[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm getting a good deal on this house because it used to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 20150616_072918~01.jpg (322 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
20150616_072918~01.jpg
322 KB, 1024x768
I'm getting a good deal on this house because it used to be my parents. It's not great looking and it's from 1959.

I have questions as a first time homeowner looking to make it both more comfortable and more valuable:
What style would you say it is?
What porch/deck design would suit it best? I like craftsman style but don't know if it would be appropriate.
What paintjob do you think would work or should I just leave the brick and put some primary color trim up?
Any other ideas that leap out at you?

The roof was getting repaired in this picture.
>>
File: p-americanhouses_fpo1.png (2 MB, 2000x2667) Image search: [Google]
p-americanhouses_fpo1.png
2 MB, 2000x2667
By style I mean this

I can't figure out which one it is I feel retarded. I just want to Google whatever style house it is so I can look at other people's homes to get ideas.
>>
yours is a pretty standard mid-century modern prairie style split level. without more pics of where you want the deck, it's impossible to suggest a design. with an older home you have some decisions to make...how is the plumbing? the roof?.how old is the HVAC system? how well is it insulated?are you going to keep the existing landscaping or do something different? etc., etc.....the biggest issue being how much are you looking to spend right off the bat?..
>>
>>950802
Contemporary cross gable roof.

If your parents sold you a house at or below market cost don't worry about the valuable aspect unless you're just trying to flip it. Keep the styling in line with your local area and similar to what your neighbors have. If your house stands out too much it can lower the value.

I assume this is the front of the house, you might like a paver-brick walkway instead of that poured concrete.

Make the windows pop with a contrasting color to the brown brick and roof, something like white. Otherwise new, energy efficient windows are good and always add to value.

Add accent lighting, update your address numbers, fix up the gardening.

I'm jealous your parents sold you a house on the cheap.
>>
>>950796
Without knowing where you are, my house was built in 1958, some things to look for would be:

Insulation - none originally, ceiling is now but not walls yet. Fuel oil was cheaper than insulation in the 50s I've been told.

Electrical - two wire, simple hot/neutral with no safety ground, so either use an adapter or put in gfci outlets for modern three prong appliances.

Plumbing - worst thing is there were no shut offs when I moved in. One valve turned on or off the whole house. The waste side plumbing has been easy to replace with PVC, and only one elbow has failed on the supply side.

Good luck, hope yours is more modern than mine has been.
>>
>>950815
Thank you friend, I just copied your post into a word file for later reference. I'm buying what's left of the mortgage which has about $110k on it, my mom passed away last year and my dad couldn't take living in the house.

It was appraised last year for $240k mostly because of the neighborhood. Yuppies are building mcmansions right behind it for $600k as fast as they can crammed one right next to another. They of course are bringing Starbucks, Mercedes dealers and panera bread to every corner in the surrounding area.

The interior is a shitshow and needs renovating. My home builder buddies estimated about $50k to get all 3200 sq feet up to modern standards which an equity loan in a year or two will
cover.

>>950805
I have a good job on the railroad and am planning on putting quite a bit into it. I want a nice place to live that I'm proud of and that my mom would have been proud of. Not trying to be sappy just being honest, I'm going for classy upscale instead of the brushed aluminum and dark mahogany bachelor pad I'd build myself in my mind.

The house is sound in all the ways you mention. It was neglected in some minor ways but it will be in working order before I buy it, that's the deal I have with my dad. The era of the interior is another matter. It was remodeled in the early 90's and hasn't been touched since.

>>950846
Good tips on the isolation and electrical, will keep those in mind. I'm in Kentucky.

Plumbing....It has a dreaded septic tank. I will be actively pursuing an easement as soon as I purchase as just a few hundred yards behind the property- the mcmansions all have full sewage.

Thank you all for thoughtful and insightful replies. What a fantastic and mature board.
>>
>>950922
Thought of something else, >>950846 here, don't be surprised if your walls are a forerunner of drywall that is I think called plasterboard? If I recall correctly from a renovation I did they're 2x3 sheets of plaster nailed to the studs, but might be some other bastard size. They're better than drywall for hanging stuff, and if they're in decent shape I'd advise not ripping them out unless you have to (like a complete rewire with insulation.) Should have told you I'm in southwest Ohio, so now I'd bet some of the stuff from mine applies to yours.

Fantastic and mature? Go look up the "how do I polish this quartz with a dremel tool" thread in the catalog. Or just wait for someone to mention a six axis robot, or battery powered ball warmers...
>>
>>950922
Sorry for your loss, and thats a smokin deal; 50% off a houses value is insane even for a reasonably priced house.

Get a 30 year loan even if you can afford a 15 year mortgage, and fix it up to how you like it. But don't feel like you've got to spend $100k in the next 3 years to fully remodel it all in one go unless you've got a pile of cash and secure income flowing in.

Spend a bunch of money on one thing at a time, like master bath, then the floors, then the walls, then insulation, then kitchen. I stress again, spend the cash on doing it how you like it, don't compromise and get a lesser quality build just to replace it with something new and trending. If you're renovating something, you can save thousands by doing the demolition work yourself. Don't skimp out by hiring a guy that will do it for half price, or scrape by on important shit like existing electrical and plumbing.

The most expensive rooms will be kitchen, then bathrooms, then specialty areas (like a bar or theater room) then everything else in that order. I've said it twice, and I'll say it again; do it how you like it. Don't necessarily go with what is in style now, because housing styles come and go, and ultimately you're the one that'll be living with it, not some contractor, or some homo on a house flipping show.
>>
>>950935
Ahh okay good to know I will ask someone to give me a full picture of what the guts of the house are.

I'm from cincy, live in Newport and work out of cincy. I take trains through Hamilton, tipp, Dayton, troy,piqua, Lima, etc. Small world. Thanks again and I'm keep my positive view of this board by staying in this thread. House is in Florence area.

>>950941
Thanks!! Great words of encouragement and a really good point about doing it my way, you're right. I need to build my house my way.

I'm extremely fortunate to have this opportunity coming my way even though it happened under awful circumstances. I'm planning to do 30 year and then get a trustworthy housemate since I'm away from home 4 days a week. Lots of people willing to pay $750 for a house on an acre in the country and have it mostly to themselves.

There's lots to be done inside and doing one room a year is my goal but I may want a porch to drink on more than a classy bathroom.
>>
>>950946
Anon is right, get the longer term, have more money to renovate, and you can still pay it off early if you want to or can. You can of course get more than just the payoff with that much built-in equity.

And holy crap, if you go through Hamilton I'm sure I've heard the horn, at least on a cold winter night. Don't go flat-wheeling anything, anon, I hear they don't like sort of thing...
>>
>>950974
>get the longer term

Just check the fine print for penalties if you pay it off faster. I went 30 years and paid it off in 3. I got mine under similar circumstances.

Also take a look at your self and see if you are cut out for this. I have been very fortunate but on some fronts in life I'm having a hard time looking after it all with a bit of depression and stuff.
>>
Cut all that vegetation back from the house. Clear the gutters and downspouts, check the grades that matter is running away from the house. Check the calucki g.
>>
>>950974
Lol we blow symmes road, lindenwald, butler street, eaton street, New river, augsperger, Trenton and Jackson road the fuck up with our horns day and night!!!!

So funny that you live there. I work trains in AK steel a lot in Middletown.
>>
>>950982
>>951024
Great tips thanks guys
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.