[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My parent's cat decided to piss on some clothes on the floor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: DSC_0911.png (858 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0911.png
858 KB, 960x720
My parent's cat decided to piss on some clothes on the floor in my closet and it got on the carpet. I washed the area of the carpet with soapy water and then covered it with baking soda overnight and vacuumed it up today.

I thought that it would be helpful to use a fan to get some airflow to help get any remaining smells out, so I pointed the fan at the closet and turned it on at the highest speed...I keep a lot of books and records and stuff in my closet, so I'm paranoid about any remaining smell lingering on them. I'm wondering if this is the best approach or if I should have the fan face away from the closet instead of blowing directly into the closet.
>>
Look for "Nature's Miracle"

It's pretty good at removing stains and odors from animals.
>>
>>948701
i'm sorry op but you will never get that smell out
it will always be there
you can use whatever chemicals, wash it as much has you like, you will still occasionally catch the smell out of the corner of your nose and it will drive you crazy never being quite sure if your stuff is clean.

i'm sorry for cat people, i like cats too, but they are animals. animals don't understand not to poop and piss and puke everywhere.

i realise its your parents cat but if you value your posessions you dont't leave them in a house with an animal roaming around. put a lock on your door in future.
>>
>>948701
Male cat?
Don't worry. It's going to continue to do so.
>>
>>948713
I'll look into that...Thanks.

>>948714
Yeah, I'm not letting that cat in here anymore...I'm getting my own place soon, anyway.

>>948715
Female...She's spayed, too...I don't understand why she's doing this all of a sudden when they've had that cat for 10+ years.
>>
>>948720
>understand
>cat
>>
>>948714
My puppy pissed all over my house before i trained her and vinegar got rid of the smell completely. Is cat piss different?
>>
>>948720
>had the cat for 10+ years

Yah, this is pretty normal. When cats get older, they start to suffer from kidney failure. If you keep the cat in perfect health, she will eventually die of kidney failure. It's just the way cats are built.

Anyway, a result of progressively failing kidneys is that she will start drinking and peeing more. I'm sure she will still try to make it to the litter, but you can expect her to start peeing on more things and more often. There are treatments to help her, but they only slow the failure down. Granted, a treatment regimen can extend her life by years. It's usually a small dose of medicine daily and a switch to lower protein food. Eventually it leads to administering subcutaneous fluid once or twice a week.

Anyway, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but she's likely to pee on your stuff again, and it's an indicator that she is dying of kitty natural causes.
>>
>>948761
Also, just so no one starts freaking out, it sounds like this is just starting for her, and if you did nothing she would still likely live a couple more years. When I was young and dumb, and my cat died in my arms after years of suffering like this, I promised I wouldn't make the mistake of not treating it again. I have another cat who will be 18 this year. We're treating him for the same business, and when he really starts to suffer, we'll make the tough call to put him down.
>>
Rent a ozone machine, it will take the smell out of anything. Source: father owns a cleaning company. Set it up and run it for a day
>>
>>948701

If the cat just started pissing in odd spots...making this unusual behavior, the cat may have a urinary tract infection...also quite common and reasonably easy to treat...take it to the vet...
>>
File: bastard.png (623 KB, 762x593) Image search: [Google]
bastard.png
623 KB, 762x593
>>948764
Not OP, but I figure I'd highlight your advice with a story.
My childhood cat died last year due to renal failure, and as my mother neglected his deteriorating condition, we didn't have time to euthanize him before he died.
In his last few days his drive to make it to the bathroom downstairs was unbelievable. I found him after he fell down the stairs with his claws stuck into the carpet after reaching out to stop himself. He didn't even have the energy to get himself out so he just lay there until I found him. I had to help him walk by supporting his sides as he couldn't walk without falling over. His death was restless. In the middle of winter I dug his grave through three feet of snow.

Be warned that when your cat starts sleeping on his legs, like a loaf, but with his head titled downwards it's a sign of trouble called 'crashing'.

While we are on the subject of things we wish we knew sooner, keep an eye out for cardiomyopathy(heart disease) as I believe it's the number two killer of cats.

After the above mentioned cat died, my mother ended up picking up a former three year old stray cat that after a year of living with someone else with dogs that terrified him, they had to get rid of him. After all that time, he would just sit as a loaf and literally go "mmmmm" or hiss at you if you got within ten feet. You would never see him move around, it was weeks before I even saw his legs. I spent hours with setting out treats in a line so he would eat them and get closer to me. I started petting him, despite his complaints, made him a few /diy/ cat toys, and over the next few months he was like a completely different cat.

Then he suddenly had a stroke in which a blood clot fucked his lungs up to the point it was like someone partly turned on a tap out of his mouth as he tried to breath with the fluid build up. $600 later, he was gone.

Tomorrow it will be two months since his death. Stupid cats, for making me feel things. I miss the little bastard.
>>
>>948811
Yah, sorry dood. That symptom of falling over is classic though. If a cat appears drunk and falling over, you should be taking the cat to the vet to be euthanized as soon as possible. Like, within the hour. Honestly, even if you euthanize the cat within an hour, you're already two hours too late. It's just so hard to make that call.
>>
>>948818
Yeah, it's the type of thing to creep up on you. We had someone that was going to come in to Euthanize him as he was already in his death throes, and we didn't want to move him, but he died long before they would have gotten here. His death wasn't nearly as bad as some of the other renal failure stories I've read. He was restless and kept trying and failing to move up but eventually he just went to sleep forever.

Just out of curiosity, did you cat have increased vocalizations with renal failure? My first cat did and I have my other childhood cat with renal failure now and she does crazy jungle meows all the god damn time. Wish I knew what she wanted.

Honestly, I'm never going to own a pet again. It's too strange knowing that they only exist here because your ancestors were stupid enough to domesticate them without having any real use for them. Knowing that the cat was in pain due to being unfortunate enough to exist in the first place and I was perpetuating the cycle without having any idea if they actually enjoyed existing was too much. Born in a trailer park, go through terrible winters you're not even designed for, spend a year terrified for your life, your heart feels like it's going to explode constantly, and then die when you're three years old in a horrible death.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.