[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mask crafting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 41Qx6mQmBGL.jpg (26 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
41Qx6mQmBGL.jpg
26 KB, 375x500
Sup /diy/ i am looking for a way to do a metal mask kinda like pic related with maybe special facial traits to be adapted to my face, not looking for a way to attach it i'm just looking for a way to actually make it, bonus if it only require a basic metal plate as primary material. I am a non experienced crafter but i think i can sort things out, it is better is it has a certain thickness as i am certainly going to do a little carving inside of it and aeration hole for the mouse and maybe nose. I have actually no precise idea of what metal to use but i will g ofor easy working metal and not sensible to corrosion, i might be saying shit but i guess aluminium might be good for that, but again i have no precise idea. Thanks in advance
tl;dr :
i want to make a mask like pic related, need tools and advice concerning process.
>>
aluminum would be what I would choose, but you're going to need bodyworking-type tools do do that. and a way to weld it as well,,,, and torch-welding thin aluminum is hard and almost requires expensive goggles. And an aluminum-capable TIG is going to cost at least $1800 or so. So while it can be done using aluminum, it won't be cheap.

stainless steel could work too but you would need a plasma cutter as well (another $1000+ machine)

-------

if you do it in fiberglass there is ways to get that sort of finish on it. in fact....... just looking at that picture, I'd bet that it was not made of real-actual-metal.
>>
>>771147
Thanks for your contribution, as you present it it would be hard to work with metal, do you know any alternative "solid" material to metal, i am not familiar with fiberglass and know nothing about it, i am going to look furthermore on that material but if you want to detail your way to do a fiberglass mask with the caracteristics that i mentioned feel free to do so, remember that i would like something kind of "robust". Thanks in advance
>>
>>771148
>i am not familiar with fiberglass and know nothing about it,
you could do this WAY cheaper with fiberglass than with metal. fiberglass is messy and not exactly cheap, but it only requires hand tools to work with.

Volpin props is one site with some tutorials but keep in mind those guys build fiberglass stuff all the time, they make it look very easy.

you might just budget enough for making two masks, because the first one will look like crap.... but the second one will avoid a lot of mistakes of the first, and will look a lot better
>>
>>771132
Fiberglass is going to be a hell of a lot cheaper, and lighter.
All you need is the fiberglass sheets, the resin, and a foam block to carve the shape of the mask in. The only other tools you need are a paper cup, tongue depressor, and cheap paint brush.

Carve the mask into the foam, spray with a release agent, mix the resin, apply fiberglass sheets to foam and paint it with resin, do a couple layers of that, wait for it to cure, cut out eye and breathing holes and excess fiberglass, sand any edges, and spray with a clear coat paint.

Use a mask/respirator and goggles for any sanding and cutting. Fiberglass is *not* something you want to inhale or get into your eyes.
>>
Thanks for both of your replies, i think i'm going to go with fiberglass as it is cheaper as you said and easier to work with, also is fiberglass rebust enough to be screwd with metal component, to attach the mask on my head i planned to do a system screwed to the sides of the mask to seal it tight to my face with a piece coming directly behind my head with a rubber cushion for comfort, do you think that a certain mechanical tension might ruin the mask or will it do fine ? Anyway thanks a lot for all your contribution.
>>
>>771132
Blowtorch, ballpeen hammer
>>
How can i carve an aproximate representation of my face in the foam acurately ? I only need the basic traits of my face.
>>
File: image.jpg (233 KB, 769x1285) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
233 KB, 769x1285
>>771498
If you want a likeness to your face you could just cast it in plaster.
http://m.instructables.com/id/How-To-Cast-a-Face-in-Plaster/
>>
i would got lurk /po/ for a mask thread. they know masks for wearing and wall hanging. once you have some sort of 3d model of what you want (clay maybe?) and if you really want to tap out a metal mask, look into copper or bronze smithing. if you really want a bullet resistant mask /k/ can point you in the right direction
>>
OP, are you just looking to make something similar to that mask from Army of Two?

You could just buy the airsoft mask for $10-20, add a bit of clay on top with your personal features, then spray the whole thing and finish for that metallic look.
>>
A little advice: Never go metal for this kind of work unless it will NOT be hanging from your head (heavy and can scratch your skin). If it's just 'art' to hang to a wall, yeah, try it.

But first you need to get the structure right. Play with some play-doh and try to make a scaled-down version of it. Once you realize your work is shit, you'll need to git gud at it.

Then, and only then, think and ask for advice on materials and techniques.

>the mold/model is everything.

You need to get one (1) good result in whatever material is cheap for practice, then you can do it for real with resin, fiberglass, metal, you name it.
>>
>>771656
>if you really want a bullet resistant mask /k/ can point you in the right direction
We really can't. They're an awful idea and you'll end up almost as dead as if you weren't wearing one.
>>
Look up sandcasting or investment molding or lost foam casting. You can create your mask out of a cheap material like foam or wax or wood or whatever, in whichever shape you want.

learn a bit about molding types and casting and you can make one from molten aluminum which only needs a small brick or concrete gas furnace and aluminum doesn't melt at Super high temperatures so you can use a simple steel crucible.

After that is simple metal tooling/chasing which only requires simple grinders and sanding.

There's a million simple aluminum sandcasting videos.

If you get good you can upgrade your shit and start using copper alloys.
>>
>>771746
This will also allow you to make thicker masks that are pre-formatted to your face shape from easily workable materials so you don't have to knock little pieces of flimsy tin into the shape you want.
>>
>>771132
that mask just looks like black plastic that was painted with cheap metallic paint
>>
>>771719
Yeah it would be a very similar mask style.
>>771656
>>771737
Pretty funny because i already made a thread in /k/ suggesting the idea of a bulletproof head protection like a mask of some kinds and we did dig the subject to share idea about it, but no, i want a robust mask but not something able to stop bullets.

I will first try to do it with fiberglass, the only difficulties that i encounter is being able to make the mask "adapted to my face" by avoiding compression of the nose and attaching it strongly enough so that it dont fall like in payday for example, then i have seen videos about sandcasting which is a pretty interesting concept so i may or may not try this later.
>>
>>771147
I vote aluminum as well but suggest lost foam casting.
A charcoal forge made from plaster and sand output from a vacuum or old squirrel cage fan for a bellows and stainless steel water bottles make great crucibles. CHEAP!
Foam is easy to shape with a heat gun and carves with hand tools then sanded and sealed with a smooth laying clear coat leaves little clean up work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7KOUfjuMlI
>>
File: tumblr_mrgmdaVrFt1r9khx4o3_1280.jpg (262 KB, 1000x670) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mrgmdaVrFt1r9khx4o3_1280.jpg
262 KB, 1000x670
ballistics face mask. useless. kek.
bump for interest. anyone else make masks?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.