[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i want to order a barbed fuel line adapter online as i cannot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8
File: fordseriesfuelpump.jpg (171 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
fordseriesfuelpump.jpg
171 KB, 1600x1200
i want to order a barbed fuel line adapter online as i cannot source it locally but i need help as i do not know what the thread is called. it is on many ford and perkins engines, here is an example picture of the fuel pump that i own that i need a coupling to fit.
>>
File: fuellthread.jpg (2 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
fuellthread.jpg
2 MB, 1920x2560
here is a better picture
>>
File: bedford primer pump.jpg (134 KB, 945x798) Image search: [Google]
bedford primer pump.jpg
134 KB, 945x798
>>985166
I dont understand the question anon.
you need a new primer pump? or you need to adapt your current fuel lines to fit this priming pump?

is it just a diesel priming pump? you can use literally anything for that anon. from any model. what are you trying to do? you want to fit this somewhere else on the truck, blank where it would mount usually and run a hose between the two points? you would need to ask a mechanic to make you up two blanking plates easy enough job or make ityourself by cutting out some steel and filing the rough edges, drill a hole, fit a panel mount barb, apply nitrile gasket you make yourself, bolt it all down.
>>
File: hqdefault (25).jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (25).jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>985169
so you want that specific piece of pipe?
a fuel mechanic/diesel mechanic/brake shop can make one up for you. it's called a flared union. you've left the olive on the end of the pipe. this needs to be replaced. you can reuse the fittings you have just get a new compression olive.
>>
>>985175
actually no, that's not a flared union, that's just a standard compression fitting. you need a brass olive though. what is the problem? did you cut the pipe off?
>>
File: barbedadapter.jpg (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
barbedadapter.jpg
18 KB, 500x500
>>985171
my own primer pump works fine business but it leaks out diesel from a fitting and i cannot tighten it any farther with or without thread tape so i want to replace it with pic related which i have done successfully in the past although i do not know the m5x1.5 or whatever the thread is called.
>>985175
i have went to a very well equipped shop but they cannot help me as this particular pipe on my fuel pump does not use olives.>>985169
this picture is from a similar threaded pipe, not the one that fit the pump which i mislaid.
>>
>>985166
samefagging here. but let me guess what the problem is exactly.
you removed this piece of pipe and then tried to put it back on?now the fitting leaks? ths is because you did not replace the olive. it crushes and is one use only.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_fitting

you can replace the steel pipe with a rubber tube by just removing the olive and compression nut on the other side where this fits and flaring it then fitting hose clamps. or you can buy some steel pipe, steel olives, a steel right angle fitting or pipe bender and make up your own new pipe.
>>
>>985179
I used the second stage of a double flaring tool to make a small flare in a transmission pipe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXOo8MtDv7A this tool basically. that way I didnt need an adapter. a hydraulic pipe fitting shop will deffinitely have what you need but be expensive. they have every conceivable fitting possible.

why do you have a brass olive on your steel pipe? did you put it there? you need a steel olive for steel pipe.
>>
File: artistsimpressionofsuspect.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
artistsimpressionofsuspect.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
>>985180
here is a drawing i made of the pipe that i removed. as you can see it does not use an olive, nor will the threaded hole in the pump accept an olive as it has not the correct bevel internally.
you do not need to guess, i have told you that the problem is i want to buy pictured >>985179
and i need someone to tell me what thread to buy based on this pic>>985169
>>
File: olive.jpg (301 KB, 1229x639) Image search: [Google]
olive.jpg
301 KB, 1229x639
>>985182
>>
>>985183
that is not the pipe or olive I removed. as I stated >>985179 here
I mislaid the original pipe.
It does happen to have the same thread as the adapter I require which is useful for illustrative purposes.
>>985181
the olive was on the pipe when i bought the machine, i suspect it came that way from factory. i do not mind the cost of the adapter as it will easily pay for itself in spilt diesel. but olives are irrelevant in this discussion as I they will not fit the pump.
>>
>>985182
what does the pipe connect to?

it just looks like a standard pipe insert to me. it helps strengthen compression fittings. measure the internal diameter of the pipe.

for when others come, what vehicle, engine does this come from? what year?
>>
>>985166
pipe connects to this

>>985169
this is a mockup of a replacement. it doesnt work but the compression nut seems to be the same size and thread

>>985179
this is not a part that will fit but it is an example of the sort of thing that might work. a thread to hose barb adapter.

>>985182
this is what the missing part looks like that you are trying to replicate.

I dont understand how the threaded bit connects to anything with that disc in the way blocking it from doing so.
>>
File: acoq5.jpg (151 KB, 589x632) Image search: [Google]
acoq5.jpg
151 KB, 589x632
>>985184
I'm sorry but its very hard to answer the question when all I have to go on is that here is a thing that connects to something like this but isnt this how do I connect it?
>>
>>985185
the pipe connects from the fuel pump to the fuel tank. I do not know the engine model as it is older than I am and has lost its identifying plates but the engine one of many that came in a massey ferguson 50 digger which is the same engine as came in the massey ferguson 178 tractor which only came with one model of engine.it was notable for the exhaust manifold exiting the right hand side of the head.
>>this is what the missing part looks like that you are trying to replicate.

false, this is the part that I removed. due to its rarity I do not expect to locate another.
>>I dont understand how the threaded bit connects to anything with that disc in the way blocking it from doing so
the disc is smaller than the threaded bit, my perspective is astray.
>>I'm sorry but its very hard to answer the question when all I have to go on is that here is a thing that connects to something like this but isnt this how do I connect it?
I shall try to simplify my question.
tldr, disregard everything else all i want to know is what is this precise thread pictured >>985183
named in a metric or imperial format
>>
i found the answer. i was rooting around in a shed and found a brass tap from a john deere with an identical thread, then did a part search and its 1/2" UNF
thanks to everyone who replied.
>>
>>985197
i just found this by looking on ebay. yup. 1/2 unf/SAE
>>
>>985182
Can' guess thread size from phone pic posted on /diy/. Take unit to big box hardware store, go to fittings aisle and start trying different thread sizes. That will give you the diam, pitch, etc. You might actually get lucky and find exactly what you need.
>>
>>985169
The thing with threads on it is called a flare nut.
auto stores should sell them, usually in packs of 5.
Have them try check what size it is because I cant tell from the picture.

http://www.rtsauto.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/bubble-flare-vs-double-flare.jpg
>>
>>985183
ok, that thing on the end is part of a compression fitting.
The whole fitting consists of two nuts, the brass ring you see there and a center peice, iirc.

The whole fitting is cheap, just a few bucks. Auto part store should have those too.
note, the part of the line that is bent out from this might not be reusable, if you have enough room left just cut it off and splice it together further up.
>>
>>985358
it's ok i found the thread and ordered the part.
>>
>>985359
ok cool, good luck with it all
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.