[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be me >be 21 >be living in shitty basement in detroit,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: detroit basement.jpg (9 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
detroit basement.jpg
9 KB, 183x275
>be me
>be 21
>be living in shitty basement in detroit, lucky cops haven't found me living in this abandoned building. It smells like shit and vomit, and is cold as fuck. Luckily i managed to rig up an internet connection, so i can ask for advice. What all can i do to improve this place?
>>
how do you internet?
>>
>>804760
Buy a 500$ van
>>
>>804768
i found an old ethernet outlet in the basement. I've got it rigged to nearby building stealing their wifi.

>>804770
Why?
>>
>>804771
Not him, but don't you think that living in your own, small, clean and comfy van is several times better than dwelling in cold shitty basement of Detroit Book Depository, where you can get killed or raped by hobos?
>implying it's not a bait
>>
Fight homeless people
>>
>>804760
Stop shitting and vomiting in there
>>
>>804760
https://warosu.org/diy/thread/S599315

https://warosu.org/diy/thread/S752338
>>
>>804760
While I know you're not actually living in a basement in Detroit, you're just a kid who thinks it would be cool to be homeless, here is some advice anyway. Also please note none of this applies directly to Detroit, as I've never even been there.

First the biggest issue is security, not from cops, they'll hassle you but won't generally beat you, kill you, or rape you. Now security here doesn't mean carry a gun because if you do then suddenly the cops will beat and kill you. It means securing your "home" basically find a way to make it very hard to access your area. Which means you need some way to lock it from the inside. A big beefy lock is the best way but you can use a few 2x4's with a giant nail as a swivel to block the door from opening inwards.

Next step is to clean it up as best as you can without making it obvious. Remove all the debris you can. You can try to wash it down to remove smells but honestly you get used to smells very quickly. If it's terrible buy or make a nose plug.

Next for the heat issue, don't try anything with electric because someone will notice and if it's really abandoned, the power is off. Assuming it's a shit old basement (and thus not airtight), you could run little propane stove to heat some water or food but anything burning runs the risk of killing you.

Your best bet for the cold is to build a small platform to raise you off the floor. Rig up some sort of "mattress" out of blankets. Then have several blankets on top of you. With enough blankets, you can survive a Siberian winter night outside.

Anything beyond making it a warm and safe place to sleep at night is stupid and some kid's apocalypse fantasy. Find somewhere you can take a shower and keep your clothes clean. The best way to avoid getting hassled when homeless is to not look homeless.
>>
>>804798
Those are some good ideas thank you. I have a source of income so i can afford a little to make it more livable.

>>804774
hard to find spots in detroit to park it.
>>
>>804760
>be OP
>claim to be 21
>be posting pic of shitty basement from the internet, then spin fictional story about living in a shitty basement of an abandoned building in Detroit attempting to troll /diy/
FTFY
Please fuck the fuck off.
>>
>>804811
I'm not trolling, i'm a fucking poor nigger in detroit trying my damndest to survive. All i asked was for some advice fucker
>>
>>804770
>Buy a 500$ van

$500 will buy a house in detroit these days, so buy house and fix it up
>>
>>804831
should i just buy a house? i have a source of income, not a legal source though.
>>
>>804771
>i found an old ethernet outlet in the basement. I've got it rigged to nearby building stealing their wifi.

hahahahaha

oh come on, don't try and lie about things you don't understand
>>
>>804839
remember this is detroit where everything is fucked up.
>>
>>804839
i figured it out because for some bizarre reason, the two buildings had linked wires, why they didn't remove these in my basement, i don't know ,but i found where the wire goes, tried it out and boom internet.
>>
>>804845
>plugged in to ethernet
>stealing wif
>plugged in
>wifi
What.
Do you mean they use like an att jetpack and you're stealing their precious precious megabytes?
>>
>>804857
Yeah what i mean is i'm stealing their internet connection.
>>
>>804831

$500 will NOT buy a house in Detroit. I say this as someone who lived in Warren.

$500 will buy you a decrepit wooden frame filled with mould and rusted iron pipes. $5000 might be just enough to demolish it, assuming you do it yourself. Then you have about an acre (at best) of polluted dirt that you'll have to pay backtaxes on, and may or may not have a functional utility connection.

Even a $10,000 RV is a better investment than buying any of the old homes in Detroit. There's a reason why perfectly good real estate is turning into urban prairie, because the cost of making it usable doesn't justify owning it.

>>804843
>>804845

Ethernet as we know it didn't exist until IEEE standardization in 1985. Considering that Detroit was already starting it's freefall since the gas crisis in 1970, it's very very very unlikely you'd find an Ethernet jack inside a random building. You've probably found a phone jack, at best. Even then it would be impossible to "rig" an Ethernet jack to "steal wifi", and finally there isn't any Ethernet cables, telephone cables or electrical cables in general in abandoned buildings because people steal them and sell them for scrap.

So my point is, you're clearly lying.
>>
>>804861

don't forget that fucking nobody had dedicated ethernet jacks until a few years ago, even servers used standard phone lines until the early 2000s when broadband came about
>>
>>804861
It actually had one, i was surprised myself, this isn't the first abandoned building i've been in. And thank for telling me not to waste my money on a shack. I probably should be using the time i have to look for a job and not be on 4chan
>>
>>804863

>It actually had one, i was surprised myself

No, it didn't. I've done urbex in Detroit and NONE of the buildings have any wiring in them, because of the scrap value. It's plain to everyone that you're just making shit up, so just stop posting.
>>
>>804866
So you've been in every building in Detroit? i doubt that.
>>
>>804863
Why? You're clearly not trolling anyone nor does anyone believe you.
>>
>>804867

I've been into enough to know that within a year of a building going dark all the electrical is pulled out by scalpers before the city can tear it down. Remember, Detriot is a coon town. From a single house you can easily get $500 worth of copper just in wiring, if there's copper pipes you can get $2000+ and more if there's an AC system.

And once again, Ethernet was not common until the 2000s. There are no Ethernet jacks in buildings that have been vacant for 20-30 years, and there certainly aren't any in homes that were owned by people who couldn't afford computers.
>>
>>804869
Why would i care if you believe it or not? I'm living it. I just asked for some advice to improve my abode.
>>
>>804871

it's not even your house, because you don't own it. If you squat the bank that owns it will evict you on the basis that you could hurt yourself and sue them for damages
>>
>>804873
I've installed traps on the upper floors, and i've got a few (black market of course) guns, to keep me safe
>>
File: 5b4.jpg (13 KB, 200x282) Image search: [Google]
5b4.jpg
13 KB, 200x282
>>804875

both of which are illegal too

anyway, I'm done getting le trolled so either post pics or didn't happen
>>
buildingdetroit.org
>>
>>804876
I'm aware they are illegal, but i figure if anyone falls into the traps and dies, well free food
>>
>>804878

>I'm not trolling, honest guiz!
>I'll eat people who die in my traps
>>
>>804891
ok charade is up, yeah this was all trolling. I've never even been to Detroit.
>>
>>804803
> hard to find spots in detroit to park it.
Now I know you're lying. I lived in metro Detroit for years, and visited the D often. There's nothing but free space around there to park; hell, a lot of the city is cleared space now.
>>
>>804861
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/06/17/detroit.artists.homes/

>Warren
That place is trash.
>>
>>804951
i already said it was all a hoax
>>
>>804957
Nigga we knew from post one.
>>
>>804957
"I already said it was all a hoax," the OP posted from his comfy, safe, secure bedroom in his safe, secure, luxurious suburban home, utterly heartbroken that his dreams of troll stardom came crashing down like a condemned building in his fictional Detroit.

The OP learned a valuable lesson that day: Pretending to be a nigger is one thing, but pretending to be a *convincing* nigger, well, let's just say that it's tougher than it sounds, and pretending to be a *Detroit* nigger? That's best left up to the professionals. The OP pondered this new-found wisdom over the plate of freshly-microwaved chicken tendies his mother had just brought him, chewing each delicious morsel thoughtfully.
>>
File: yotsuba1.png (50 KB, 300x353) Image search: [Google]
yotsuba1.png
50 KB, 300x353
>>805135
Lost it at "tendies".
>>
>>804798
>implying Detroit cops wont beat you or kill you
>>
>This is what passes for trolling these days
I swear, you kids have it easy. Back in my time we had to walk up hill in the snow to troll. So we damn well made sure it was something worth the effort.
I still have my well worn trollingsnowshoes hanging up on my wall. The webbing all but non-existent. The frames with visible cracks running through them. Oh the stories they could tell...

You brats just don't know how good you have it.
>>
I still don't see why the majority of this thread has been calling op a liar. We all know he's a faggot, but that's not the diy spirit you chuckleheads
>>
>>805267
>I still don't see why
>diy spirit

please go back to /b/ really
this board is not for kids
>>
>>805267
Shoo, shoo!
>>
>>804760
>lucky cops haven't found me
>cops
>In Detroit
You want to know how I know you're a lying sack of shit?
>>
Okay, forget OP and his grandiose charade, let's turn this thread into an urbex/temporary shelter/homelessness general.

New topics:
>Finding and securing shelter in urban areas
>Local sources of inexpensive/free food, power, and internet
>Useful items sourced from abandoned buildings
>Avoiding danger, from asbestos and exposed live wires to meth addicts and the police
>Squatter's rights

Personally I just want to drag a couple couches and some other furniture up to the second or third story of some abandoned structure with a nice view to have a place to chill away from any modern distractions. Just sit, read, drink a beer, watch the sun set.
>>
>>804760
Start some kind of anarchic pugilism society with your imaginary friend
>>
Why would a person be homeless in a place like detroit? If I lost my home, there'd be absolutely nothing left to keep me from hitching to Cali and being homeless there instead. And yes, I'm aware op was a fag got troll, it's just a general question.
>>
>>807329
Hitchhiking is a fucking nightmare these days. Everyone assumes you're going to murder them thanks to extremely effective smear campaigns through the 60's and 70's.
>>
File: kh-group.jpg (463 KB, 1894x1995) Image search: [Google]
kh-group.jpg
463 KB, 1894x1995
even tho this is a troll therad, i'll post some advice for any future squatters.

>how to stay warm:
pic related
you will need to construct a smaller room if you live in a big spacy, squat.
you can get planks and shit for any nearby construction site.

>security
like some anon posted before get a big lock, and have some alarms i.e.
put lots or loud debris infront of entrances (broken glass, cans, plastic...)
if you live in a dangerous area, make some traps.

>removing the smell
put vinegar/lemon juice mixed with baking soda in spray bottle, spray on walls and floor, scrub. (do this every day for about a week)
chlorine dioxide is used to remove mold
>>
>>807417
>even tho this is a troll therad

So you post a troll image. GJ.
>>
>>807419
i had two of those in a 3x2m room, with some diy candles (used bigger wicks) and it wasn't all that shabby.
>>
>>804760
>>804771
>Luckily i managed to rig up an internet connection
>i found an old ethernet outlet in the basement. I've got it rigged to nearby building stealing their wifi.

Found the lie.
>>
>>804760
ask /g/
>>
>>807419
>So you post a troll image

Nothing troll about those candle heaters, people use the old adage energy-in = energy-out but it's how that energy is stored and distributed/radiated that matters
>>
>>807468
here we go again seriously? just go away >>>/b/
>>
File: 1430116160555.jpg (82 KB, 832x584) Image search: [Google]
1430116160555.jpg
82 KB, 832x584
>>804760
>be me
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.