[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /diy/, Going to share my hacksaw build. I have a junior
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: HACKSAW.jpg (386 KB, 1946x600) Image search: [Google]
HACKSAW.jpg
386 KB, 1946x600
Sup /diy/,
Going to share my hacksaw build.

I have a junior hacksaw (6" blade), but no full size hacksaw. being on a tight budget i can only afford the blade. using some scrap metal, nails, wood and a few screws, I was able to make my own hacksaw and you can too.

The tools required are , left and right cutting tin snips, junior hacksaw, power drill, assorted drill bits, file, hammer, bench vise, 0.500 x 0.500 x 16" steel bar, 1/4 hex screwdriver, 3/8 wrench.

The materials needed are, hacksaw blade, 22 gauge sheet metal this can be taken from appliances such as stove,s fridges, washing machines and dryers, .500 x .188 x 24 steel bar, .500 x .125 x12 steel bar, .500 x .500 x 2 steel bar, nails, sheet metal screws, bolt, machine screw, 1 x 2 x 4 nom. wood, 2 - 8.5x11 sheets copy paper, tape pencil.

First step is to make a template. tape 2 sheets of paper together along the short side. trace he outline of the hacksaw blade on the lower left hand corner. around the outline of the blade draw the desired shape of the hacksaw, the with of the frame should be .500", allow 1.0" of space on each end of the blade.
>>
File: DSCF7769.jpg (706 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
DSCF7769.jpg
706 KB, 2048x1536
Secondly the frame sections are formed. the frame sections are made by bending and hammering sheet metal on a 0.500 square bar as a mandrel. Cut the sheet metal to a width of 2.563" refer to the template for lengths. First bend is .125" in an L shape, Clamp the sheet metal with the mandrel in the vise with .125 of sheet metal above the mandrel. hammer the sheet metal to form a 90 deg bend. Continue forming the sheet metal around the bar forming a square tube. Slide the formed tube off the mandrel. Cut the tube to the required lengths.

Third the frame is connected and a handle attached. The frame is jointed with thin steel bars bent and laminated together. cut 7- 2" length of .188 bar and 4 length of .125 bar. Bend the bars for the joints, referring to the template for the angle. each joint has 2 - .188 bars and 1 - .125 bars. drill through the sheet metal and bar bar, rivet using common nails. add a handle using the same process.

Lastly make the mounts for the saw blade. Cut a 1.0 section of .5 square bar. cut a slot .5 inches deep and wide enough to accept a hack saw blade. drill a hole intersecting the slot, corresponding to the hole on the hacksaw blade. drill a hole on the end of the bar and tap it to receive a bolt. mount this to the frame by drilling a hole into a joint and bolting through. the front mount is made the same way. a threaded rod is attached to the front mount, passed through a hole drilled in the frame and a wing nut screwed onto the end. two pins hold the blade in place
>>
>>942176
Excellent work anon.
>>
>>942175
Looks pretty good.
You going to shape the handle for comfort?
>>
>>942219
My thoughts exactly.
That handle, I can feel the pain just thinking about it.
>>
>>942219
>>942222
i'm going to replace the wood with a non broken piece, it doesn't feel uncomfortable as it is.
>>
>>942176
>>942175
I admire the work you did here, but a hacksaw is only $5 at home depot and probably cheaper at harborfreight,
If you're really that strapped for cash, recoup your losses by cutting open padlocks with your hacksaw and craigslisting your acquisitions.
Or donate plasma.
Or whore yourself out.
Or work at mcdonalds.

But honestly, that hacksaw looks way better than mine. I'd use it.
>>
File: coolface trollface mask.png (49 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
coolface trollface mask.png
49 KB, 604x453
>>942175
>being on a tight budget i can only afford the blade

While I can very much appreciate the /diy/ spirit in saving money...this has to be a joke. If you legit can't afford a hacksaw, you have bigger problems than whatever one I'm assuming you're trying to solve.
>>
Honestly it looks pretty awesome. I don't know if I'd use it but I'd definitely hang it in my garage to admire.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.