[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Custom Water Cooling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10
File: 1456924342366.jpg (45 KB, 350x262) Image search: [Google]
1456924342366.jpg
45 KB, 350x262
How would I go about doing something like in the picture? Silliness of it aside, I think it looks neat and would be fun to implement. I don't know how to properly search for the parts I need because I don't know what the peices are called.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>960796
Waterblocks
>>
>>960796
This is how i would go about it:
>Look for an online shop for industrial stuff which does sell to normal customers aswell.
>Buy tubing ( with noteably small width of the walls ) and then look for tube connectors for the same diameter.
>choose connectors which are cheep and copper or stainless steel.
>Try to find something made out of copper as a endpiece for cooling, or get a block (size as the chips you want to cool) and drill a hole halfway through.
>Try to cut off the piece of the connector holding the tube and attach it to the cooling block or even better find a connector that you can directly use.

This is just an idea from a person who worked with tubes similar to your pic before.
Might not be super efficient, but then again, it's a diy build and the point is that it should work atleast.
>>
I appreciate the input! I just hope the seals stay tight, I've heard bad things about custom water cooling solutions leaking. What do I do about the pump/radiator thing that cools the water?
>>
File: 1450486521139.jpg (74 KB, 650x754) Image search: [Google]
1450486521139.jpg
74 KB, 650x754
>>960796
>>
File: H20-320-EDGE-HD-WTX800.jpg (58 KB, 800x437) Image search: [Google]
H20-320-EDGE-HD-WTX800.jpg
58 KB, 800x437
>>960863
>What do I do about the pump/radiator thing that cools the water?

Get a big one. A water cooling radiator is usually very pricey.

The only place I can see liquid cooling being useful is in tight spaces or for serious overclocking using very low temp liquids.

The cooling unit on my PC takes up almost as much room as the 600watt PSU. It has 2 fans and the temps in speccy are usually 2-3 degrees C above room temps. Like right now it is 24C in the room and 27C on the CPU.
>>
File: _0.jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
_0.jpg
20 KB, 300x300
>>960943
Oh, and my cooling unit isn't liquid cooling. It is one of these, not sure the exact model, unless I spend time looking it up.
>>
>>960796
triggered
why water cool a device that doesnt even need a heat sink?
>>
>>960947
They are overclocking it.
>>
>>960943
Ive never understood water cooling radiators and why they are so ass rape expensive... Must be the PC 'nerds' arent as smart as they seem... Any motorcycle radiator will legit work the same way but for like half the price. You can pick up ones for like 50 bucks used. And you can have any size you want.. Hell autozone you can pick up a civic radiator for like 45 bucks... Lmao a bit big but maxium cooling!
>>
File: 02-116.jpg (78 KB, 602x483) Image search: [Google]
02-116.jpg
78 KB, 602x483
>>960960
>this fucking guy

They are made out of copper so they dont corrode like a motorcycle one would, you would have to run additives to stop the corrosion.

They are designed specifically to fit into computer cases, and use high quality appropriate sized fittings for heat blocks.

And most importantly pic related costs 60$. All the other shit (that you would need with a motorcycle radiator too) like the reservoir, water pump, fittings, water blocks is what really makes the price add up.
>>
acrylic tubing is what you're looking for op. You'll need several heating tools and plyers and workbench of some sort to heat the acrylic tubing just enough to bend it to your liking and then letting it cool. CPU magazine wrote an article on how to DIY it, just google it though you'll find it.
>>
Here you go dawg. All you need is like a $20 decent heat gun apparently. I didn't know that. I think I'm going to do this as future project after I finish sleeving all my cables :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ7MuUntEkI
>>
>>960974
>made out of copper so they dont corrode
wut? radiators in vehicles are brass or aluminium. generally aluminium though.

>>960960
its generally the tooling. a radiator is not a radiator is not a radiator. you can and it has been done to use a car radiator as a pc radiator.
>>
>>960953
over clocking it to what?
>>
>>960974
>They are made out of copper so they dont corrode like a motorcycle one would, you would have to run additives to stop the corrosion.
nigger your computer isnt going to rust unless you leave in in the rain.
>They are designed specifically to fit into computer cases
a civic radioator is designed to fit specifically in a civic, and its still cheap as fuck, and it uses more materials. Whats your point?
>and use high quality appropriate sized fittings
fucking what
>>
>>961046
I was saying all decent pc cooling radiators are made of copper and brass.
The non conductive liquid used corrodes aluminum radiators.

>>961049
>nigger your computer isnt going to rust unless you leave in in the rain.
>a civic radioator is designed to fit specifically in a civic, and its still cheap as fuck, and it uses more materials. Whats your point?

Are you retarded?
>>
>>961060
are you implying civic radiators are designed to go in f150s?
Where the fuck do you live that your computer is rusting?
>>
>>961064
Let me break this down so even you can understand it.

Motorcycle radiator made of aluminum, mean it corrode inside of radiator with pc cooling fluid.
Motorcycle radiator not fit in computer case easy.
Motorcycle radiator have too big inlet and outlet for PC cooling tubes
Motorcycle radiator hold too much water for waterpump to work
Motorcycle radiator cost same money as PC radiator

Motorcycle radiator not good idea for PC
>>
>>961072
your autism is showing.
Let me brake it down for you
motorcycle radiator costs cheaper
motorcycle radiator uses more materials to make
how can item that needs more material cost less than item that need more material?
computer radiator company fucking autism computer nerd
>>
File: lrs-18476df_6594.jpg (17 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
lrs-18476df_6594.jpg
17 KB, 500x375
>>960960
Use a heater core
they are about $30 new and are the size you will need
>>
File: MCR120-QP.jpg (10 KB, 200x269) Image search: [Google]
MCR120-QP.jpg
10 KB, 200x269
>>961111
Single 120mm radiators cost about 30$ too.
Im really not seeing a reason to rig everything up when you can stick to the standard stuff.
>>
Just dump it in cooking oil and run it in that. The only time I ever overheated my Pi was when I left it running on a windowsill overnight and forgot about what would happen in the morning when the sun hit it.
>>
If you are using mixed metals (Fe, Cu and/or Al), use a corrosion inhibitor for central heating systems which you should be able to pick up from a hardware/tool/diy store.

alternatively 350ppm of each of molybdate + nitrite + nitrate as well as 50ppm of (benzo/toly)triazole should have you covered for a mixed metal system.

Ideally, if at all possible you should use all components from the same metal as then you only have to worry about corrosion from dissolved oxygen in your fill water rather than galvanic couples.
>>
File: tumblr_nirou7Y2JX1s43eg2o1_500.jpg (69 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nirou7Y2JX1s43eg2o1_500.jpg
69 KB, 500x281
>>960960
>>961049
>>961064
>>961075
>>
so why wouldn't someone just use an oil instead of water?
>>
File: gunked400.jpg (25 KB, 400x261) Image search: [Google]
gunked400.jpg
25 KB, 400x261
>>961049
>your computer isn't going to rust.
Six months
http://www.dansdata.com/burning.htm
>>
>>961192
Oil catches on fire and water doesnt
>>
File: sad cat.jpg (42 KB, 505x490) Image search: [Google]
sad cat.jpg
42 KB, 505x490
>>961049
>nigger your computer isnt going to rust unless you leave in in the rain.

Mixing metals and electrolytes (read: water) tends to result in galvanic corrosion. This is why some nicer water blocks are gold plated.

I completely destroyed a rather nice water block I got for a steal off of eBay (missing the CPU bracket but I have tools and didn't give a fuck) because I got my radiators mixed up and used the aluminum one with the copper block.

Few months later I notice strangely high temperatures, take the thing apart, and find that the inside of the water block is almost completely clogged and half of the tiny fins have been turned to grunge.

Pretty much exactly like >>961194. Don't mix metals in your coolant loops, kids.
>>
>>961192
>>961279
Some do use oil.
>>
>>961192

Do you mean in a coolant loop or just flooding all over everything?

If you mean flooded, that's a thing. People fill fish tanks or whatever with mineral oil and just dunk everything in it. Downside is, obviously, working on it is a massive pain and mineral oil hardens PVC over time to the point of it crumbling into nothing.

If you mean in a loop instead of water, then that's also a thing, But oil doesn't work as well as water, so most just opt to use compatible components to start with.
>>
>>961279
Mineral oil ignites at 200-400F I think if you're computer is that hot you already have other problems.
>>
>>961192
Because water is a phenomenal coolant, while oil is not.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-heat-fluids-d_151.html
>>
>>960796
first im against watercooling in all forms for computer parts, it is just not worth the hassle over air, ever. i come at this from a fully custom watercooled computer prospective, the 6 month - yearly cleaning due to no mater what you do, shit builds up... that isn't fun, needing to put everything together perfect, is not fun, dealing with the gpu is not fun, checking for leaks and hoping nothing fries is not fun.

and a personal favorite, the water pump is so quiet that when it fails and isn't working, you don't hear it so the parts can heat up real damn quick, fast enough for a fail safe to not trip.

the best air coolers you can get for a computer can match watercooling or come close enough that you hit reasonable silicon limits before you hit thermal ones. and as for gpus, its cheaper to get one with a good air cooler then get the crappiest air cooler and put on a watercooler.

not to mention aircooling is a dust the crap every now and then afair, not a "oh shit, did i re assemble everything right deal"

assuming you are just doing it with a pi to be fun, then just keep in mind, even with no heat sync the pi runs into issues due to clock before it does due to heat, at least as long as you have it open air or a way to make air flow.

>>961112
any decent computer case you can run tubing out of it and back in, no need to rig shit if you take advantage of this.

>>960960
>>
>>961573
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorinert
>>
>>960943
Go to a local junkyard and pull a heater core.
>>
>>961626
It is best used for overclocking.

>>961981
It will simply fail.
>>
>>961626
>fast enough for a fail safe to not trip.

This isnt true
Run a PC under load without your CPU cooler on and it will run a while without hitting the failsafes.

The simple fact that there is a cooling block on it will dissipate heat fast enough that the heat slowly builds and hit the failsafes.

Im not sure that what you are saying ever does actually happen, you would have to be under a huge load and then rip the block off and hope the failsafes didnt work
>>
>>961662
Fluorocarbons =/= oil.
>>
>>961991
even then, air and water is usually limited by when errors start popping up before it's a heat issue.

the cpus that hit those insane liquid nitrogen clock are bined like a mother fucker before they even go into the oc phase.

>>961994
last time i saw someone dumb enough to do that, they got the tell tale black smoke of a fried chip before a fail safe tripped.

i know fail safe on my computer requires a few seconds of max or above max temp to trip it. the cpu and gpu blocks, while they may be more dense have far less surface area and far less air flow to ease it into tripping that fail safe.

>>960960
4chan ate my comment.
no, a proper computer radiator will fit into standard rad solutions, and because water cooling is a very small niche to begin with the cost is up for that reason.
>>
>>962645
>last time i saw someone dumb enough to do that, they got the tell tale black smoke of a fried chip before a fail safe tripped.

When was that?
1998?

Your anecdotal evidence doesnt hold water. The failsafes were pretty rock solid a decade ago with socket 775s. Nobody is going to convince me that they suddenly became shit in 2016
>>
>>962645
>last time i saw someone dumb enough to do that, they got the tell tale black smoke of a fried chip before a fail safe tripped.

The last time I ever heard of this happening, it could only ever happen to AMD chips that came bare with no integrated heat spreader. Which was...I don't even know how long ago at this point. 10 years, maybe?
>>
>>961048
http://www.overclock.net/t/1404207/extreme-cooled-raspberry-pi
>>
>>962763
It wasn't because they had no integrated heat spreader, it was because they had no integrated overheat protection, and relied on the BIOS in SMM to notice that they'd overheated and turn them off.

The contemporaneous Intel Pentium III was also a bare flipchip, but it had its own thermal protection in hardware, and could be run indefinitely with the heatsink removed.

Back in the day, I serviced a PIII that was "really slow", and "really noisy": it turns out the heatsink had detached entirely, and the user was just putting up with it. Reattaching the heatsink immediately fixed the noise and performance problems, and allowed the user to put documents down by the PC again, without them getting blown off the desk.
>>
Back again after a few days, amazed to see the thread still alive! I love the input and really am not afraid to accidentally fry the little thing, it really is for the fun of doing it and the aesthetic of the final product.

That being said, I just got my Pi and am ready to start buying tubing. One anon said use a heat gun to bend the acrylic tubing so that's my current plan of action. Still not sure on the pump because I don't want it to be obnoxiously big or loud. Ideally it'll sit on my desk in a 3D printed case with the tubing going in and out of it, then the radiator+pump next to that. Not really sure still on how I want it all to come together.

Suggestions on overall setup? Horizontal vs vertical? Distance from the radiator?
>>
>>960960
Instead of replying to everything everyone said to this comment.

holy shit most of y'all are complete morons.

>aluminum radiator exactly the same size as a "Store bought PC ONLY radiator" is gonna RUST MUH CPU! [its oxidize btw.]

>aluminum radiator wont cool my PC because I need a dedicated PC radiator I paid too much for, to spread my fancy PC juice across a larger surface area and through the use of convection.
>>
>>963094
I suggest you read through the posts again, maybe a little closer this time.

Motorcycle radiator man is the only one bringing up "rust" because he clearly lacked any reading comprehension.
Its been made clear that PC specific radiators are the same price, or even cheaper than the automotive radiators.
And it was explained very well why you dont use an aluminum radiator, and how it will ruin the blocks and the radiator.

Nobody said it was impossible, everyone was just telling the retard why his idea was stupid.
>>
>>963106
To be fair, the corrosion of mismatched metals can be mitigated with water additivies.
>>
>>963110
Sure it can, and it may even be worth doing if the PC radiators were very expensive and the others were dirt cheap.

But that isnt reality. The cost is the same.
Nobody in their right mind would ever do it, running extra additives and having to rig it up somewhere outside of the case?

The whole reason motorcycle man even brought it up in the first place was cost, and he was just sorely mistaken about it.
>>
>>963114
Quite.

It was a thing back when enthusiasts were just getting into overclocking and like hardocp did up an article on milling your own water block and grabbing the cheapest heat exchanger you can at the junk yard because back then they actually didn't exist.

I just got a complete kit for $90 because I need it for my amd-fuck-you processor. Seemed like a fine price to me. That's a banging pump and waterblock integrated and some coolant shit I don't need to worry about for years because the chinaman made sure it was in there good and tight.
>>
>>962647
the most recent video is the sandy bridge line from intel, granted i only see these from threads people make about stupid shit people do to break computers.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.