything along the lines of decent dampening that would at least be sufficient for my poor ass.

Also, the mic is a Blue Yeti Pro and I've been using it with cardioid mode on (I don't know how that compares to mics that are built to be cardioid). It's a lot better that way, but I still pick up anyone in the house talking loudly or running along hardwood floors.

>>985786
>dry-rubber-dry-soundproof foam
Ok. I knew to make a room within a room, but I didn't think to insulate it and make it at least 6" above the ground. I was planning on doing this when I moved out because then I wouldn't have to build it a second time with the same materials, but for now I just need a temporary fix. I've had somebody before recommend buying blankets in bulk and hang them vertically, but I have no idea what type of material to look for in the first place, or how effective "bulk" would even be.
>>
>>985789
I'll check them out. Right now I'm using M50's, but they're starting to show serious wear.
>>
>>985790
Look up sound proofing curtains. Honestly for streaming you just need an enclosed space, closet if its small enough. Sound proof the shit out of it. Bass traps in corners foam on walls doors and floors. Make sure you have a good audio interface your mics going into, and get a good wind blocker thing for your microphone and you should be set. Your trying to make it so your voice is enclosed in the space youe recording and it isnt creating any echos. Lil john used a tiny crevice in an open room with a matress in front of it to close it off and he sounded fine. Throw yourself into it and see how it is right away, dont wait and ask questions. Just do it then ask questions to further refine what you need to do to make yourself sound better.
>>
>>985790
Yeah no if a product used a world like pro in the name its not really a professional product.
Get a proper professional grade mic.
Go to the local music shop, ask around. Shure SM58 or SM57 are safe bets and in your price range ~125$. And you could pair it with a cheap Behringer mixer/preamp or somehting by line6 for another 50$. Senhisers are a safe bet too.
Your local music store might have an even better offer depending if you ask nice
And don't buy online the net is full of knockoffs of these mics.
Super cardioid mikes are weired differently it's not something you can get with software.
>>
>>985796
Will do. I guess I'll try a pair of those curtains and bass traps, then, so I can at least see if they have an effect.
>audio interface
I don't really have one. The mic is USB-based, so all of my audio devices go through their corresponding ports, and I wouldn't even know what interface to look into investing. I know I didn't ask about this before, but if you want to recommend one to look at, feel free to do so.

>>985802
Thanks for the product recommendations on these types of mics, I really just jumped on getting this specific one when it was super affordable around the holidays. I don't hate it but I see where it's almost too sensitive to my surroundings. I'll definitely look into getting a super cardioid sometime in the near future.
>>
File: decay.png (190 KB, 1060x453) Image search: [Google]
decay.png
190 KB, 1060x453
anyone here actually make bass traps and take before and after measurements?

I'd like bass traps that would do something worth doing to the 35-43Hz decay times.
>>
I have a bunch of cheap memory foam for my bed that's falling apart

can this work as a basic alternative to dampen audio, or does it need to be a specific type of foam?
>>
>>985833
sure, a pillow fort has almost no room echo and makes an excellent voice recording booth
but it won't stop noise coming in or going out
>>
OK so because only 2 people here know what they are talking about please let me help. your mic is fine don't go wasting money where you don't need to. it's actually a fantastic mic, probably the best USB mic around.

sound proofing and acoustic treatment are very different.

the foam and stuff you can buy to put around your room is almost purely for echo reduction. that is all.

for six proofing you have to basically make a room with the purpose of soundproofing it. I strongly recommend for you to look up some vids on YouTube regarding sound proofing and acoustic treatment, some of them are actually quite thought out and will give you a great understanding of the two terms
>>
>>985914
woops meant sound proofing not six proofing, autocorrect
>>
>>985914
Will do. I've also been looking up other options on the cheap by the way; would you say using moving blankets as cheap alternatives for separate walls is a worthy attempt at making a somewhat soundproof space?
>>
>>985965
read this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_transmission_class

i just bookmarked this yesterday looking around google for a similar project of mine.

i dont think blankets will do much.
>>
>>985777
Buy some timber. make a small frame with enough room for you to sit in/put over your desk.

cover frame with blankets, duvets. you will probably have a problem with it getting hot in there though.

this creates the 'room within a room' idea on a budget.

> I'm totally guessing though, and haven't tried it.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.