[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wood filler
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 38c355b2.png (627 KB, 750x591) Image search: [Google]
38c355b2.png
627 KB, 750x591
I've got an old cabinet door, with 35mm holes drilled partially thorough for integrated hinges, that look vaguely like this.

After fitting a new washing machine, I found that the old hinge locations no longer match up, so I need to drill new holes. This wouldn't be an issue, but the new holes would be close enough to the old ones for one of the top/bottom screws to fall within the area the old holes are, where there's now no longer any door for them to screw into.

So I need something to fill in these already very smooth holes, and provide enough grip against the rest of the door so that a screw embedded in it won't just wind up pulling out the filler "plug" when I pull on the door.

What's the best way to go about this? I have mild woodworking experience, but not much with epoxies and other fillers.
>>
Tooth picks and wood glue is pretty decent.
>>
mix sawdust with some wood glue until its a paste... fill holes. let dry 24 hours. proceed to drill new holes. the glue and sawdust will actually be stonger than the wood and you should be able to put screws in without worry
>>
>>942898
This seems like it's intended for small drill holes, I'm talking about a very large 35mm hole that needs to be at least partially filled.

>>942901
This is slightly more promising, but I'm not convinced that wood glue can set hard enough without any pressure hard enough.

I'm thinking if I drill some smaller holes around the circumference of the hole, that'll help whatever chunk of stuff I put in to stand up to the rigors of being pulled "outwards".
>>
>>942930
>This is slightly more promising, but I'm not convinced that wood glue can set hard enough without any pressure hard enough.
cut a hole around that size in some scrap and test it yourself.
>>
>>942930
Buy a dowel that is the same size or slightly larger and sand it down. Cut off a stub that is deep enough to completely file the hole and glue the fucker in there with wood glue. Coat the inside of the hole and the plug completely with a light coating of glue. If its a little proud of the hole when you've tapped it in as far as it can go then plane or sand it smooth.
>>
>>942939
Getting a 35mm dowel is easier said than done, given they only sell things that big in lengths of 2+ meters which is a bit of overkill when I need maybe 10mm.

Maybe I can find something that'll work through careful searching, a plug with a thin layer of glue sounds like it'd be more secure than a plug made of glue, and I can clamp it in much easier.
>>
>>942939
>>942949
Or just get a piece of wood the same thickness and use something like a coping saw/scroll saw to cut it to size, but that said, I think sawdust paste is the best bet.

For larger holes, you might want to insert something like a piece of paper on the back side and glue it to the wood first to act as a backing for the paste, but it's been used for a very, very long time successfully for just this purpose.
>>
Can you get by with just changing the location of the hinge on the stile instead of on the door? Or is it something stupid like you found a cab door so its a 3foot door on a 2 foot opening?

>>942901
This would work. Might take longer than a day to dry.

If its paint grade stuff the bondo brand makes a 2 part wood filler thats supposedly interior and exterior grade. Its pretty good. I've used it to fix friends punches into their doors.. Fix cabinets after they were routed for steel granite brackets, but ended up changing their countertop to a regular overhang. Its sets white, surprisingly seamless when sanded down to a decent finish grit. And sets in 15 minutes.

Not to be a buy fag but if its stain grade. finding a wood plug on amazon or something might be cheaper vs having to buy a 3 foot Dowell rod for the 1 inch of material you need to plug two holes.

Although you could use the remnant of the Dowell rod for a closet pole in the laundry area if you have the space. Be like $5 for a pole socket set. Wife might be appreciative of two projects knocked out at once? Eh.
>>
>>942960
Just fyi. 35mm =1.4"
Actual 'wood filler' has never been appropriate for such a hole. Just because op said filler when he actually meant plug.
>>
>>942981
The stile is a washing machine with pre-drilled mounting points at specific heights with an attached backing, it's not feasible to move those.

In terms of the look, this is all on the hinge side so it'll be barely visible anyway, and it's painted black so it wouldn't be hard to cover up anything if I really wanted to bother.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.