[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
moving to western africa to live in a mud hut for a couple years.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 3e3.jpg (84 KB, 488x516) Image search: [Google]
3e3.jpg
84 KB, 488x516
moving to western africa to live in a mud hut for a couple years. My job is going to revolve around education (health, sexual, other garbage you think people could figure out on their own) but in regards to the living arrangements I'm not sure where to start teaching myself. Every google result is either super liberal "I LOVE MY MUD HUT SO MUCH AFRICANS HAVE TRUE WISDOM ON HOW TO LIVE" or "MUD HUTS ARE LITERALLY HITLER IN HOUSE FORM, PLEASE DONATE MONEY TO GET THESE POOR PEOPLE OUT OF THEM" so the actual information in that regard is not very good.

Basically I'm wondering if /diy/ has any experience in this regard, especially regarding things like improvements. I'm sure west africans have specialized the art of mud hut making but part of me doesn't trust a culture that thinks raping babies will cure AIDS to be the most scientifically accurate.
>>
File: upgrayedd.jpg (51 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
upgrayedd.jpg
51 KB, 500x379
>>970092
God I hope you are not a white woman, Op look into people living in off grid cabins same principle, there is probably a lack of doors and windows in a hut so bugs will be a problem mosquito nets will be a must as well as a nice comfy cot. Make sure you have good sandals walking in dirt is horrible for feet when you kick off your boots, plenty of cool and light clothing will be nice too for that sans ac environment. Find a safe water source and keep a pitcher of water and store it in shade for hydration purposes through out the day. Bring a solar charger and some extra battery banks for your devices. If you can get a battery operated fan that will be a huge plus. Also remember there will be spiders scorpions ants rats snakes and mosquito, flies and gnat clouds. Don't sleep on the ground or they will feast on you.

Pic unrelated
>>
You should be asking on how to /diy/ a coffin instead.
>>
>>970101

>walking in dirt is horrible for feet when you kick off your boots

Not OP.

I walk around barefoot all the time when I am off work. On sand, concrete and everything in between. I would say the worst is concrete but there is nothing wrong with being barefoot on dirt unless you have been in shoes your whole life.
>>
>>970092
> mud hut
As long as you keep an open mind as to what they mean by mud you will be fine.
Because they build it out of literally anything: Mud, manure, their own shit, dead animals and bones etc.
The first improvement is bring a few magic trees with you because it stinks like shit.
Anything you bring will be stolen, improvements to your hut will bring suspicion.
>>
>>970092
are you sure its going to be a mud hut? they will probably put you up with a family. you know the mud hut thing is a meme? the massai are actually quite wealthy from all the tourism. they dress up like professional actors for the wealthy tourists. they live in normal western houses. it's called ethnotourism. dont believe everything you see on /pol/. also adobe is a great material.
>>
>>970116
Type survival into thepiratebay and you'll get a trove of PDFs you can put on a kindle dx and have an effective hitchhikers guide.

DX are old though, so I'd also advise a diy jib to replace the battery
>>
>>970115
Except for all the parasites
>>
>>970115
Ok but in africa there are , rocks, thorns , ants, aids , glass. Step outside your bubble
>>
>>970131
dont forget the lions.
>>
>>970132
They aren't to painful depending on which part you stand on
>>
>>970119
I was told to expect a mud hut or a tin shack and not much more. I was explicitly told not to bring anything valuable (like solar chargers/electronics) because it would almost be guaranteed to be stolen, so I was looking mainly for improvements I could make that couldn't just be jacked while I'm out working.

>>970121
nice. What I've found so far looks cool. I'm going to look into what I can print this stuff on so that it won't dissolve on me during the rainy season. I was actually told books never get stolen so they're cool to bring, so maybe I'll just buy them if they won't fall apart on me in the next few years.
>>
>>970092
yep, if you were a white woman this would possibly be the worst idea you've ever had and ever will have.

The best improvement you could make is a passive filtration system. Get all the bugs out of the water before you drink it. Maybe bring some iodine tablets for desperate times.

Another improvement you could make is probably learn how to shoot a gun.
>>
>>970457
clean water
you can make a filter out of any container. food grade drums shouldnt be too hard.

how did you get this work? I kind of want to go work in some shitty rural 3rd world village and apply my diy skills there.
>>
>>970092
If possible bring a few chickens. Trade them for a decent rifle, then just take the best hut you find.
>>
Also type in info graphics into thepiratebay, some dude made a huge folder of them. Also there was a /diy archive, think twas called INFO
>>
>>970457
books never get stolen. funny stuff

people will probably hate on it here but google earthship homes and they do some pretty cool stuff with concrete.

i suggest maybe you just dont go though.
>>
>>970092
Why the fuck would you subject yourself to hell on earth? Your chances of getting murdered are quite high. Hope youre a white woman.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.