[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need electrician advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: shitty diagram.png (11 KB, 819x460) Image search: [Google]
shitty diagram.png
11 KB, 819x460
So I'm doing a bathroom remodel, and have run into a snag with the wiring (shitty diagram very related).

Switch 2 must be GFCI protected as it is an exhaust fan and light directly over the shower. Switch 1 does not need such protection.

The problem arises when I turn on the switch for the fan, the GFCI trips.

Other info that may be related:

This particular circuit also includes my garage.
Line and load sides are not mixed up.
The top middle square of the diagram is the source cable (black is hot, pink is neutral).
I omitted the ground in the diagram as it shouldn't be relevant.
>>
>>964540
GFCI receptacles have two different sets of terminals. One set will be marked line, this is where power from the panel is connected, and other other set is load. The load terminals will protect any outlets downstream that are connected to this.

For anything protected by the GFCI, the neutrals will need to connect to the load neutral terminal. Same as for the hots as well, they need to be connected to the load hot terminal. But in the case of the fan (if it needs to be protected), wire the hot terminal to one of the switch terminals and the other switch terminal to the hot on the fan. The neutral will just be wire directly to the load neutral. If any downstream device does not feed the neutral back through the load terminal on the GFCI, the GFCI will trip.
>>
>>964542

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think that's what my diagram shows. The switch for the fan is fed off the load terminals.
>>
>>964540
Your diagram shows the GFCI is switched off the first switch? That's really all I can think of, otherwise your diagram looks fine to me.
>>
OP here.

Found out that the light isn't setting off the gfi, but the fan is (hooked them up separately and tested). Called the manufacturer, and they are sending out a replacement motor. Thanks for the help diy.
>>
>>964540
>This particular circuit also includes my garage.
Bathroom outlets are supposed to be dedicated 20A, GFCI protected circuits. So using the outlet as GFCI protection for your fan is a no no on code. If you've got it apart I'd try to remedy this as it will lessen complications in the future.
>>
>>965587
Yeah well, that would require a lot of work for something that is working just fine (given that the motor on the fan was the issue). In order to bring my house to code I would have to do a full rewire, and that's not going to happen since I've done a home rewire before and it was the biggest pain in the ass project I've ever done. There's also no way I could afford to pay an electrician 10k or more to do it for me.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.