[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I bore straight into wood usin only a drill and wood boing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 20160331_084530.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160331_084530.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
How do I bore straight into wood usin only a drill and wood boing bits?
>>
>>970572
Use a new, sharp bit, preferably brad point. Use jigs/channels to line up the bit. Check your setup and accuracy about eight times. Advance fairly slowly, clearing chips often. Pray.

>still gonna follow the grain at least a little bit the majority of the time
>>
File: hawk.jpg (300 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
hawk.jpg
300 KB, 1024x768
>>970572
You are approaching this all wrong. Your only hope is to start with a small diameter pilot hole. Unless the grain is perfectly straight, drilling won't work and even if the grain is straight, drilling is a 5% chance. I make tomahawks and the pipe ones have the haft holed for smoking. The only thing that works is to use a small diameter steel rod heated to cherry red and plunged through the center. It's slow go, an inch or so at a time but it will allow you to stay true and centered. Once you have the pilot hole, you can use slightly larger diameter drills to enlarge the hole as big as you need.
>>
depending on the size of the piece, consider turning the piece and keeping the drill still. That way it centers itself. Only possible if your piece fits into your chuck though.
>>
>>970572
Does the piece have to be drilled? Can you saw it down the middle, route a channel in each piece and glue it back together?
>>
>>970764
This is how they do it commercially. Requires a lathe or end mill with hollow chuck. Piece is rotated against a stationary drill bit. If you ever chucked a bell hangers bit in a drill and accidentally hit the switch, you will know why this is the only way to drill the center of a long piece of stock.
>>
>>970572
I know how! I'll let you know if you tell me how to mow my lawn using only a lawn mower.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.