[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how to pull out your own teeth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
heres the full video https://youtu.be/AvB97Is-AqM
>>
>>939273

>owns computer
>cannot afford to see dentist

Get your priorities straight, folks.
>>
File: 1452737504237.png (287 KB, 540x489) Image search: [Google]
1452737504237.png
287 KB, 540x489
>>939281
>I don't live in the USA the post
Dentists are expensive as fuck if you don't have dental insurance. No, not medical, explicitly and specifically dental. Which is not commonly given at jobs unless it's a salaried position. Getting that tooth pulled could literally cost him upwards of $1500 depending on how much bullshit they make him do before hand.

>well you're a new patient so you need a checkup first
>$200+
>We need to do Xrays
>$25-150+
>ibuprofen while you wait a month to actually see the fucking dentist because they know you have no insurance
>$15
>anesthesia
>$400 minimum, literally the sky is the limit, some places will charge upwards of $1000 for the first hour
>actual extraction if it goes smoothly
>$50-200

Even with dental insurance, a lot of them only cover 80% of the cost so that's still a few hundred bucks you have to scrape together or pray you can find a dentist that will do a charity operation on you.

Comparatively, you can buy a functional PC for $100 fucking dollars for less than a day's work unless you make minimum wage.

My top wisdom teeth are literally swiss cheese right now for some fucking reason and I can't do a damn thing about it because of the above. "If it doesn't hurt, there's nothing wrong" is a very common sentiment in the states because dental work is just that fucking expensive.
>>
>>939273
Get a tooth key... Pic related
>>
>>939349
honestly if you're so useless as a human being that you're not even salaried why should your company waste money on a dental plan? if you get a toothache just shoot yourself.
>>
>>939386
>you're so useless as a human being that you're not even salaried
You know, this kind of retardation is the last thing I'd expect from /diy/ of all boards.
>implying being salary means fucking anything
>implying salary is even that great unless you're one of those lucky 1 in 1000 fuckers that gets home early all the time and doesn't have to put in 80+ hour work weeks for no extra pay every week of the year
>implying I wouldn't make more than most salaried positions as a blue collar worker if I was willing to do 80 hour work weeks once I'm out of college
>60 hours alone would probably put me in the 30th percentile
But besides that, especially fuck you for having that "lol just get a better job" mentality to begin with. That's not how it works and you must be trust fund baby as fuck or underage banned to think everyone can go get a six figure salary job. We need janitors, we need teachers, we need garbage men, we need mechanics, we need plain old basic labor. That does not mean you should be denied basic fucking dental treatment because you don't get insurance through your employer or can't afford it yourself. No, you're not going to be getting fancy fucking implants for free, but there is no fucking reason a man can't walk into a dentist's office, say "Hey, I'm poor as fuck and this tooth is really bad, can you help me out?" Get sat down and given a cheap, old fashioned xray to make sure there's not something crazy going on, be given a couple Vicodin or something and get his tooth yanked for under $150 by a professional in a sterile environment.
>>
>>939349

Hourly here. I pay 10$ a check for dental. I don't use it, but if I need it it's gonna be useful. It's like car insurance, you get it to save your ass.
>>
>>939407
Not everyone has that option though, especially in smaller companies.
>>
>>939349
>anesthesia
Wat

When they pull teeth they just use a local (lidocaine) which is decently cheap (like $15-20)

>>939401
>there is no fucking reason a man can't walk into a dentist's office, say "Hey, I'm poor as fuck and this tooth is really bad, can you help me out?" Get sat down and given a cheap, old fashioned xray to make sure there's not something crazy going on, be given a couple Vicodin or something and get his tooth yanked for under $150 by a professional in a sterile environment.

Some places will. My college roommate was poor as fuck and had two teeth rotting. He started getting cluster headaches from it.

Went in, told them he needed a tooth pulled and that he was broke so he needed some kind of payment plan.

Cost him $100 per tooth total. Plus the co-pay from his insurance for prescription pain killers.

Also a lot of health insurance covers emergency dental.

You can also just go into the ER and have it pulled too.
>>
>>939419
>When they pull teeth they just use a local (lidocaine) which is decently cheap (like $15-20)
Everything I found on dental anesthesia was hundreds of dollars.

>Some places will
But not all, which is the problem.
>>
>>939349

I'm the guy you're responding to. I have dental insurance. I'm salary but before that I was hourly. Still had the same dental insurance.

Also lidocaine and procaine are cheap as fuck. I have my dentist inject me in all 4 corners of my mouth when it's time for my annual deep cleanings because the numbing gel gets all over your tongue and tastes like sour shit.
>>
>>939401

Salary can't be given in my state unless you're in a managerial position, so there's that.

Also, I rarely work over 40 hours. I went to salary because I got tired of dealing with overtime quotas. Salary in my job means answering the phone or emails at odd hours of the day/weekend because shit can go wrong at work (not my doing) and I have to instruct them how to handle it. In my 2 years at this job, I've only had to come in once outside of normal hours to actually handle a problem.

>once I'm out of college

Now it makes sense.
>>
Glad I live in the UK, with free dental plans.
>>
>>939558
Only if you're a dole dossing scruff. Everyone who works has to pay for dental care.
>>
>>939559
Free checkups are a scam
> turn 16
> suddenly all teeth rotten
Do the nhs not compensate them enough?
Haven't been to a dentist in 10 years.
>>
>>939559
Yeah, but all of £30 a year.

Hell, I'll splash out another £15 on white fillings, because I'm a petit-bourgeoise.
>>
>>939401
if you cant afford a service you cant have that service. that's life. There are a number of charity services which can help poorfags with the dental care if you can't get yourself together enough for insurance. Which, btw , you can obtain free and independent of any employer.
>>
>>939582
Every time i go to a dentist, for the past 10 years theyve told me i need fillings in five of my front teeth. When i look at them in surprise, they tell me, oh well in the next six months theyre not big but it needs to be done.

Dentists are more shady than used car salesmen or mechanics.
>>
>>939595
Same. I was told a good 7 years ago that I need fillings in two cavities. Haven't had any pain at all, no blood in saliva, etc. I've been to the dentist since and they told me they need to be fixed but I still haven't experienced any symptoms. I believe that an ounce of prevention is worth the pound of cure but really, I also believe dentists are overly conservative and perform unnecessary work.
>>
>>939602
Got an x-ray and was told I had a cavity inside a filling.
I told him he could do it for free since he fucked it up the first time
Not welcome there any more
>>
File: 1439878870996.jpg (452 KB, 595x842) Image search: [Google]
1439878870996.jpg
452 KB, 595x842
>>939602
Dentists are just like any other profession where they want to make money. In all reality 98% of the general public doesn't need their wisdom teeth removed so it's considered a preventative surgery. I do have to admit tho that I just recently had a tooth removed due to a filling that fell out and it was the absolute worst pain I had ever felt. I couldn't eat(broth and water), sleep, and had a headache constantly. It was fucking draining. I've been shot in the chest and blown up twice by an IED in Iraq and I would rather deal with that shit again more than a fucking toothache.
>>
>>939349
damn, such miserable country. Literally africa third world tier. Just stop spending useless trillions of $$$$ in you military and help your least privileged people.
>>
>>939422
>Everything I found on dental anesthesia was hundreds of dollars.

Must be location then.

My sister is a dental hygienist and I confirmed that it costs them like $3 a shot.

>>939558
Then why does everyone have such shit teeth. Don't even say it's a myth because I lived in England for 4 months.

>>939604
Dentists are bitches.

>Have small chip on my tooth
>Sensitive sometimes, not bad
>Go in to my sister's office to have it fixed
>Dentist removes filling in that tooth, drills it out further, refills
>Tooth still sensitive some times
>Sister takes a look
>He didn't even do anything about the chipped spot
>Called him, told him he can either fix it for refund me
>Refunds me
Free filling I guess...

>>939611
Tooth pain is some serious shit when it gets bad.
>>
I need 5 root canals on the top of my mouth. Havent eaten real food in years. Been saving up my money to go down to Mexico where I can get it done for $600 per by some dude with some office in LA.
>>
File: 1452625321748.jpg (41 KB, 550x512) Image search: [Google]
1452625321748.jpg
41 KB, 550x512
>>939640
>hurr durr cut your military
We spend tremendously more on things other than our military. What they really need to do is stop humoring these fucking R&D companies and paying them $300k a pop for 20 year old missiles.

>>939595
>Dentists are more shady than used car salesmen or mechanics.
Fucking this.

>just get some work done at 14
>all clear
>move
>get checkup
>only six months later
>lol you have 18 cavities
>parents just say ok and don't even bother to get a second opinion
>find out later that this dentist office is well known for doing this kind of shit
>>
>>939548
>>once I'm out of college
>Now it makes sense.
All of my relatives have been salary at one point in time. They've all said it's not worth it unless you get a nice position like my dad has where he's not only paid 85k+ a year but he also makes overtime because he's a contractor. If I could swing 80 hours overtime in my field which is quite possible, I'd be looking at 110k+ a year.
>>
>>939349
>Dentists are expensive as fuck if you don't have dental insurance. No, not medical, explicitly and specifically dental. Which is not commonly given at jobs unless it's a salaried position. Getting that tooth pulled could literally cost him upwards of $1500 depending on how much bullshit they make him do before hand.
I think that's kinda steep.
I am in central USA.... I had a crown put on a tooth, and the total cost for that was about $1000 I think,,,, but my insurance paid something like 90% of it.
The crown itself cost like $400, so I'd think pulling a tooth would be at least that much cheaper.
>My top wisdom teeth are literally swiss cheese right now for some fucking reason
Sometimes you do get referred to a dental surgeon in the US for difficult extractions. I had to do that for one of mine, but it was years back and I don't recall the billed cost.
>>939419
>anesthesia
>Wat
Sedation dentistry is a thing now in the US.
Basically there's so many people neurotic about dental drills that many dentists offer the option of going under.
If you just haven't visited in a few years, some of them even recommend it even if you say you don't want it. They can't MAKE you do it tho.***
I don't do it because-
1) the local is good enough for me, the idea of drilling doesn't really bother me. But more importantly-
2) most anesthesia fatalities are when people are put under, it hardly ever happens from locals. I decline total anesthesia for *anything* at the dentist.
>>
>>939669
>.... Been saving up my money to go down to Mexico where I can get it done for $600 per by some dude with some office in LA.
A lot of retired people in the US desert southwest do this. Some places even have a bus service that takes you directly between the US pickup spot and the Mexican medical/dental facility.

>>940155
>*** (quoting myself)
I didn't go to a dentist for 22 years, basically because I had no regular dentist and had no pressing reason to seek one.

When I was ~40, I had a filling fall out and a new cavity started. When it began to hurt then I had to find a dentist. My old dentist was retired years ago.
When I went to the place I chose and they heard that I hadn't seen any dentists in 22 years, they asked if I wanted to be sedated. The receptionist, the dental assistant and the dentist all separately asked me that.
I didn't want that at all; the only reason I hadn't been to a dentist was that I hadn't had any dental problems in all that time.
I got cavities and had fillings done before I was 18, even had the wisdom tooth pulled (with only a local anesthetic), but had no problems in those 22 years since.

Your teeth are a crapshoot, and you get what you're born with.
If you have good teeth you can go long times without any dentist; I did pretty good on that matter. I didn't even brush my teeth that regularly.
If you have shit teeth--even if you treat them well (that is, no smoking or drinking and multiple daily brushing)--they may still not last you three decades.
>>
>>940155
>Sometimes you do get referred to a dental surgeon in the US for difficult extractions. I had to do that for one of mine, but it was years back and I don't recall the billed cost.
It's not that they came in crooked or anything, the left one just had half of it get chipped off somehow and there's a bit hole at the gum line now. The other is getting a gumline hole as well. They don't hurt in the slightest and aren't sensitive either so I'm wondering what the hell is going on as my other teeth are fine. Wondering if shit isn't just getting caught back there since it's tight, accelerating the process drastically. I really should get it taken care of, but since I don't have any pain/discomfort or infections I'm gonna wait till I have dental again.

>>940155
>Basically there's so many people neurotic about dental drills that many dentists offer the option of going under.
That's fucking retarded, can people really not handle it? My only issue is sometimes I need an extra shot or two. Then again I was almost always told how lovely it was to work on me when I got fillings because I just let them get it over with, only stopping a few times during the whole procedure just to get rid of spit and such.
>>
>>939349
This is wrong. Pulling a tooth should be $200-$500 out of pocket, and less if you go to a community dental clinic.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.