[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Right type of wood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: hookandcubby.png (31 KB, 885x587) Image search: [Google]
hookandcubby.png
31 KB, 885x587
My apartment enters directly into my kitchen and it's a mess, so I'm looking to build something to offer some storage space for hatts, mitts, etc as well as some hooks for hanging up coats. I want this to be something that will last and look somewhat decent, but I'm a noob with wood. Only thing I've ever really built was a cat tree out of 2x4's, some plywood and carpet scraps.

Dimensions aren't set in stone, something like 44" wide, 10" deep (not counting the backing) and ~20-22" tall (cubbies about half that).

Where I'm getting lost is with what type of wood to use.. I'm trying to keep the cost down, but don't want it to look like shit. I'd prefer to stain it rather than paint it. I know this is probably dumb to expect to do on the cheap.

Dressed wood seems like it only comes up to maybe 10-12" wide. One local place has 11 1/4" poplar for $4.94/ft, or about $100 for the whole thing, but I'd have to do the back in two pieces. Do I just glue two pieces together to make one big piece? Thought about using plywood, but it would be a different wood than the rest, so it wouldn't look the same.

Other option is some pre-laminated 3/4" pine boards from home depot that come up to 20" wide, which can cover the full size of the back piece with some minor adjustments to the plans. Cost would be $85 CAD before tax.

Any suggestions/tips about this? I'm in the Toronto area if you know anywhere good to get the wood.
>>
You could build the whole thing out of plywood and run edge banding to cover up the edges. Build the sides out of solid wood and the just the back part with ply or luan.

Really though, just go find something on ana white's site and just follow along or pick up a premade rack. Any of your craft stores up there should have a stain ready wood one for ~$10-$15 USD.
>>
File: outdoorbenchallsmall.jpg (1 MB, 4096x4096) Image search: [Google]
outdoorbenchallsmall.jpg
1 MB, 4096x4096
>>962538
EWW buttjoints. and you're worried about it looking like crap? I mean, not even mitered buttjoints?! also those shelves aren't really gonna hold any real weight safely due to the buttjoints.

What kind of power tools you got? router? datostack?

also I know you're a Canadian and you all do/say things differently. but when you say 44 inches wide, you mean long?..

Post what tools ya got, and maybe a DL link to that sketchup file in your OP, the sizes of the cheapest wood you can get yourself without being plywood. and I can help ya out a bit from a woodworking standpoint.

>pic related, just finished this and saved everything and started browsing /diy/ when I saw this thread.
>>
pine?
>>
>>962556
>>962607

These are the same suggestions I'd make. I'd imagine being in Canada you'll have a wealth of wood available at a reasonable cost.

Generally speaking Pine is the cheapest wood for what you can do with it.

Being in Canada you'll have to give a lot of consideration to seasonal expansion so using plywood would help counteract that a lot.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.