[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you know about loupes ? My eye are getting weaker. would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: loupe.jpg (12 KB, 448x253) Image search: [Google]
loupe.jpg
12 KB, 448x253
What do you know about loupes ?
My eye are getting weaker. would like to work on things at arms length and have a close up look. Been looking at dental loupes but they super expensive. Regular jewelers loupes work fine but you have to hold the work right up to your face. What I need is a close focusing binocular you can wear . What's out there?
>>
>>938459
>Regular jewelers loupes work fine but you have to hold the work right up to your face.
That is because they are far easier to use that way.

The practical problem with using devices such as loupes is that-
1) for a given objective lens size,
2) as the magnification of the lens assembly increases,
3) the depth of field decreases. As it must. There is no way around that.

The reason that a typical 30x loupe requires you to hold stuff 10mm in front of it is because the depth of field can be much less than 1mm. If the focal range is set very close to the objective lens, then you can brace your hand against your face, and hold the item at the proper distance to see it clearly. If the focal range was set out 200mm from the objective, you'd never be able to hold anything in focus.

UNLESS.......

you had the loupes fixed on a stand, and you had a stage that sat at the proper focal range distance.... which is what these things are:
(stereo magnifiers)
http://www.techedu.com/Barska-AY11234/?Source=googleshopping&gclid=CPKEm5OP1MoCFVUlgQod7skD9A
There are cheapo ones for ~$50, but they are not built anywhere near as well as the $500 ones are....
And IIRC, Barska (that link) is a cheapo Russian optics brand. Comparable models from Swift, Zeiss, Nikon ect will cost way more than $500.
I'd expect to pay at least $200-$300 for a single-power set.
>>
>>938459
If you want to work at arms length a webcam with macro lens and monitor is probably the cheapest solution.
>>
File: OptiVisor.jpg (139 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
OptiVisor.jpg
139 KB, 880x660
>>938459
Google OptiVisor

You can get these with different strength lenses. Lower power will let you work farther away. Higher power gives better magnification but you need to hold work close to be in focus.
>>
>>938939
>Comparable models from Swift, Zeiss, Nikon ect will cost way more than $500.

Local universities surplus sales often have these for $100-$200 in good condition.
>>
>>939172
I know that my life changed the day u upgraded from a crappie eBay loupe to a $200 achromatic one from a geological store. Wow what a difference
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.