[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was given a Raspberry Pi 2 as a gift some time ago and I was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
I was given a Raspberry Pi 2 as a gift some time ago and I was really excited when I got it. It was fun to tinker with but ultimately I quit messing with it so much and it has been sitting in a closet for some time now.

A few days ago I decided to pull it out and see if I could use it to watch some stuff on my TV without having to connect the HDMI cable from my computer.

My experience so far has been as follows:

>Try to watch Netflix through XBMC for the Pi 2
>Netflixbmc requires a chrome launcher and therefore doesn't work for the Pi
>PlayOn requires a computer to be running
>Wants a monthly subscription
>Wants a $60 upfront payment if you don't feel like paying monthly
>Chromecast is $35

>Try to do anything with MPEG2 or VC-1 encoding and end up with garbage framerate
>Buy license keys
>They'll show up in your email in several days

>Try to add spotify
>Spotimc requires a premium account
>Could just continue to listen for free on my computer

>Try to watch TV
>Need a TV tuner instead of just being able to watch through an Xfinity addon for XBMC
>TV tuner costs money
>Already have a cable box so why would I do that?

>Maybe I'll install RetroPi on it
>Already able to emulate whatever my heart desires on my computer
>Just play SNES games on computer with better performance

>Go look up any other halfway decent music/video streaming plugin
>Find a list
>2014
>All the plugins no longer work

This device is really only good for GPIO pins and as a cloud server. Other than that it's literally a meme device that is shit compared to even the most basic smartphone which has wifi without the use of a dongle.

I guess I would be up for buying a 9 dBi antenna and making a Piratebox. Anyone have any other ideas?
>>
>>950347
paper weight
>>
>>950347

>Anyone have any other ideas?
Is your only interest consuming media? If so, you have to realize that you are limited to what will run on the Raspberry PI, unless you are willing to do some work to get what you want. Its a SoC with GPIO: you have a computer with OS and GPIO, so you can do *anything* a basic computer can do. It just isn't built in. However, there aren't any arbitrary restrictions either (like with a smartphone).

If you want to do more than consume media; then google is your friend.

>>950567
>paper weight

Like I said SoC with GPIO. But you need to be willing to figure it out your self in many ways.
>>
>>950612
BTW, that's kind of the whole point of RaspberryPI. One higher level of abstraction than a microcontroller; one lower level of abstraction than a computer or built-for-consumption device.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.