[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
trash picker convention
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: trash-can-full-of-trash.jpg (25 KB, 600x456) Image search: [Google]
trash-can-full-of-trash.jpg
25 KB, 600x456
it's that time of year again when the city has trash pickup days

what does /diy/ like to salvage?

I saw one house alone that threw out at least 3 vacuums....didn't see any mower or bike stuff, that probably would have been first to go
>>
>>980614
Microwaves for dem delicious MOTs
>>
Damn pickers, I get my rocks off messing with everyone putting out one thing at a time. Not worth my time or gas driving all over but hey it supports the economy so I'm doing my part. Share the wealth.

Like a parade of junk trucks and trashy people through the neighborhood all day long.

I saved up some scrap in the fall and took it to the yard - 750 pounds and got $10.35 ):

Went out a couple times looking for old electronics (radios) and found a cool ammo can.

Yesterday I got rid of a junk metal table, made them take the glass top, metal chair, broken gas leaf flower, POS 20 year old string trimmer and 3 empty beer cans placed strategically along the road.
>>
used to work on a wagon that went around collecting the rubbish for the council . ended up keeping loads of stuff and I still take stuff if its out for the collections

I have on many occasions salvaged bikes . fixed them and re-sold . the best I have come across is a decathlon rockrider which i'm re building for myself for dem trails . Last week I found some rockshox forks that are going on it after I replace seals and change oil .

at one point I collected scrap metal but I don't bother with that any more because the price has dropped now china isnt buying the steel any more .

I still collect copper if I see a CRT t.v ditched on waste ground i'll kick the back off and take the good bits . a couple of us save it to pay for the xmas booze . anything with a wire we pull the wire off for copper . I once made a dream catcher out of different colored number 2 copper wire for my girlfriend

took a microwave to strip once . found it worked . resold for £15 every little helps
>>
One time I got a nice little ceramic pot out of a dumpster that still had the goodwill price tag on it, I didn't really want it so I donated it back to goodwill for my taxes, then later I found the same little pot in the same dumpster, and took it out and donated it again. So the same item was bought and thrown away three times. Crazy.
>>
>>981192
aw, I was thinking good will was throwing it away.
I was hoping you would say you have been going back to their trash and redonate it to them over and over
>>
>>980623
Transformers, little gearmotors, light bulbs, HV diodes and capacitors, fan motors, small power transformers, switches, relays, sheet metal, etc. Microwaves are the most useful things.
>>
>>981192
goodness

and no one was like "hey, we seem to be getting a lot of these in lately"...
>>
I live on a collage campus with wishy-washy salvage rules. Bottom line is I've been doing it for 3 years, and literally no one gives a shit.

I've pulled DC servo motors, about 30 strain gauges, national instruments equipment, old servers, hard drives, like 5 monitors, etc, from around here and repurposed them.
>>
>>982143
now is this preemptive salvage?
>>
>>980614
So dumpster /diy/vers, I just found an unopened bag of oranges in a dumpster, and nothing has any sort of mold or damage.

Is it safe to eat the trash oranges?
>>
>>982366
I don't dig for edibles, but I don't see why not

wash one well, cut it open, see if it looks and smells alright...
>>
I'm I'm a college town and the absolute best time is Aug 31st abd Sept 1st when all the leases are up. All the rich, dumb college kids dump everything on the curb and my god the things they throw away. I make about $500 a year picking it up and literally reselling it in under a month
>>
>>982366
no visible mold, no squishy spots, should be good to go
>>
On a related note, does anyone have any advice on selling parts for old appliances? I've got an old washing machine and cooker here which are next to worthless on their own but individual parts like wiring looms ect are like £10 each on ebay so it can add up.

I've just never sold anything before and becoming a seller makes me nervous, are there any ways to flog this stuff without doing it over the internet?
>>
>>980623
>>981213

While I've been hunting microwaves for a while (specifically for the transformer, of course) yes, I discovered that microwaves are possibly the most useful appliance for salvage.

You're guaranteed, at the minimum, a large transformer, a magnetron, a small shaded pole motor, a low-speed synchronous motor, a bunch of switches, a HV capacitor, some relays, and a reasonable bit of flat, usable sheet steel. It's like $80+ worth of crap if you had to buy it separately, which is kind of dumb; at that point, you could literally buy a brand new microwave, scrap it, throw out the shell, and STILL come out ahead.

...although I'll admit the magnetron and capacitor isn't terribly useful for most people.
>>
>>986382
>It's like $80+ worth of crap
Really? How do you even find buyers for that stuff? I just threw out a microwaves worth of parts as part of a spring clean.
>>
Copper wire. That's about it.
>>
If I could do like I want to I’d grab every piece of solid wood I can get my hands on. It’s so easy to refurbish used solid wood. Unfortunately, I neither have the tools to do this right now, nor the space to store the wood until the day I do have the tools necessary. So right now, I only grab stuff I can put to use immediately.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.