[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I asked this to /g/ and they sent me here. I am currently making
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8
File: foam-acoustic-panels.jpg (61 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
foam-acoustic-panels.jpg
61 KB, 400x400
I asked this to /g/ and they sent me here. I am currently making a budget studio setup. What is the best site to buy soundproofing foam panels? Like best price per piece? I assume the Chinese no-brand is just as effective since it's just foam. Or, if this is possible, is there a cheap alternative material at home improvement stores?
>>
File: bat-fiberglass.jpg (590 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
bat-fiberglass.jpg
590 KB, 900x900
>>959993
acoustic tiles are notoriously expensive, for some dumb fucking reason.

if you can get yourself some rolls of fiberglass heat insulation all you have to do is put it into frames and then put fabric or grillcloth over the outside to make it look nice.

also, some brands have foil on one side, for high frequency absorption you want the foil against the wall, but for low frequency absorption you want the foil on the outisde toward the room. you can alternate or whatever, or use the low Hz version more in the corners, etc.

it's not absolute dirt cheep but it's still like 1/6 the price of the market shit. and way more fun because it's /diy/ and it'll be of your own design
>>
>>959994
Think foam gym matts would work or too densely packed to absorb?
>>
File: open_cell.png (16 KB, 646x399) Image search: [Google]
open_cell.png
16 KB, 646x399
>>959998
probably too dense, but not necessarily. it's important to understand that closed cell foam isn't acoustically valuable. you need open cell foam. if the gym mat foam is open-cell, it'll work!

>how to tell
pour water on it, if the water works its way through it's open cell! be careful not to be tricked by holes and seams though
>>
>>960000
why are you naked
>>
>>960000
Its open cell actually and cheap.
>>
File: happy Zeuooster.jpg (43 KB, 485x490) Image search: [Google]
happy Zeuooster.jpg
43 KB, 485x490
>>960000
>Quads
>4chan-quality OC
>Now with 100% less pants!
>>
File: 1393064693305.jpg (109 KB, 581x635) Image search: [Google]
1393064693305.jpg
109 KB, 581x635
this is kinda related to im gonna hijack instead of starting a new thread.

How can i sound proof around very hot recessed lighting in the roof?

My living situation is a bit difficult to explain but, I'm 19 living with my parents and basically im living in a room under our house which is on a hill so not a basment. It is connected but kinda not so its closer to independence for me. To get to the room you go out the back deck downstairs and there is is. This room wasnt intended to be lived in it was more for entertaining or some shit, its weird i havent seen something designed like this before. So ive been sealing up all the gaps and stuff around windows/ doors for a few days but there are sound issues.
I want to have friends round watch tv listen to music and shit till late, but Mum and Dads bedroom and living room is right above. Last night after i turned the tv off i heard something i should never hear from them.
The current sound situation sucks i can hear them talk not make out words but hear it and they can hear my music and all that.
Are there any simple solutions to this? hell id hang shag carpet from the roof if it wouldnt cause a fire
>>
Related, I'm trying to throw raves in my warehouse that go all night but whenever we're jamming or have shows here the neighbors call the cops who shut us down if we go past the 10:30 noise curfew. Is there a method of soundproofing that actually works and is cheap?
>>
>>959993
Those foam panels DO NOT SOUNDPROOF. Their purpose in a studio is to reduce echo within the room.
>>
>>960102
I heard The Station nightclub had a good sound proof set up

https://youtu.be/OOzfq9Egxeo
>>
>>959993
Studios are rooms within rooms - essentially floating rooms. You won't get isolation by putting up acoustic panels, those are used to tame things like flutter echo, room modes, standing waves and other acoustical properties.

For isolation you need to decouple the room from the rest of the house. You can see youtube videos of people doing this.

>>960044
That's a tough one. You probably need to really take a deep look at where the sound is actually coming through. It could be holes cut for electrical and pipes, or just not enough insulation, etc. For the hot lights you can always change them to LED. But yeah you probably need to seal a bunch of holes and insulate to get reasonable isolation, but not complete. Maybe enough to stop voices but not blasting music or blaring TV.

>>960102
No, not cheap. And don't be a shitty neighbor, you should test your sound levels outside your warehouse to make sure you aren't being a nigger.
>>
>>960012
I'm not naked, that's op. What do you think I'm doing all this work for him? HA
>>
Hell, when I used to do in studio productions I just put up blankets n shit, it worked just fine. I put up my comforter on the wall in front of me, and pillows on the door.
>>
>>960044
Maybe not use that light to stay up so late. If you can afford to drop $100 you can buy 4 of these http://www.amazon.com/Ikea-101-398-79-69-Inch-Floor-Uplight/dp/B00R3LQW42/ref=lp_1063294_1_1?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1457766304&sr=1-1 I have these and the light up the area really well.
>>
File: diy-home-soundproofing3.jpg (322 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
diy-home-soundproofing3.jpg
322 KB, 600x450
>>959993
>>960108 Like this anon said.

Soundproofing can mean one of two thins:
Soundblocking = blocking sound from leaving/entering a room
Sound absorption = Making a room more acoustically neutral

Anyway, I came to /diy/ to ask the same question.
I want to pad my room with some sound dampening material that looks good. The main purpose being enabling myself to be louder without disturbing more people.
>>
>>960678 cont.
More specifically, I'm wondering if hanging something like this on the wall I'm facing helps at all with reducing the amount of noise coming out of my room. I understand that it can still hit all the walls and travel through the house but one would expect it to muffle it at least a little bit.
>>
>>960102
>raves
Are you literally 16?
>>
>>960557
>comforter

Are you 4 years old?
>>
File: SecurityBlanket.gif (20 KB, 330x324) Image search: [Google]
SecurityBlanket.gif
20 KB, 330x324
>>960735
stoppit :[
>>
Budget shit like moving blankets work out ok. Like $10 a piece at harbor freight or northern tools.

You can buy some cheap telescopic mic stands and use them to hold the blankets tho create little portable sound isolation booths too.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.