[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'd like to become a hermit but am a Type 1 insulin dependent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
I'd like to become a hermit but am a Type 1 insulin dependent diabetic.

Could anyone talk me through how I'd go about harvesting various animal's pancreases and making them into something that I could inject? It won't be as good as pharmaceutical, I know, but you can only stockpile so much of that stuff and it needs to be kept in a fridge anyway.

Or if anyone has any other ideas about how I could get around the problem of needing insulin, would love to hear.
>>
If your type one, your done for. Just hope that when it all goes out of date it still works XD
>>
I discovered I'm type 1 when I tried to go hermit...
https://hackaday.com/2015/07/30/the-biohacking-movement-and-open-source-insulin/
>>
>>953908
you would need about 1 pig/cow a day man, this may fuck you up because of immune reactions.

This is not doable, the only way it would be possible is if you would get your hands on the genetically "enhanced" yeasts or bacteria that make the insulin precursor and do the rest of the chemistry in your cave/hut/forest/bunker/basement.
Since insulin is a protein it wil denature if heated ,exposed to light, radiation, an acid, base or an organic solvent.
For insulin the denaturing temperature is about 70°C.(1) This poses a serious problem for DIY jobs since you can not sterilize it before injection. Almost all sterilization methods will destroy the insulin.

I am pretty sure that you will kill yourself if you try DIY insulin. DIY penicillin may work but DIY insulin is a lot harder.

1: "Thermal dissociation and unfolding of insulin." Huus K, Havelund S, Olsen HB, van de Weert M, Frokjaer S.
>>
>>953929
Interesting read, cheers
>>953933
Hm just as I feared, thanks for reply though, and reference
>>
>>953908
I'd suggest you get some training and experience as a lab assistant before trying to produce bacteria derived substances at your home which you aim to inject straight into your bloodstream. Sepsis has around 80% fatality rate for young, healthy white men without proper medicine.
>>
>>953908
Steal a yeast culture from the Lilly manufacturing plant.
Learn basic biology to be able to process and dilute the resulting insulin.
>>
Another hermit wannabe with type-1 reporting in. This thread might not just be a coincidence, there might be some correlation between being diabetic and wanting to be a hermit. Are we predisposed to this stuff or what?
>>
>>954291
Insulin lasts a long time when stored correctly, it should be possible for you to have it supplied to you twice a year, i cant really think of a place on earth so remote that that would be impossible.
>>
>>953908

People with type 1 diabetes aren't meant to survive in the "natural" world.

Passing on diabeedus genes is also really not nice to the kids.
>>
>>954291
You fat fucks have awful diets and genes
>>
>>954296

Millions of people had shitty lives before us. No need to stop now.
>>
>>954291
50% of all autistics develop diabetes. Autists are know for their solitary lives so maybe.
>>
Well I've had type 1 since I was 16. There is no way to get good blood sugar control to manage the disease without modern tech. You could theoretically survive off home brew bovine/ pig insulin, as long as you ate basically a carbless diet and got good amounts of exercise. The only problem is, you would never know what you're blood sugar is, and how to compensate with the insulin. It would also require huge amounts of insulin due the purity if you've had the disease for a long time, or have any insulin resistance. The amount might not even be feasible to make. So basically you would have no way of dosing you're insulin even through trial and error. Because one seriously low blood sugar without a glucogon kit would kill you. Not to mention the fact that needles break and are finite and need to be sterilized. Idk man you could like maybe a few years at best doing this. Me personally I'm just gonna max out my pump and OD on insulin if society breaks down. Rather die comfy.
>>
>>953908
Evolution kills people like you for a reason, you're fucked so thank modern society, and keep living the same depressing life
>>
>>954296
>>954458
Type 1 is actually rare as far as genetic diseases are concerned and isn't caused by diet.

Insulin dependent type 2, which is often mislabeled as type 1, is, however. Don't be fooled, some fat fucks caused their own condition.

Most Type 1 parents only give their child a 10% chance to develop type one, make that 20% if both parents have type 1.

I got type one from an auto-immune disorder on my 3rd birthday
>>954475
I did that on accident and nearly died when I was 7, I don't remember much before the blackout, but what I do remember was it was rather unpleasant and not peaceful, not nearly so as you would think.
Also with the proper biological and chemical knowledge, insulin is rather easy to make, measure, and purify compared to many other compounds.
The trick is getting the yeast.

>>954477
I believe you mean type 2, because they typically weigh 280-450lbs.
Most type 1 diabetics I know are actually pretty active people.
That being said, yes, in the event that everything goes to shit type 1 diabetics would die within about 2-4 days after running out of insulin.
Which makes seizing the lilly plant in Indiana and becoming the beetus version of Immortan Joe a possiblilty.

also >>>/pol/ is over there darwinboy.
>>
File: Immortan Joe.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Immortan Joe.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
>>954486
forgot pic
>>
>>954475
I am sorry but i need to correct you here mate. what you are saying is partially correct but also very wrong.

The danger with type 1 diabetes is that you are unable to absorb glucose into your cells with glut-4 transporters since they need insulin to activate.
This results in:

1)A surplus of glucose in the blood. This is not a big problem for a hermit since the amount of high glucose/starchy foods can be limited and the sugars in urin can be measured to adjust your diet. This means you will have a slightly elevated blood sugar but this will take years to wreck your veins and kidneys.

2)No production of glycogen, this is the big problem. You will have NO easy energy storage. while normal people have about 12 hours worth of energy from their glycogen stored in the liver you will have none. This means that you need to burn fat or muscle to create sugar to get energy or you would die in your sleep. It is pretty hard for a human to create enough fat when you can not get all that sugar to your liver. You will die within months of starvation while your body is slowly deconstructing itself to keep you alive.

Why do you think unexplained weight loss, weakness and fatigue are symptoms of type 1 diabetes
A carbless diet and got good amounts of exercise wil only speed this process up so you will die faster.
>>
diy insulin synthesis. College level ochem.
http://www.doomandbloom.net/how-to-make-insulin/
>>
>>955940
>A carbless diet ....will only speed this process up so you will die faster.

Hyperglycemia is a much worse problem than you realize. If someone with Type 1 diabetes goes a couple days without insulin and eating a normal amount of carbohydrates their glucose can get to 50 mmol/L or higher. This is much worse than the hyperglycemia common with type 2 diabetics (~12 mmol/L).

Someone with a blood sugar of 50 mmol/L will be vomiting constantly, barely able to stay conscious, and they'll die of dehydration in a few hours without access to large amounts of water. If the hermit passes into a hyperglycemic coma he's not waking up.
>>
Simple. Ketogenic Diet - No carbohydrates, eliminates need for insulin. You'll probably regain some insulin response in the process. Also your body will get hard as fuck and YOU'RE NEVER HUNGRY.
>>
File: Glycemic-index.jpg (518 KB, 2030x1078) Image search: [Google]
Glycemic-index.jpg
518 KB, 2030x1078
>>956518
No.

> You'll probably regain some insulin response in the process.
A type 1 diabetic's problem isn't that they have low insulin response. It's that their body does not produce any insulin. Their inslet cells have been completely destroyed by an auto-immune reaction.

> Ketogenic Diet - No carbohydrates
Carbohydrates produce a large amount of glucose when digested, but all foods do that to some extent. A Ketogenic diet reduces the amount of insulin a Type 1 diabetic needs, but it can't bring it down to zero. All food contains some glucose.
>>
Look the whole hermit idea is just not going to happen. And it's a silly idea anyway. Running away from everything is not going to do you any good. Accept the fact that you are dependent on insulin which means that you are dependant on having a supply of the real thing.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.