[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hear me out /diy/ The pic related is a repeating crossbow as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
Hear me out /diy/
The pic related is a repeating crossbow as you can tell.
Now, i have been intrigued thinking of ways to improve it. Then i remembered the crossbow in Skyrim.
If you remember it, it had a lever that pulls the string into place and readies the trigger, the bolt in manually jammed into the slot and the string is behind it ready to shoot.
Then i look at the chinese one with a cartridge above, gravity drops the bolts into place and there is no trigger, just push-pull until its empty and there are no cross-hairs because of the cartridge.
Also, i remembered the lever on the Winchester rifle, the one around the trigger that you push down and it loads a bullet.
The question i ask you is how can those 3 be combined?
-cartridge below
-lever (like the one i saw in Syrim) is expanded down to the trigger (winchester rifle)
-the bolt from the cartridge is loaded into place and ready to fire
-cartridges can be replaced, reloaded
- OR a pump action crossbow that has a replaceable cartridge

I just need ideas on improvement and realization of the project and suggestions.
Also, it will be made out of spring-steel, wood and iron.
>>
Best you could do is a spring loaded magazine at the bottom and a stopper on the top to keep the bolts from just flying out. Probably less accurate.

Trying to improve on the manual cranking isn't going to happen. You don't just pull the string backwards. You are transferring energy from your muscles to the crossbow limbs.

And these repeating crossbows were quite weak compared to "real" ones, otherwise it would have been unusable.

If you want to improve on it while keeping it a crossbow, add some pneumatics.
>>
>>970290
Yeah a lever-action crossbow would involve your feet and you leaning most of your body-weight on it to cock it.

Otherwise, a stiff lever pulling back a string would have about as much energy as you throwing a brick.

If you need a gun, OP, just go buy a gun.
>>
well what you have in your picture is a "Chu-ko-nu"

it fires an arrow in one motion by using the arrow magazine to draw the string, pre-knocking the bolt

they were made to fire a voley of tiny arrows very quickly, and were used en-masse by relatively untrained archers to hinder an enemies pike formations

they were neither accurate or powerful, because the draw is relying on a single action lever fired from the upright position
you COULD make a powerful version, but that would lower your rate of fire and at that point the whole design looses effectiveness

you could make a pump action version easily by loosing the lever and attaching the magazine to a slide, but it would be even weaker because it would be a bad position to draw with bow arm from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEuIwpYv3P0 (terrible video, but good design for a toy bow)

you could also hinge the lever under the bow instead of on top, but physics dictates the length of the lever is proportional to the ease with which you can apply force to it

I think some kid made one here that is probably close to what you want
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDEbMFYSJMs
>>
>old brit making automatic crossbows because of arthritis
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOEev4NlbRigz4SQDNsoj3A
>>
>>970290
Here's a long quote from Islands in the Sea of Time, by S.M. Stirling.

This time Ronald had used a whole leaf from a spring for the crossbow. It was set at the front of a rifle-type stock.
"How does it cock?" Ian asked. There was a steel claw arrangement hooked to the center of the wire string streched across the shallow cord of the bow. He pulled at the string with a tentative hand. It was like a solid bar, immovable.
"That's a stiff draw," he said.
"Over three hundred and fifty pounds," the machinist said. "Brace the stock against your hip and hold the grip. Now put your other hand on the forestock, through that oval metal loop that sticks out beyond the wood. Feel that catch under your thumb? Press it down."
Ian obeyed. A steel lever came out of its slot in the forestock, hinged at the rear a few inches ahead of the trigger guard.
"Pump it back and forth, like the lever on a car jack."
There was a soft heavy resistance with every stroke, and the crossbow's string inched backward. At the sixth it clicked home near the trigger action and the rear sight, the heavy steel bow bent and ready.
Ian whistled. Not even the windlass-wound monsters the crossbowmen of medieval Genoa and Venice used were more powerful, and it had taken far less time to cock, barely ten seconds, probably less with practice.
>>
do you even have 70 range yet faggot?
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.