[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im kinda upgrading an old subwoofer. Is it worth adding another
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Snapchat-954605357718529593.jpg (471 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-954605357718529593.jpg
471 KB, 1080x1920
Im kinda upgrading an old subwoofer. Is it worth adding another heatsink here? The standard heatsink usually does get quite warm. Or should i rather add a low noise/slow spinning fan to the system?
>>
File: FinalHeatsink.png (925 KB, 1106x736) Image search: [Google]
FinalHeatsink.png
925 KB, 1106x736
>>967322
bolting on an extra heatsink to a distant fin wont do shit. you can either upgrade the heatsink or add a fan.
>>
>>967322
>Im kinda upgrading an old subwoofer. Is it worth adding another heatsink here?
No.
>The standard heatsink usually does get quite warm.
That's what heatsinks are supposed to do. If it didn't get "quite warm" that would mean there was something wrong with it.
>Or should i rather add a low noise/slow spinning fan to the system?
No again. If it's only getting "quite warm", then it's operating within spec and everything's fine. Heatsinks with thick blades like that are passive heatsinks, and are designed like that so they generate their own convective airflow. Adding a fan doesn't really help, because they don't have the surface area the many thin fins of an active heatsink have.
>>
>>967329
lol what impractical monstrosity is this
>>
>>967338
It seems to be a computer generated fractal heatsink. It is designed to have the maximum area possible between the fins, that is why it looks weird. I think with a fan blowing air with a high flow rate through the fins this might be the most efficient heatsink one can make for a certain block size, although completely impractical to physically build.
I'd guess you'd have to computer CNC it from one of the sides with a very long, thin bit or something, does not sound like a fun time.
>>
>>967340
Not really. You ever heard of extruding?
>>
>>967358
have you ever actually tried extruding something?
>>
>>967334
By quite warm I mean very fucking hot actually. I worry that if i put my woofer in a not very well ventilated spot (for example under my desk next to a radiator) it will get too hot.
>>
>>967383
if it doesn't become painful to hold your finger on the most distant fin for more than 5s, it's well within operating temperature. Most semiconductors can approach the boiling point of water without failing.
>>
>>967383
>put my heat dissipation device next to a radiator
adding a heatsink wont stop you from being retarded.
>>
>>967340
>>967338
It's iteratively grown using a GA.

https://blogs.mentor.com/robinbornoff/blog/2015/03/

If I had to build this, I'd probably stamp it out of thin copper sheets and bolt them together, like the Zalman flower coolers.

Really, it's a dumb idea, because you should be using manufacturability as one of the fitness criteria when you're growing the thing. You'd almost certainly get more cooling for the same copper by alternating each full plate with a spacer that's just the contact spot, letting air flow over the whole front surface of the plate, but rather than guess how great that effect, you should be calculating it and feeding it back into the GA.

Far from producing a heatsink, this research has made merely a pretty picture; if I wanted a pretty tree-like thing, I'd just buy a copy of SpeedTree.
>>
>>967383
Attach a low rpm 140mm computer fan to it. If your woofer is not a chink piece of shit it was probably well designed and thought of so your fan will not help with anything but there is a chance it will make electronics on the board last longer (especially nearby capacitors).
>>
>>967855
this.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.