[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fakeulus Rift
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8
I want to build myself a VR headset, and Im wondering which of the many ways to do this is best. Right now Im thinking that copying OpenVR with a better screen would be the easiest, as Vireo Perception works pretty well and all the software is ready to go. On the other hand, it is possible to clone a legit Oculus Rift by using that one ARM board and doing some black magic with EEPROMs, though I dont know if it will be worth having something that will work with stuff designed for the OR in the long run when it's just a fake dev kit 1. Anyone ever attempted this before?
>>
>>950977
why the fuck isnt there open source virtual reality yet?
>two screens
>two lenses
>two game cameras that view things from a slightly different location
>bool accelerometer = is_accelerometer_present();
>if(accelerometer) do_motion_things();
>else continue;
>if(gyro)
>if(ir)

the whole damn thing could be customized with as little or as many features as you want.
its outragous that 3d printers have a diy cult following but nobody is doing shit with VR
>>
>>952178
I'd tottaly support an open source VR device.
But to be hosnet, you don't need 2 sceens, just split one, lenses need to be adjustable too. The hard part is getting the motion sensors tuned up. But i figure someone way smarter than me can iplement acelerometers and gyrometers?
The softwere is the easy part. Reverse engi some of the stuff that's out there alredy. Edit it enough to a point where you can relese the shit under an open source license pada bing bada boom
>>
>>950977
China has.
>>
File: 1450932292835.jpg (330 KB, 1006x1269) Image search: [Google]
1450932292835.jpg
330 KB, 1006x1269
>>
How important is stereoscopy, really? Doesn't it really only matter for things right in front of your face?
>>952193
>But to be hosnet, you don't need 2 sceens, just split one
You don't even need to split it, really. A single large collimated display will work just fine for both eyes (that's how my Headplay HDs work). Unless, of course, you're doing stereoscopic 3D, in which case you do need 2 separate displays.
>>952178
>its outragous that 3d printers have a diy cult following but nobody is doing shit with VR
There's a little bit from the RC FPV side of things, but it's not quite on the level you're asking for.
>>
You can get one at Tmart for 20$

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M39pNKcD1bA
>>
>>952204
Amazing.
>>
>>952193
if you are talking about the 3d that you need to go cross eyed to see then fuck that. every time I look at more than two things like that I cant see straight for an hour. I cant imagine the damage that does to your eyes short term, I dont even want to know how much damage it does long term.

2 screens seems like a straight forwards approach but as >>952311
said one screen could work also, though Id recomend a divider of sorts.

Ive never used oculous or any vr, but I imagine a lense would help with focus and tricking the eyes into thinking stuff is farther away than it is. making it adjustable is the easy part. actually I suspect this whole thing is the easy part. I think making it small enough to fit on your face without being front heavy is the hard part.

>rc fpv
dont they focus on just 2d first person, I didnt think they had any focus on 3d
>>
>>952311
>How important is X?
The whole point of this wave of VR is that "presence" (i.e. tricking your brain into really believing it's there) can be achieved. For that a lot of tiny barely noticeable effects have to be done correctly.

All 6 degrees of movment (both moving and rotating in 3 dimensions) have to be tracked without the slightest delay or error accumulation (drift), video performance has to be high (90-120 FPS at minimum constantly, again no delay), and finally stereoscopy has to be done correctly.

The first needs good gyroscopes and good software, the others need really good screens and GPU hardware.

I think Valve published some VR guidelines and research results somewhere. That should give you a start.
>>
>>952352
>dont they focus on just 2d first person, I didnt think they had any focus on 3d
Most of the goggle units are dual-display and some of them support stereoscopy through two different video feeds. Though, most FPV setups place the two cameras far too close together to achieve any significant stereo effect, especially at the distances you're dealing with with FPV. Frankly I think hyperstereoscopy would be the way to go; even though the effects would be exaggerated to unrealistic levels (making the environment seem smaller and closer than it actually is), depth perception and situational awareness would be enhanced.

Though I must say, my Headplays feel far more immersive than any dual-display Fatsharks I've tried (thanks to the wide FOV), and are a lot less problematic in terms of IPD, focus adjustment and spherical aberration largely owing to the single-display configuration. Whereas a set of Fatshark Dominators require -1.25 diopters and a 58mm IPD adjustment for me to wear comfortably (and perhaps a completely different setup for somebody else), my Headplays are pretty much universal and genuinely one-size-fits-all.

>>952356
>For that a lot of tiny barely noticeable effects have to be done correctly.
I understand, but I kind of question the value of stereoscopy over other effects, such as FOV scaling and projection matching. Stereoscopy hardly matters if your VR set still makes it feel like you're looking through the wrong end of a pair of binoculars. And as I said above, stereoscopic displays require more adjustment specific to the individual wearer.
>All 6 degrees of movment (both moving and rotating in 3 dimensions) have to be tracked without the slightest delay or error accumulation (drift)
I can see rotation, but I'm not sure how walking/moving around with VR on is going to work. And drift might not even be acceptable; it might actually be necessary. Virtually all motion simulators employ a deliberate amount of drift for practical reasons.
>>
>>952375
Those still cost a bit of money. Im thinking more of a poorfags way into vr.
there has to be some way to get a couple screens from digikey (with driver boards), couple accelerometers, gyros, and then glue it into a 3d printed face puck, and attach it all with salvage head bands.
There would of course be controllers to utilizes the sensors and feed it back to the pc/control board
>>
>>952204
/thread
>>
>>952398
>implying I have a smart phone to put in a box
>>
File: pcvr.jpg (400 KB, 1000x1360) Image search: [Google]
pcvr.jpg
400 KB, 1000x1360
>>950977
I Personally would make it out of this stuff here:

iPad mini retina display:$66
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Screen-Display-For-iPad-Mini-2-2nd-With-Retina-A1489-A1490-Repair-CN-/131388234550?hash=item1e97595b36:g:WaQAAOSwGWNUYbQ6

iPad mini display driver with display port: $30
http://abusemark.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=53&zenid=etdephcofeomf5jrovpj62j266

Oculus Rift DK1 head Tracking unit: $50
http://vrglasseskit.com/

Now all that is left to do is to make a custom case and headgear to mount this stuff in.

It would probably cost around $200 to make it really nice. Pic somewhat related.
>>
>>952458
I forgot to mention the lenses. I looked around online, and apparently, the lenses' focal point should be around half of the diameter of the screen. the iPad mini display has a perimeter of 21.75 inches, so that divided by two would be 10.875 inches, or roughly 276.225 millimeters.

The anchor optics AX20567 are the closest to matching this spec at 285 mm, and cost about $10 each (http://www.anchoroptics.com/catalog/product.cfm?id=253&s=focal_length&d=a). You could also probably scavenge some lenses from some other old optics that you have around.

Please note, that I don't really know what I'm doing, so this is all just information that I scavenged around the web while having a similar idea, and it might not be accurate.
>>
File: IMG_0163.jpg (571 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0163.jpg
571 KB, 1600x1200
>>952178
>its outragous that 3d printers have a diy cult following but nobody is doing shit with VR
Not entirely. Look at the people using, working on, and developing 3d printers. A majority with skills, technical knowledge, etc.
People interested in VR?
>i wanna play video gaems.
Technology involved is also much more complex, with much less reward.
>>950977
No. You're not building one yourself.
>>
>>952410
You can get one for 30$ nowadays.
You dont have to activate it and have a plan on it.

I use my old S4 as a GPS and a dashcam in my car.
>>
>>952486
>People interested in VR?
>i wanna play video gaems.
fug.. you are right. I never thought about that.
personally I just want an escape from reality.. and also a neat toy that I can use for whatever bullshit project Im working on.
mfw ptz network camera that moves with my head.
>>
>>952536
true, I forget they are so cheap used now.
Whats a good one, screen size and resolution, for that price range?
>>
>>952467
>Please note, that I don't really know what I'm doing, so this is all just information that
dont care, youre hired.
now find a way to salvage lenses from trashed overhead projectors and use wiimotes for head tracking
>>
File: 1455602606269.jpg (118 KB, 550x733) Image search: [Google]
1455602606269.jpg
118 KB, 550x733
>>952549
Then do you have the proper skills to develop a board, develop firmware, develop the optics, have the tools or contacts to manufacture/assemble a prototype, etc?
You're being unrealistic.
If you think this is kid's cartoon type 'I believe I can do x, therefore I will be able to do x' then don't let me take away your motivation.
Pick your hardware. Start by figuring what you will need for headtracking. What screens you will use. Figure out how to drive these screens, and what will be necessary. How will you interface with the computer? You will need to build drivers.
If you've never done any of these before, it's likely that you fail miserably. There's a reason these things are developed by a team of engineers, not some retarded fuck watching my little pony in a basement that went on DIY for the first time.
>>
>>952568
>You're being unrealistic.
only slightly. but all great things came from an idea people called unrealistic.
>If you think this is kid's cartoon type 'I believe I can do x, therefore I will be able to do x' then don't let me take away your motivation.
nice of you, but its more of a "I can program in c, have experience dicking around with electronics, and had a child hood obsession with EE, and a decent learning capability" situation. I dont expect to single handedly do this, or even do this anytime soon. This would be after I finish my ba in me. Im just getting started.
>Pick your hardware.
atmel mc's, driver boards for the displays,
after 3d is actually working with.. oh idk unreal engine 4 because its free.. then add in gyroscopes and shit.
>Start by figuring what you will need for headtracking.
gyroscopes and shit. more worried about getting the damn thing running first. don't install an aftermarket stereo if the car wont even turn over.
>What screens you will use.
whatever werks
>Figure out how to drive these screens and what will be necessary.
the driver boards specified in the data sheet for the screens?
>How will you interface with the computer?
pipe it across serial like its 1982.
>You will need to build drivers.
probably
>If you've never done any of these before, it's likely that you fail miserably.
I don't expect to have anything presentable overnight. The head tracking probably wont be done until Ive finish calculus.
>There's a reason these things are developed by a team of engineers, not some retarded fuck watching my little pony in a basement that went on DIY for the first time.
suck my balls, Ive been here since 2006. I hate that show. when I get drunk and code I wind up all kinds of random shit.
Im pondering making something useful, you're the faggot with pictures of some guy, with bread strapped to his head, on your computer. Also Youre the one shitty up a thread that could seed this idea in someone.
>that pic number
back to >>>/b/ with you
>>
>>952568
>>952575
shitty = shitting
and besides, I never even claimed that *I* was going to do this.
I assume at some point that I may want to take a crack at it, but vr might even be affordable by then.
>>
>>952575
>until Ive finish calculus
Please tell me you meant to write calculations.
I'm just jaded and annoyed at seeing this thread pop up all the time, it's become the new container house. Prove me wrong, that you can build one halfassely drunk. Anyway it goes, it'll be a learning experience.
>>
>>952580
I can understand being pissed off at repeated threads. I personally havnt seen this one yet as Ive been off of here for a while.
I meant calculus, why is that an issue for you?
because I dont automatically know an advanced form of math that somehow makes me less capable?
you keep accusing me of claiming to be actively planing on building this thing. nowhere in any of my posts did I claim I have any intentions to do this. the closest thing would be in my last post were I said that i may have an interest in attempting it in the distant future.
>>
>>952467
I might be able to help out a bit with the optics as long as they're fairly basic.
>apparently, the lenses' focal point should be around half of the diameter of the screen.
For collimation/distant focus using a single lens, the focal length of the lens should be equal to/slightly more than the distance between the lens and the screen, simple as that. Assuming total collimation, the angular size of the image will be identical to that of the screen itself with respect to the center of the lens, so for your example of a 7.85" screen and a 285mm lens that works out to an image that is 2*arctan(.5*199mm/285mm) = 37.2 degrees across the diagonal, which certainly sounds usable, but definitely not very immersive to me. I'd recommend using shorter lenses, maybe ~100 mm or so.
>>
I've been looking into diy VR for some time and sad truth is, corporate bullshit fucks with easy access to screens. Most of the LCD screens are working in MIPI/DSI standard, which specifies what voltage goes where and so on. And guess what? To get this docu you need to pay thousands for dollars to MIPI association, so that your "company" is allowed to implement their technology. That's why you always have to buy the expensive driver on top of the screen.

Tł:dr does anyone have any MIPI/DSI standard documentation? Illegaly of course
>>
>>952584
nice bit of info there, I would expect it to be out there. you can import tv tuners from china that do not have any copyright protection in them/ can decrypt copy protected channels.. so I expect there to be "free" copies of the documentation for this.
>>
>>952582
In that case I apologize, I'm tired and it must have passed me by that you were merely testing the waters on this matter, nor did I meant to come across as an accusation.
There's far more issues here to consider, beyond technical there are also economical/political, which I won't go into. All I mean is that things aren't as easy as you're making them sound, and you should try your hand at a simpler project before jumping in. If you're not going to build anything, then don't build anything or be upset at the issues I'm presenting. Any decision without dissent is not a well informed one.
I myself have an interest in this, mainly because although i'm pretty certain of what's in it I want to take a peek. Currently debating if that peek is worth the asking price of the commercial item.
The comment about calculus was merely probing as to formal education, it is quite telling.
>>
File: 1456300690439.jpg (20 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1456300690439.jpg
20 KB, 400x400
I'm seeing a lot of 3D printur faggots here going like MUH TEHNOLOGY IS BETTER THAN YOURS.
Chill out. It's 2016 we have toom for both.

To adress some dev issues.
The problem with VR is that it might not be adopter realy. It's a vonderfull inovation with uses far exceding vydiagayms. It can personalize movies, let you travel without moveing an intch, experiance histry and art from the comfort of your home. Hell I'm sure that the little old ladies from old folks homes would love to see Rome, Paris, London, Detrot,etc but her old bones hurt.
A dev kit now is way to expensice to be viable. ~600$ for the basic package sets you back an entire console, TV set, or even a decent PC. A developed set sould cost somewere in the ball park of a higher end controller, be compatable with all "next gen" consoles and PC.
The Xbox controller is a good excample of this. Its compatable with both console and Winblows.
Second would be the lack of media support.
If your gonna spend money on something you want to use it right away and have fun. Most VR stuff i see are early demos, skyrim mods, rolercoster rides. And these things seem to be in development forever. Pack the device with at least 2-3 hyped up games. Think Elder Scrolls VI, Call of Duty X-Warfair, Halo whatever the next number is. Sell it in a pack. Buy this device get these games with it. Sails go up maney comes flowing back to company, relese new device every year with slightly better performance and less compatability when you see witch market has the videst margin of sails to save money, relese exclusives, slowly dumb down the basic expeciance, buy out smaller developers, make it uncool to develop non VR games. Dominate the market. Make it slowly replace television, deck it out with processing hardwere, donate a whole buntch to some private schools, say it hase educational impemantations, implement it in drone piloting, grab a buntch of military contracts, get set up for life.

cont.
>>
>>952595
https://sites.google.com/site/scienceandmathguide/
>>
>>952594
>cont.
plz dont
>>
>>952600
Ill comb through that site later, there is probably allot of stuff in there Ill read.
Are you the person was talking to?
>>
>>952602
yes.
>>
>>952594

Both the hardwere and the softwere do present a number of challanges
The hardwere need to be cheap, tought, and decent quality and resolution, since it's really close up, you'll see a lot of pixels if it where not.
Pull some strings see where china stands with its child labour armies. Qunataty means lower prices, order in bulk. However plan ahead. crowd funding will cover most of your expence if things go south.
Soffwewre sould be easy enough. Get a buntch of nerds in a room hype them up about what they are doing, optimize oprimize optimize. Now a hard part here would be compatability.
You need sonys aproval to implement this in their console, you need microsofts aproval to implement this in their new console, you need nintendos well no one uses the wii anyway.
But on the plus side its a good chance that these companies will do most of the work with porting for you since they dont want some monkey with a wrench near their machines.
The next thing is partnering up with Game development companies nad this is where most devices fail. Get under the sheets with EA, Ubisoft, Dublefine,Valve ,that indie guy with the fezz, eveyone. The game industry loves an inovation. And if they back it up with hyped up games for a year, youll be set up in the industry.
Get in bed with hollywood for a while, make the next superhero movie completley exclusive to cinemas with VR, make it seem like it cures at least 2 types of most common cancers and aids. Brybe a few critis to say the movies where awesome and apsolutley need to be seen in VR. Than star selling it as a home entertainment platform. Like a DVD or VCR or whatever the kids are useing now days. relese movies for it. Boom set up in the entertainment industry. Duble the money back after the relese dates.
To be fair you need to be a brutal buisiness man to pull it off. And have a cult folowing of nerds.
I couldnt pull it off, for lack of starting capital, hard skills, conections etc. but im pretty sure someone can
>>
>>952605
I see a number of things in that i plan to read already, and I will be reading that thought my schooling if the stuff there turns out to be good.
>>
>>952605
I forgot to say thanks for the link
>>
>>952620
I'm here to help.
>>
>>952622
Its funny how fast this conversation tunred around
>>
File: good night.jpg (17 KB, 500x390) Image search: [Google]
good night.jpg
17 KB, 500x390
>>952626
It's what happens with proper discussion of a topic, as opposed to recurring to my sexuality (I may occasionally take it up the ass, but it's by my fiancee with a strap-on), or board of origin.
>>
>>952458
>iPad mini retina display
For what it's worth, when you magnify the screen like you will be with a head-mounted display, the concept of it being a "retina display" falls apart. See, the assumption with a "retina display" is that, with normal usage of the device in question, you won't view the screen closely enough to even perceive individual pixels - but if you take that same screen and magnify it, you're magnifying the pixels as well. This is one case where it may be worthwhile to find a screen that is better-than-retina resolution.
>>
>>952629
well to be fair you started it by calling me a newfag, mlp watching, basement dweller..
and more power to you, thats where the gspot is. Last I checked a girls gspot was a primitive unformed mass that was suppose to become the prostate.
also goodnight to you aswell. Im off too.
>>
>>952580
>it's become the new container house.

What is wrong with container house? It is possible to do and about the same size as most student homes. Of course I recognize the problems of electricity, heat, moisture, air flow, shower/toilet/fresh water/waste water, and the laws and permits required to pass for having a container home.
>>
>>952375
>I can see rotation, but I'm not sure how walking/moving around with VR on is going to work
I'm not talking about walking, I'm talking about moving (not rotating) your head slightly.

>Virtually all motion simulators employ a deliberate amount of drift for practical reasons.
Could you elaborate on that? Are you talking about movement prediction?
>>
>>954363
>I'm not talking about walking, I'm talking about moving (not rotating) your head slightly.
I see. Accelerometers probably aren't your best bet, then. You could hack a wiimote to form a fairly simple infrared head tracker, a la TrackIR.
>Could you elaborate on that?
I'm talking about actual translational and (usually) rotational deviation from the motion being simulated. Obviously, since the simulator is static, it cannot exactly mimic the motions it is trying to simulate, especially in translation. In fact, in most case, the simulator cannot translate at all, or can only translate vertically over a short distance. So instead, simulators usually use rotation and gravity to mimic lateral and longitudinal accelerations (i.e. instead of actually racing forward like a dragster, the simulator mimics this by simply tilting the rider back instead). Of course, your inner ear can perceive rotation as well, and if you focus you can usually tell the difference. The control logic may even compromise, limiting the magnitude of tilt-for-acceleration coupling (and thereby reducing the translation sensation) to minimize the rotating sensation it produces. If you have a 6DOF motion simulator like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJCsomGwdk0), you can actually use direct lateral acceleration to initiate the translational acceleration sensation, and then gradually transition to tilt-based to drift back to zero velocity. But even there, some drift/deviation is still present, since the simulator's range of motion is still less than the motion being simulated.
>>
>>950977
I have a DK2, and like any good DIYer I've taken it apart a couple times to make it better.

The screen for the DK2 is a samsung S5 screen. Like, it leterally has the "samsung s5" tag on it.

As ofr the sensor, China's lack of IP ethics save the day again :

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/high-quality-9-Axis-gyroscope-usb-module-motion-sensor-compatible-for-oculus-rift-dk1-virtual-reality/32332274573.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.2.J2E06o&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2,searchweb201644_3_505_506_503_504_10020_502_10014_10001_10002_10017_10005_10006_10003_10021_10004_10022_10018_10019,searchweb201560_1,searchweb1451318400_-1,searchweb1451318411_-1&btsid=a0e04e80-ec05-4293-9e6f-930e094140fe

Get one of those suckers and slap a screen on it, download the SDK and you're done.
>>
>>955515
That thing is a peice of shit, I can see a solder bridge in their own preview pic.

Also that says that is for the dk1, which I assume is a pos. You would also need a driver for the screen.
Is it just the one screen inside of it?
>>
>>955537
>>955515
forgot pic
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.