[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If I had a license and was legally allowed to distill at hom
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9
File: Little-Red-Moonshine-Still-3.jpg (101 KB, 800x761) Image search: [Google]
Little-Red-Moonshine-Still-3.jpg
101 KB, 800x761
If I had a license and was legally allowed to distill at home and bought a kit like this, what would be the easiest and simplest way to keep the worm box cold?
http://www.moonshinestill.com/shop/stills/the-little-red-stovetop-6-quart-copper-pot-still

Moonshining is illegal and I'd make my own hard liquor without state and/or federal approval
>>
File: Hipster Fox.jpg (65 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Hipster Fox.jpg
65 KB, 500x500
>>949324

Water, ice and salt. or design a worm box with a spout so it can drain into a sink and attach a nozzle to your kitchen faucets to allow a continuous flow of cold water.
>>
>>949324

In fact, looking close at that same design it has a spout at the top of the worm box. All you need is running water.
>>
>>949324

Why is the cooling pan copper? Realistically all that needs be copper is what the alcohol (vapour) touches. That said, making the pot copper is a good thing, just not strictly necessary.

To keep your pipe cold just use a steady supply of cold water. Since I don't see a drain in your tray, maybe use ice bath instead. That said, you won't get great yields with a pot still, and you should probably look into reflux stills, or at least pack your worm with copper scrap on the uphill part.

Good luck and don't get caught.
>>
>>949324
if you want booze just make the damn booze. to hell with anyone that says what you can and cant do if the only person that could get harmed is yourself.
>>
>>949335

Also, you're money ahead making your own, just watch out for lead based products. The ones you should use will say lead free right on the packaging.
>>
>>949335
It's harder for things like salt to stick to copper if I recalled correctly. Same with Stainless steel, but copper is better.

>>949338
This, lead will cause you to go blind.
>>
>>949336
You might hurt the oil industry by burning that moonshine in your car as ethanol. If everyone could just make their own gas, what would be the point of an oil based economy?
>>
File: Barrel.png (192 KB, 618x703) Image search: [Google]
Barrel.png
192 KB, 618x703
>>949404
exactly.
mfw kerosene was the shit and gasoline was a wasted byproduct they literally dumped into rivers.
mfw gasoline became the shit.
mfw diesel is the byproduct of gasoline
mfw diesels weren't even meant to run off of "deisel fuel"
mfw there are 8 other byproducts that are marketed from the processing of oil
mfw henry fords preferd method of gasing a car was ethanol
mfw vintage corn gas, see pic two
>>
File: vintage corn gas.jpg (75 KB, 736x588) Image search: [Google]
vintage corn gas.jpg
75 KB, 736x588
>>949404
>>949406
>>
Is rotovap distilling illegal too?
>>
>>949417
Distilling is illegal itself unless you have the permit. Making alcohol is legal like beer or wine.
>>
>>949404
What stops you from buying industrial denatured ethanol in bulk? It's going to be difficult to beat it in price with your home still.
>>
>>949404
>>949406
>>949407
If everyone burned alcohol in their cars we would run out of food. Alcohol comes from crops therefore it takes up space that could be used to farm food.

t. Big Oil
>>
>>949425
Not like corn really adds to the diet anyways.

>>949423
Not the point, the point is that people can always have their own alternative self reliant solution. Furhter more,Florida just banned solar panels so that power companies wouldn't go under, or so they claim. What ever needs to be sacrificed in the names of jobs, eh? One day the government will be paying people to count sand on the beach just so they have something to do.
>>
>>949431
furthermore*
>>
>>949425
Anyways, there is a huge source of hydrocarbons nobody sees sitting right in front of them, it's just sitting there waiting for someone to take it.
>>
>>949431
Corn is a huge part of the American diet. Damn near every food product sold in the western hemisphere has corn in it.
>>
>>949431
It's not about corn specifically it's just that in general if you're farming fuel you aren't farming food. Sorry guys no such thing as free energy
>>
>>949439
>It's not free guys, so it shouldn't be done.

Whelp there goes the entire economy with that logic. Not like GMO crops could not be produced to handle the the output problems.

>>949437
I mean nutrition wise. It's just a filler, it's pretty awful in that sense.
>>
>>949431
It's rather relevant if you're referring to economy.
Run your car on biodiesel or biogas then. Or use a wood gasifier.
>>
>>949443
In order to make it economical, new methods must be obtained, such things are limited by the government. So, chances are I'll leave this country and go to a place where it isn't regulated to invent new methods in order to make it more economical. It's about the concepts, anon. It's about the science.
>>
>>949449
If you want to research something new, shouldn't you steer clear from ethanol in any case? Research something which haven't been around for ages and which haven't been researched to death. For example, biodiesel production from algae isn't nowhere near as well-known topic as ethanol production. Or develop something entirely different, like a new cost-effective process for making methanol from garbage.

I don't get it why you're so hung on shit you can't do, when there are plenty of allowed options available.
>>
>>949440
It's nothing to do with quantity, it's to do with land and water usage. in case you haven't realized there is only a finite amount of land and fresh water on Earth. Just bend over and take Exxon's big black oily cock. there's no escape.
>>
>>949468
A lot of things have been invented, but are not useful until they have been improved or made more obtainable.

>For example, biodiesel production from algae isn't nowhere near as well-known topic as ethanol production

True, but I'm still pissed off about relatively safe things being limited or prohibited because of opinionated men who hold offices.

>>949469
Stop with this non-sense meme. There is more than enough for me at least.
>>
>>949423
The price (mainly taxes). The wholesale price for ethanol is about $1.50/gallon. Try buying it (as a consumer) for less than $20.00/gallon.
>>
>>949437
>Corn is a huge part of the American diet.

Enjoy your obesity.
>>
>>949449

Produce ethanol from cane sugar.

>So, chances are I'll leave this country and go to a place where it isn't regulated to invent new methods in order to make it more economical.

You'll have to leave. The sugar cartel keeps US prices too high to make this economical here.
>>
>>949477
Honestly, mycodiesel is probably going to end up more successful than the algae thing, since you don't have giant tanks of finicky plant life in giant tanks out in the desert.

The only problem with it would be trying to convince enough Americans to actually sort their garbage, since biodegradable refuse would probably be the number one source of fuel.

And most of those 'opinionated men' hold the personal opinion that we need to start moving away from oil, but as with any other Big Three issue(Big Pharma, Military-Industrial being the other part of the Three), it's not going to change any time soon.
Not until independent scientists get all the kinks worked out, in which case they'll put the money into actually making the stuff, provided it proves profitable.
>>
>>949534
You really don't need algae, you could possibly get away by using plankton in the ocean. Plankton is such an overlooked resource, because it could also be an huge food supply bonus that can hardly ever be damaged by humans since it's so plentiful. Of course, it taste like shit, I'm sure.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-two/9099881/Wartime-population-faced-eating-plankton-to-avert-food-shortages.html

This was in World War 2, so imagine how much food could be produce in modern times with automation.
>>
>>949468
>I don't get it why you're so hung on shit you can't do, when there are plenty of allowed options available

Definition of a statist tbqh.

>>949469

>the is a finite amount of water

Did you fail second grade when you learned about the water cycle?
>>
>>949866
did you fail economics when you researched desalinization?
rain water isnt drinkable everywhere. only 3% of water on this planet is fresh water, most of which is contained in the ice caps. virtually all fresh water reserves are condemned to be contaminated with salt water sooner or later, especially with raising sea levels.
>>
>>949873

Never took an economic class that talked about desalination, but I have taken quite a few bio and when courses, so let me spell it out

>corn plant takes energy from the sun to turn water and CO2 into sugar (stored energy)
>we harvest the corn plant and take its stored energy
>we process the stored energy into a form readily useable to us (ethanol)
>we burn ethanol releasing CO2 and water
>cycle repeats

Why would desalination ever be an issue here?

Also
>virtually all fresh water reserves are condemned to be contaminated with salt water sooner or later, especially with raising sea levels.

Is horse shit. If it were true, we would have no fresh water. The most beautiful thing about this planet is that it's a giant desalination plant. We are in absolutely no danger of running out of fresh water so long as the water cycle keeps doing it's magic.
>>
>>949883
I live in a chemical valley, I grew up being told never to drink the rain or eat the snow. the entire water table for my area is a cess pool.
The only water supply is either bottled water or highly contaminated tap water that is loaded with fluoride.

look into current desalinization projects. they are massively expensive.
>>
>>949883
Corn ethanol is not energy efficient. It literally takes more energy to produce then you get out of it. It is forced on America exclusively to pad farmers pockets with subsidized money. We'd be money ahead if they just took the cash and sold us feed corn cheaper
>>
>>949883

You forgot the whole bit about how corn depletes the land of nitrogen requiring us to make fertilizer out of oil, as well as the transportation energy, and refining energy. You also forgot the part about how farming is really hard, and how the weather never cooperates with your desire, and how the yields don't meet the minimum costs, and how the rules make all but the corporate farms sustainable, and how everyone wants their piece of the pie...
Simple narratives about the world lead to a false sense of confidence. The stories about real human endeavors can't be told, they must be acted out. Stop trying to reduce the reality of the world to your engineering books. Feel free to call us when you actually get around to doing something in the world.
>>
This thread reads like it's full of butthurt middle-aged men who are bitter about a lifetime of buying petrol so are desperate for that one quick easy solution that will destroy Big Oil forever. Well I'm sorry but oil is in fact the most cost-effective solution. As others have repeatedly tried to point out even if you were allowed to make your own alcohol and burn it in your car this will fuck up the world food and water supply. Buy a Tesla car or something if you are this resentful at having to buy petrol.
>>
>>949912
>buy a tesla car
where do you think electricity comes from?
do you think anybody here gives a fuck about the world food supply? america has enough food, so much that millions of pounds go the the dump each year. probably billions of tons actually.
>>
>>949534
It doesn't have to be profitable, just suitable for the uses that it is required for.
>>
>>949912
Oil is the most cost effective way, but only because of the extremely costly developed infrastructure and research. It might not be in the future.
>>
>>949324
There's an inlet and outlet built into the bowl the worm is in. Get a water pump and pump cool water via hose through the bowl.
>>
File: tIc3chp.gif (1 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
tIc3chp.gif
1 MB, 200x150
>>950315
>>
>>949932
>where do you think electricity comes from?
Anywhere you can get it from.
>>
>>950443
The correct answer is fossile fuels.
there is only a small fraction of the power grid that comes from clean energy.
>>
>>949335
it's got more to do with heat conduction, copper is a better conductor.
>>
>>949404
I seem to recall reading an article or ten a short while ago on how ethanol is actually worse for the environment than petroleum based fuels.

something about worse and larger amounts of green house gasses being the byproduct in the exhaust of ethanol
>>
I always thought it was only illegal to sell it. I thought you could make it yourself.
>>
>>949431
fuck are you talking about "florida banned solar panels"?

I live here how is this supposedly the first I'm hearing about it?
post a source bruh.
>>
>>950761
hahaha I could see some shit like that happening,
"solar energy is property of the government, you need a license to collect it", just like rain water is now
>>
>>950757
nah, that only works with wine and beer.

hell, its illegal to even own a still in some states without permits.

and its almost imposible to get permits and licensing to make distilled spirits for consumption of humans.
the big companies make sure of that.
>>
>>950761
http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2015/jan/16/floridians-solar-choice/florida-one-five-states-ban-certain-solar-sales-pe/

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-no-solar-20140810-story.html

http://fcir.org/2015/04/03/in-sunshine-state-big-energy-blocks-solar-power/
>>
>>950453
>32.7% of US electricity came from clean sources
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_generation#/media/File:U.S._2014_Electricity_Generation_By_Type.png
>>
>>951213
that is a small fraction, though it is slightly larger than I expected.
an overwhelming majority comes from dirty engergy. places with windmills and solar pannels still rely on dirty energy plants to make electric and the celan energy only helps out.
So even if you want to factor in the clean energy source, then look at it this way.. the energy used on his new tesla would drain the grid of power that someone else would have been using, taking away from the limited power from the solar panels, making the power plant have to burn more fuel to compensate.
so in the end the impact is still there.
>>
>>951017
LAND OF THE FREE
>>
>>949324
OP your pic is just a ripoff of Iberian Coppers' products.

I have a 2.5L model with steam distillation chamber and German hotplate, works great for essential oils and is a beautiful kitchen appliance.

Buy a good grounded Schuko to U.S. adapter as the hotplates can run at 115V or 230V.

http://www.copper-alembic.com/en/

You can either make moonshine or essential oil with a copper alembic but not both in the same one.

If you do make mooshine, keep quiet about it and you'll be fine.
>>
>>949324
>Moonshining is illegal and I'd make my own hard liquor without state and/or federal approval

Yes and no

It is illegal to make moonshine, yes, but it is completely legal to make fuel.

Many states will even give you a tax write off for a registered fuel still. You have to go through the steps, fill out the paperwork, have the still inspected before any alcohol has been distilled through it
>(they test to see if you have, but you can run vinegar through it to properly test the seals and mechanics before hand)

Once it's stamped, you are good to go to make your fuel.

Simply make your mash, run it through the still, collect your fuel, and if you just so happen to collect a touch of the heart, no one is the wiser.

When you are making fuel, you collect, everything, the forshots, heads, hearts, and depending on if you want a lower quality fuel, the tails too.

If you know when and how to collect from the heart, good on you, technically you are making this to burn in some sort of motor, so yes it's toxic in this state, but you can tap out some nice human fuel if you know how and when to collect.
>>
File: plastbrannaren_funktion.png (25 KB, 488x246) Image search: [Google]
plastbrannaren_funktion.png
25 KB, 488x246
You are all probably aware of this method but pic related shows a compact method of making ethanol from mash(ing ?).

It's basically a modified aquarium heater that heats the ethanol to like 47C and the condense will drip down along the walls to the bottom of the larger bucket.

Mind you it's a slow process but it's quite compact and super cheap.
>>
>>951598
making moonshine from mash*
>>
File: 1444205248203.jpg (40 KB, 598x493) Image search: [Google]
1444205248203.jpg
40 KB, 598x493
>>951599
Kek, let me guess... you're the type who would go down to the liquor store, buy a bottle of Jack, and distill that into moonshine
>>
>>949437
That's why your obese people are a different shape to the rest of the world's obese people. Stop eating corn, it's probably what makes yankees retarded too
>>
>>949639
is that the same as krill? They're just launching the world's biggest krill factory fishing ship. Dunno what for desu
>>
>>951633
I would mix sugar, water and yeast and distill the outcome.
>>
File: 1441812193697.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1441812193697.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>951650
You are a smart one huh...

Sucks for you that you are going to pay that much more and get an inferior product out of it, but to each their own.

Cheers
>>
File: 1452519631019.jpg (240 KB, 840x585) Image search: [Google]
1452519631019.jpg
240 KB, 840x585
>>951638
shit man, now the whales will be even more fucked!
>>
>>951763
That bucket setup is <50 bucks
>>
>>951638
Krill is a lot larger. Most plankton are algae Diatoms. Fun Fact: They have tiny shells made of silica, which can also be used.

https://westerndiatoms.colorado.edu/about/what_are_diatoms
>>
>>951770
Those damn dead whales stealing our plankton; they are too big.
>>
>>950771
nonono the reason that its not legal to make homemade alcohol is so that the government can keep track of how much is sold and consumed by the people of the country. not so that companies can make more money.
>>
>>949418

Distilling spirits is illegal.

Fuck, we were distilling for volatility experiments in my second year chemistry lab in college. Distilling apparatus and shit.
>>
>>953521
Distilling ethanol is illegal without a permit.
Are you sure you were distilling ethanol?
>>
>>953545

I literally just said distilling spirits, eg. alcohol, is illegal. Distilling other liquids, like say hexane, is not.
>>
>>949406
>mfw diesels weren't even meant to run off of "deisel fuel"
thats interetsing, do you have somewhere I can get more info on all this?
>>
>>949404
do you need to modify your engine to run off ethanol?
>>
>>950756
>green house gasses
the number one GHG is water vapour(95% of all GHG), of whcih humans create 0.001%

remember to bow down to the church of ecoflagellation though
>>
>>952094
fatshaming is not ok, shitlord!
>>
>>949431
Ugh there were huge food riots on tge third world when the us started it's corn ethanol subsidy. It was a major contribution to the Arab spring.

The corn ethanol is also physically incapable of being profitable because it costs more of a percentage of a barrel of oil than it replaces?
>>
>>953814

For E85, non Flex Fuel cars will need a few parts replaced but nothing inside the engine. We're talking, depending on a few things, new injectors, corrorision resistant lines, fuel sensor, etc.

Non-Flex Fuel cars can run on E85 because it's ethanol produces less energy than gasoline and it won't harm the engine. The kicker is making sure your car is able to compensate for this by delivering the right amounts of fuel.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.