[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Clock
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: clockparts.gif (35 KB, 330x300) Image search: [Google]
clockparts.gif
35 KB, 330x300
I want to design and build a mechanical clock.
I have access to a 3D printer, so most parts can be manufactured that way.

I'm looking for resources (free books, if possible) to calculate. My other choice is just look for videos and blogs and make the calculations my self.

I have some experience with gear design.

Clock making general?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwMfkoUR8Yw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g-rlaZNAjU
>>
>>941184
>Clock making general?

So, is that your question?
>>
>>941184
What do you need to calculate?
Pendulum frequency depends on length and force from escapement also I guess.
To go from 1 second to 1 minute you need a gear ratio of 60:1 to go from minutes to hours you need a gear ratio of 60:1
There are probably a billion different escapements you can pick but I doubt you would find a book about it.
If you want to make the gears from scratch the only resource I know is woodgears.ca, guy is mentioned in diy regularly and he has some weird wooden shit.
If you want metal gears you need one of those machines to make them properly.
>>
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:328569
>>
>>941274
>Pendulum frequency depends on length and force from escapement also I guess.
Brah, do you even physics?
>>
>>941830
What is not right about that?
>>
>>941830
yeah no, he's right. pendulum frequency depends on the length of the pendulum. However, to keep it from slowing and stopping due to friction, the escapement 'kicks' the pendulum each tick (hence weight or spring) adding a little force. this kick can 'slightly' throw off the accuracy of the pendulum, especially with a spring driven clock, because it's not a constant force when you compare just after winding to after running for a day or two.
Although technically >>941830 is right, the pendulum frequency is entirely due to length, and the escapement is interrupting the swing and starting a new one. so it's not changing the actual frequency, just the effective frequency that you have to work with.
And that all depends on what type of escapement you use. Some 'kick' more than others.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.