[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I weld. I also have a ring on my finger. I once heard that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6
File: ring.jpg (19 KB, 209x198) Image search: [Google]
ring.jpg
19 KB, 209x198
So I weld. I also have a ring on my finger. I once heard that wearing circular jewelry may act as a spool when you get electrified. When it does it burns your fingers of. Any of you guys know if this is true?
>>
>>955898
I think it was my dad who said that. Don't know for shure.
>>
>>955901
Guys?
>>
>>955898
if you wear a ring you open yourself to many issues
if you ever rubbed wires together in school to make sparks you know that the wires stick to each other
if a wire brushes you you get a shock, if it touches your ring it may stick, even if it doesn't weld, more on that later.

during a shock the ring has good contact with the entire circumference of your finger and provides a much greater surface area for current to flow. your skin is the only real resistance you have, once the electric is inside you its easy going so reducing your effective resistance by increasing surface area is a bad idea.

if there is enough current your ring will heat up very quickly. if that current goes through you then tough shit your probably fucked anyway, but if your ring causes a short without you in the circuit it will burn you pretty bad, and once its red hot consider what you will do, you cant take it off because its red hot and probably stuck to your skin, so unless you can find a bucket of water to dunk into you just have to scream and bare it.

if you are welding its high current, if you had your hand on the ground and brushed your ring with a live tip you will not be a happy bunny

at school i had a tech teacher who always tucked in his tie when he took a class in the workshop. but he never operated any machinery himself without taking it off.
>>
File: autotjes.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
autotjes.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>955911
Thank you so much. I worked with a CNC-mill and never wore baggy clothes or wool. If a thread of wool gets caught in the spindle you are fucked. So my old pops was kinda right.

Thank you again.
>>
don't wear jewelry?
>>
>>955898
If you do any welding, you really should take it off.

If its a wedding ring, tell your significant others that its better than being dead.
>>
>>955933
>better than being dead.
best case you just won't have a finger to wear it on
>>
File: lef.webm (3 MB, 1088x612) Image search: [Google]
lef.webm
3 MB, 1088x612
>>955933
Unless you are maried to a behemoth that sucks the life out of you. Then this is quicker.
>>
>>955936
Yes, but your mom just gives head like a pro. So it's worth it.
>>
Welded for over a year after high school with my class ring on. Had no problems. Other guys wore there wedding rings.
>>
>>955964
sometimes i drive my car without wearing my seatbelt. don't see what the big deal is it doesn't make a difference at all.
>>
Rings don't belong at work I've seen a few people skin fingers to the bone after they get caught ever notice how many tradie wear there ring on a chain around there nexk
>>
My shop teacher once told me about her shop teacher who had a ring permanently melted into his finger from welding with it on
>>
>>955898

If you really need/want to use a ring, just get one of these.

http://qalo.com/collections/rings
>>
>>955898
>act as a spool
???

as long as you are wearing your PPE there shouldn't be a problem
thick leather gloves are standard when welding. If you need the sensitivity they make thinner fireproof gloves.
If you don't wear gloves or for some reason the glove is penetrated and you pass the full current of the welder thru the ring you will most likely lose the finger due to having burnt it to the bone all the way around.

My grandfather had a nasty scar on the inside of his left wrist from shorting a steel wristwatch band out between the positive battery post and the car frame. It burnt that steel watchband in two and left a deep burn on his wrist that took months to heal.

Common sense anon.
Do not wear conductive jewelry when working around electricity.
when working on high voltage I always put my wedding band in my pocket
>>
>>956075
That is really gay.
>>
>>955898
As far as i know if the current gets to the ring it will burn your finger off. current makes heat and since the ring is metal well you can work the rest out.

Just put it in your pocket
>>
>>956069

>this story

All I can do is sigh when I hear shit like this.
>>
>>955898

>welding with jewelry

not even once. I don't know why so many guys keep it on in the shop.
>>
>>956002

that's not better desu
>>
>>955898
At a temp job where there were moving live, high amperage contacts, one guy I know got his chain (he was a typical wngster type) caught by both contacts.
He wass told many time not to wear it.

We all called him joker because he had a scar of that chain across his face in the corners of his mouth where the chain burned him before it snapped.
>>
Jewelry goes off in all industrial environments and professional kitchens. More because it's the professional way to do it than any actual high risk.

With bad sight comes another thing to consider, glasses makes it harder to wear safety glares but contacts are a big no if there's risk of getting chemicals in your eyes.
>>
torch welding, and more particularly using a cutting torch / plasma, produces flying molten metal particles, which can easily get caught behind jewelry causing severe burns as the metal seeps into the flesh.
These particles can also land in shirt pockets, where they have come in contact with plastic disposable lighters causing them to explode.

They frequently end up in the tongue and laces area of shoes, where they burn into the top of your foot faster than you can remove your shoes.

Or they can go down your shirt, get caught in your bra or collect around your waistband causing burns.

Of course all of this is assuming they did not end up in your eyes, hair, or ears.

Always wear protection, and follow safety instructions.
>>
>>955898
>So I weld
If you worked at my facility and wore any jewelry once you would be
>pulled off the floor
>written up
>get your ass and the ass of your union rep chewed out by me
>reassigned safety training materials
>complete safety assesment test
>if it happened again after that: summary termination.

In short you're a god damn moron for wearing anything other than your clothing and leathers
>>
>>955898
Rings are a bad idea in any shop setting. Welding may have its own risks, but if you get your hand smacked, it can start to swell up. Then you have to get rings (and other jewelry) off fast or risk permanent tissue damage.

A note on silly shit like titanium rings: just don't. Hospitals usually have site cutters they can use to clip gold and silver rings off that can't be slipped over a swollen knuckle. But not hard metals. A guy was brought in a few years ago following a bicycle accident with a swelling hand and a titanium ring. The ER docs were lucky enough to notice it and call the fire dept people back in (who were hanging hitting on the nursing staff, no doubt) with a small carbide cutting wheel they had on their truck. Or the guy would have lost his finger.
>>
>>956227
Prescription inserts.
Expensive but a good pair matched up with good safety glasses are god tier.
>>
File: IMG_20160304_134357.jpg (336 KB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160304_134357.jpg
336 KB, 1920x2560
>jewelry ever

Pic related is the scar from my wedding ring after it got caught on the clamp of a masts shroud (sail boat) as I was using the shroud to guide me down as I hopped off onto the dock.

Luckily the clamp was only a little taller than me off the dock but it still yanked and the boat was rising with the wave action, started to lift me and I had to jump and grab the hull to prevent my whole weight being pulled on the finger.

As it settled the ring just slotted out and I had to spend the rest of the trip with a sharp bent up ring as I could not take it off.

Wife wants me to repair it and put it back on but fuck that. I spend too much time working with shit both at work and in my spare time that I would loose hours taking off and putting that thing on.

I was fucking lucky. Not chancing that again.
>>
>>956315
my ring got caught on something one time and damn near took my finger off. that was it for me, divorced that slut and never again.

notevenonce.jpg
>>
>>956302
Titanium isn't very hard, though. The hospital didn't have bolt cutters?
>>
>>955924
wtf, cars are supposed to go forward not sideways.
>>
>>956002
Silicone rings are a good compromise. They'll tear before you do.
>>
File: 1421559515811.jpg (109 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
1421559515811.jpg
109 KB, 1280x853
>>956440
[citation needed]
>>
>>955933
>married
>better than being dead
It's about the same actually
>>
>>956260
This board is called /diy/ for a reason.
>>
>>956413
>bolt cutters
>that fit between the ring and a swollen broken finger
But yeah, the thin ones that will snip off gold or silver from the side, won't work on steel or titanium etc.

Also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CztT_pBFQv8
At this point, I'll get a tattoo'd on ring before a regular one.

Also, i found an interesting argument regarding 4chan's general opinion towards marriage:
http://www.stickmanweekly.com/ReadersSubmissions2009/reader5546.htm
tldr: Briffault's law says that females base association with a male on current and future benefit to them and their children, not past benefit or loyalty.
"If you know going in that she is there to derive a benefit, then make sure you are willing and able to provide that benefit, that you are willing and able to continue to provide that benefit, and that the cost to you of providing that benefit is worth the benefit you derive from the association. Be fully aware that when the benefit to her stops, the relationship will stop. Have no illusions. This is true in the UK, France, America, Thailand, and everywhere else. So, if you spend every dime in your retirement fund to build her and/or her mother a house (in her name of course), do not expect that the association will continue."

While this, like all generalizations, is not true for all women, or likely the majority of women, it is true for enough to explain a LOT of shitty stories I've heard of.
>>
so many dipshits in here. you guys ever hear about gloves?
>>
RIngs make nice resistance heaters and ring safety posters are no joke. As a welder you aren't going to be striking an arc on your ring through welding gloves, but rings can deglove fingers if they get caught. Fabrication and fitting is more a hazard.

Jewelry in a workshop environment is fucking stupid and ZERO reason exists to wear jewelry at work. I never wore even a wedding ring, and my wife (RIP) understood because she degloved a finger working on a helicopter. (We met in the Air Force.)

>Wife wants me to repair it and put it back on but fuck that. I spend too much time working with shit both at work and in my spare time that I would loose hours taking off and putting that thing on.

Same here. Marriages do not require jewelry, they require hard work, kindness, understanding and dedication. I was married to the love of my life for 24 years and we lived a seriously DIY lifestyle. She was a skilled mechanic, very good at autobody and painting (fortunate because I've no artistic talent) and did most of our home renovations. We both wrenched anything with an engine. I still ride her '82 Shovelhead she put over 150,000 miles on. We fixed/repaired/modified almost everything we owned. Wiring, roofing, carpentry, whatever. The absurd amount of money we saved paid for industrial quality gear and DIY helped us pay off our mortgages early.

She's gone but I will DIY til the day I die.

Play safe, wear your PPE (especially face shields, I even use them for Dremel work), and take your time. IMO one of the nastiest hazards in welding is flat knotted wire wheels. They are some flesh-eating motherfuckers.

Avoid loose clothing when using an angle grinder, stay aware of the wheels plane of rotation (they don't come apart often but it does happen), and don't force it. Let your rock, cutting disk or wire brush float on the work rather than lugging it down.
>>
>>956666
Quads is wise.
There is no reason to not wear gloves when welding.

Even when grinding OSHA actually recommends gloves, since both hands are supposed to be on the angle grinder's grips.
>>
>>956227
>>956309
>inserts
godtier is prescription saftey glasses
love this shit
fucking ansi spec
>>
>>956676
Sorry for your loss, anon.
>>
>>957532
Personally I prefer a good set of inserts, that way if the safety glasses get scratched my anus doesn't clench as hard since I can just put my $80 inserts in a new pair.
>>
>>956260
That's nice, dear.

Now what about the rest of us who DON'T have supers who care about HES protocol? I can't count how many times I've had to beg for safety equipment in every kind of manual labour job...

So yeah, actually unironically good on you and kudos for running a tight ship.
>>
happened to my dad when he was welding on a fence for a friend. his ring contacted the fence and he got a pretty bad electrical burn.
>>
>>956088
>put it in your pocket

If you're gonna take it off why not just not bring it then there's 0% instead of 15%
>>
>>955898
Wear always only necessary things. They may touch unwanted things, get stuck, fall off and distract you and in case you are rendered incapable (knocked out, burned etc.) they will be one more thing to be removed from you and time is precious in those times.
>>
>>955898
I've spoken to two people one was my dad another was a maintenance man at my old college.
I remember asking my dad why he didn't wear his wedding ring and he told me his welder arced through the ring and burnt him.
The maintenance worker was in a switch board and was blown off his ladder because his wedding ring did something similar.
Gold is the best conductor of electricity.
>>
>>956467
>worst girl
nah
>>
>>956315
Put it on a chain and Wear it on your neck?
>>
>>959545
Neckwear is also pretty iffy. I've considered wearing something on my upper arm, but I worry about any amount of dangling from the neck.

Pocket works well. Glovebox of your car might also be a reasonable choice. Can't let your line of work define your lifestyle when it doesn't have to. Keep a ring (for) when it matters.
>>
>>955898
Don't wear jewelry on the job. It can create many issues you don't want to deal with. There is a reason safety classes always say to leave the stuff out of the work zone.

That said if you really insist on wearing a ring, [which I strongly advise against], search for work safe rings. They make some with medical grade silicone and non-conductive durable ceramic rings designed to quickly shatter if emergency personnel need to remove it.
>>
if your significant other cant or wont recognize that your ability to provide (for yourself and or them) is more valuable than sentimental metal that wont cross your mind twice a day, they shouldnt stay very significant.
>>
I've read somewhere that wrapping tape around a ring when working with electricity protects you but I've never been smart enough to figure out why. Anybody know?
>>
>>959414
>tfw you don't know platinum exists
>>
File: degloving.jpg (84 KB, 736x981) Image search: [Google]
degloving.jpg
84 KB, 736x981
enjoy your degloving
>>
>>960931

Boy o boy been there done that...and still I hate it every time it happens...
>>
>>955898

I'd say no to wearing a ring with any form of construction work. I was helping my old man out on a building site at about 16 and he dropped a plank of wood on his. Ring crushed his finger quite badly (as the wood would have done too) but as we were a while away from medical aid, by the time we got to help the just amputated.

I had many fights with my wife about me not wearing my wedding ing but fuck that.
>>
>>956676
>stay aware of the wheels plane of rotation
this, had a friend who took a wheel to the femoral after it shattered. He had to crawl 100 feet while bleeding out to call an ambulance
>>
>>956302
>mfw tungsten wedding band
If it ever needs to be off in a hurry, just tap it with a hammer until it breaks.
>>
>>959571

>Can't let your line of work define your lifestyle.

Work is a big part of everyone's lifestyle. It takes up 1/3 of your day and to be at least reasonably efficient at it you need to have a certain mindset.

Particularly where you value life and leave your jewelry at home if it has the potential to kill you.
>>
>>961067

I had one.

Was driving a steel stake into the ground holding it steady with my left hand whacking it with a steel mallet.

After a couple of whacks I just hear a "TING" and check the hammer and stake. Nothing.

While finishing the drive I notice a tan line. Where is the ring?

No trace.

2spoopy
>>
>>960986
>I had many fights with my wife about me not wearing my wedding ing but fuck that.
wear on a chain round your neck like Frodo
>>
>>956315
Fucking women are irrational about rings. Cunts. Would they still love you if you had a degloved hand? I don't fucking think so.
>>
>>960957
Please elaborate
>>
>>961233
>Fucking women are irrational
ftfy
>>
>>955898
if you accidentally arc to it I guess this could happen.
>>
>>955924
this shit is goober. You can pull some amazing shit with awd rc cars at very high speeds. Bunch of no talent japs.
>>
>>955924
>I worked with a CNC-mill and never wore baggy clothes or wool. If a thread of wool gets caught in the spindle you are fucked

This brings up terrible memories of highschool metal shop.

My first day I had to pull some kids arm out of the lathe, he wore one of the torn up shop class jackets and got his sleeve caught in the spindle.

Thankfully old man shop teacher taught me a trick after that: He keeps the belt tensioner only partly engaged, so it will slip before ripping limbs off.
>>
>>955898
I'm a professional welder. I take off all jewelry when welding because I have seen people get very serious burns whille being carless about wearing proper ppe. I have gauged ears also and wear silicon tunnels while at work. Some unions actually require you to remove jewelry on job sites.
>>
>>961436
tunnels are a snag hazard, i'd wear plugs
>>
>>961233
Im the safety officer that posted above:>>956260

When I got married my wife would have a bitch fit because I wouldnt wear my ring all the time.

Found about a couple hundred work injury photos from degloving to mangled hamburger wrapped around a lathe. "You look at each and every one of those photos and tell me you still want me to risk life and limb."

I dont think women understand how destructive industrial equipment can be and only frame their opinions around their own sentimentality. i.e. 'the only reason he doesn't want to wear his ring is because he's cheating on me'

I've even had wives of employees come to me bitching that I "won't let their husbands wear their rings." Two of them even threw up when I showed them the work injury photos.

They're driven by irrational logic born from ignorance about the real dangers their husbands put themselves into on a daily basis to care for them and their five year old meal ticket.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.