[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to make your own keyboard?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
How to make your own keyboard?
>>
haven't done any myself but check out geekhack, a keyboard enthusiast forum. Specifically check the Projects section. Lots of really cool shit. Can't post link, 4chan thinks it's spam.
>>
>>984012
If you want a good keyboard you need a PCB base, but one large enough for a tenkeyless will cost you about $800USD as a one off. So that rules easy assembly out, what you could potentially do is CNC cut some acrylic to hold the switches, another as your front and rear covers, then just point to point wire the keys to any uC or keyboard IC you can source for cheap.

if you are wanting a good fit and finish you're not going to be able to diy this, the scale and materials available don't lend themselves to good mechanical stability, so its pretty likely after all your work you'll end up with something that feels worse than the chinese counterpart that cost half as much. actually... you could build the key layer from 2.5mm hot rolled steel, that would allow you to drill and file the holes without it crumbling.
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (83 KB, 1920x810) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
83 KB, 1920x810
>>984093
see pic related, used as a test jig for key life.
>>
>>984012
Geekhack and massdrop
You can find boards and cases then just buy switches.

Honestly, there is such a big market of decent keyboards now, you are better off just buying one that has the specs you want
>>
>>984121
Thinking about making a .dwg and send it somewhere so they can cut out a plate for me. I wonder how to holes should be. squares 0.55"x0.55"
>>
14x14mm squares should be ok, right?
>>
I'm thinking about copying Planck,
12*4 ortholinear. Mayby 12*5, that would fit for gaming a little bit better, even though I don't play so much anymore. 12*4 would be more portable.
>>
>>984527
I think the guy behind the Planck has another one in the works that's 12x5. Looks like he did a Massdrop pre-order, but you'll have to wait a bit since it's closed and he's not selling parts currently.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.