[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /diy/ Had a party a few weeks ago where some fucker kicked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 20160405_173835.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160405_173835.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Hi /diy/

Had a party a few weeks ago where some fucker kicked a hole in my door. Ive seen a lot of guides online about repairing holes, but all of them are for a flat surface, not a textured 6 panel door.

Can you recommend me a way to fix it or am I better off just buying a new door?
>>
File: 20160405_173845.jpg (980 KB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160405_173845.jpg
980 KB, 3264x1836
>>973431

Here is a close up.
>>
>>973431
there are plenty of ways to fix it. However, they will all take more time AND cost more than spending $30 on a door of the same size and moving all the hardware. you'll need a drill, drill bits and screwdriver/bits. Possibly a chisel if you didn't get the door that is mortised out and it matters to you.

but if it REALLY matters to you, the only fix I've seen that doesn't sound just awful, is get a can of expanding foam insulation, cut out the hole to clean edges, spray the foam inside, and sand it down to a profile you're happy with, possibly patch it with wood putty (which is easier to shape since it doesn't expand).
Then carefully carve striations in the surface to match the wood grain texture of the door, then paint it.
So $5 for foam, $5 for paint, $5 for sandpaper, 5$ for putty, and at LEAST 3 hrs of work to MAYBE get a decent result and save $10-15.
>>
Just fill flat with white filler/plaster. Finger in the grain lines to match if you must. Noone will fucking notice again till its kicked again and it falls out.
>>
>>973451
If you own your house

>>973460
If you rent
>>
>>973460
>>973461

I rent. The problem I have with trying to patch it is that the hole is on the edge of the panel so its not just a totally flat surface. Im unsure if I can reshape the damaged area by hand to properly match the panel.
>>
>>973486
you can probably reshape it well enough that after sanding painting it won't be highly noticeable. Looks like most of the door parts are still there. I wouldn't use the expanding foam though it's messy as fuck. Just get a piece of that craft foam that's kind of like styrofoam and cut the size and shape you need from that to insert into the door.
>>
>>973431
If that was my door I'd have replaced it years ago with something made of wood, not cardboard and plastic.
>>
>Im unsure if I can reshape the damaged area by hand to properly match the panel.

you can get a close approximation by running a 4-inch wide spatula along the existing grooves. the spatula will bounce up and down, shaping your paste into the existing profile. let this dry on the horizontal, then repeat on the vertical. finalize with fine sandpaper once everything is dry.
>>
>>973486
just tell your landlord you where moving a heavy desk out and you fucked up the door. offer to pay for a replacement door on the spot [have the cash with you] holy shit don't over complicate it. as long as you pay your shit on time, and aren't a retard always fucking things up. landlord would not give too fucks. if you wanna be a special snowflake, go out and buy the door before hand, tell your landlord and say you'll rehang a new door but you wanted to let him/her know before you dickens with anything.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.