[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much work is involved in becoming a surveyor (while also
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
How much work is involved in becoming a surveyor (while also being a student)?

Is it possible?
>>
>>970497
uhh, you need a university degree for that. it's an associate engineering degree at the least. there is more to surveying than just putting down a theodolite. you need to understand geology and trigonometry.
>you are surveying potential roads
>you find yourself in a location
>is it the best location? it's flat and dry
>it's fucking sand and it will wash out
>is this going to build the best road?
>must balance initial investment with maintenance and benefit

>you are surveying
>the power company wants to put a power pylon up around here
>how hard is it going to be to get machinery in here?
>will a truck bog down in the mud?
>will it fall over?
>>
>>970499
okay thanks. makes sense really. didnt know you needed an eng degree though. thats what im studying at the moment and thought i might be able to pull some small surveying role at the same time (i think i'd understand the geol and trig).

but just looking up qualifications and it says to become a registered surveyor takes 2 years practical experience.. by that time i'll have the eng degree anyway.

and i'm guessing that no one wouldn't take on any unregistereds
>>
>>970502
no one would*
>>
>>970497

In my third world shit hole of a country you get it if you finish a one year course.

I got my license after i finished a geology course back in high school. Fun times...
>>
>>970502
you mean a chartered engineer.
there is a difference between gaining chartered status and having a degree. places will take you on if you dont have chartered status. it's not that hard once you know about the geology stuff. the chartered thing is where you submit examples of projects you have worked on to prove that you are competent in the field and then this extra title makes it so that your degree is transferable to other countries.

there's technical skills you'd need to learn doing a surveying stream as well. taking core samples for example is a technical skill that you would learn. because when putting something heavy and permanent down you need to know if it will blow over or sink.

there are also other weird things like say you are laying a rail track, how likely is it to flood? you have X specified tolerances for maximum warp over the next 20 years or it will cost billions of dollars to repair ect.
>>
>>970504
yeah but your skill set is going to be limited to planning fences or grading building sites.
>>
>>970502
There's surveying and then there's surveying. Not all surveys are equal, either in responsibilities or entry requirements.

It's a huge field, one that many people underestimate (npi).

Make a mistake and the fallout could ruin you and/or your company in a flash.

Once you have your engineering degree you will have a solid basis to branch out, but by all means start learning now, just don't expect it to be one of those things you can just fall into.

Best of luck
>>
>>970497
In America for a licensed surveyor you need a four years degree and 4 years of practical experience same as a professional engineer or registered architect. But to get started you can get an internship or a rod man position with 2 year education. Also surveying for construction in considered a trade and unions exist for it.
>>
Ex survey worker here. To be licensed, you need a degree and then expensive certification. You can be a survey tech with no education, though, doing the actual work in the field and then bringing the paperwork and drawings back to the office for the surveyors to stamp. Degree is still recommended, geometry knowledge will help a lot.

If you're getting into 3d scanning (what I was doing) there's a significant software aspect to it that you'll want to learn. At least a basic understanding of 3d modeling is needed.
>>
>>970505
story on the pic?
>>
>>970497
I want to be a surveyor too.
Good luck anon.
>>
>>970506

Lol no.

Laborers can plan fences and masons can grade building sites.
>>
>>970499
This guy is wrong.

>>970497
>>970502
I was working for a surveying firm while going to school for civil engineering. Basic math. Front sight. Back sight. Known points. Set up equipment. Don't break it. Point. Shoot.

Surveying sucks. Get into something better.
>>
>>972454
ok but in australia they would not do this. any company would be mad to hire someone with no binding qualification to do this kind of work. there's a reason my town doesnt even know where a bunch of the main water and sewer pipes run.

also why mistakes were made and now there are entire streets of houses running over water pipes that can't be maintained now because the surveying was fucked up and instead of it being under the road, the water pipes ended up under houses. this was all done 100 years ago when you could just get the job after grade 10. i guess merica is like this now.
>>
>>972487
>surveying was fucked up
was it really bad surveying? or just shitty planning on the part of the water system designers?
surveyors can only lay out what some asshole has designed
>>
>>972496
it's the surveyors job to write down exactly where to find something you buried a hundred years ago. its why it's important to get it right.
>>
>>970499
>uhh, you need a university degree for that. it's an associate engineering degree at the least
uh, no. my old Army Reserve unit was a Combat Engineer unit and we had one slot in the whole Battalion for a surveyor. Some 18 y/o chick joined for that job. When she finished AIT she got a job with a construction company. First project was building the Kentucky Speedway, yes, this was a few years ago
>>
>>972935
used to be more labor and mental intensive, now an expensive survey base tool and instruments make it as simple as putting the base station down, determining its location(GPS and such) then using line of sight to it and your special stick. All the data is collected by the base station and stick, zapped to field office and/or engineers. Tadaaa, done.

Or do you mean geological and resource surveying? The needed knowledge to be able to determine, study, sample(accurately) and correlate/postulate possible/definite resources/materials/stability of a site/region??

If you are doing so as a student as a side job related to your field. Do so via your schools connections/fellow students. They'll eat that shit up. Just remember if you travel more than a hundred miles, unless your school is the only one of its type in said distance, your connections will be pointless.
>>
>>972935
the army is different. in merica your VA doctors are a 6 week course.

>>973067
yeah that's what I meant. I guess if OP wants to just be a tech he could do that in a number of fields. I had a job installing client machines for banks at university when I studdied EE. the whole job application was a farce. I just had to look like i knew what I was doing and then my job was to drive to a bank, unpack a box and plug it in. once plugged in the preloaded OS let the IT people in the capital remotely login and run the setup. paid pretty well. about 400$ just to drive an hour out of town to some remote bank for 5 minutes work. 200$ if it was in town.
>>
In my country we have surveying high school ( which i finished) and college. With high school you can do all the shit on the field and office (autoCAD and all that stuff) but you still need someone with a degree and cert to stamp your work for the national database ( don't know if there is an english word for it). As far as field work goes you can learn that shit on the fly since it's pretty much knowing where to place the prism and working the theodolite is like learning to work with some stuff on the pc. Unless you go into larger distances where you have to account the earth curveature and everything. And roads can be a bitch remembering all laws of your country and at which angle the road should be and god damn curves. Man i just hate roads. I mean i hate actually calculating all that but just laying that shit on the field is ok. Anyway, it can be hard but can also be easy
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.