[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Electroplating Silver
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (33 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
33 KB, 1280x720
I have a question about electroplating and would like to know what you guys think.
So i have a bracelet which is made out of leather strings and a symbol as the main part made out of some metal.
I want to electroplate this metal, i was thinking to plate it with copper first and then plate it with a thick layer of silver.
My question is what kind of metal the main part of it might be, it is not magnetic at all and does not rust, i thought it might be stainless steel or titanium since those two are relatively skin-friendly and are used for such purposes.
Is it still possible to go through that process with either of those two materials?
>>
Post a picture of it. It could be just shitty pot metal. Zinc, aliums, tin. It could be plated brass, copper etc.

Silver is cheap why not remake the main part out of solid silver? Also why silver, it tarnishes and isn't something you normally plate onto things.
>>
>>942614
Its probably pewter.
>>
>>942627
I don't have it with me right now but i will make sure to post a picture of it tommorow.

I already let a jewelry store cast the whole thing as silver before and gifted it to my wife as a present, the original thing was the first thing she ever gave to me so i thought maybe i can atleast make it look nicer so it doesn't look like the usual hipster infinity bracelet.

Why silver? I don't really know actually, it's cheap to get and i like how it looks.

>>942628
Looks very much like it thank you, also i just read that it can turn darker after quite a while and i noticed some spots on the symbol do the same.
>>
File: electrochemical+series.png (23 KB, 1024x401) Image search: [Google]
electrochemical+series.png
23 KB, 1024x401
After a bit of reading i came to the assumption that i can see what steps i can take to get to silver plating, apperantly Sn is part of pewter if i am not mistaken and is below Cu on the redox metal list, so theoretically it would make sense that my process would work out.
Even if it is not pewter i think it is not above Cu or Ag.

I think will just go for it on Monday and will report back.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.