[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you like the new retro LED filament light bulbs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 15
How do you like the new retro LED filament light bulbs?
>>
>>933569
As much as I like any lightbulb.
>>
>>933572
fucking pleb.
>be me
>every time go shopping drag gf along to light bulb section
>enjoy checking out color temperatures, intensity, lighting patterns

>>933569
I dont really like them. I hate things pretending to be things they arn't. it doesnt produce the same color as incandescent and it's less efficient than any other kind of led bulb and how does it into sinking heat? must break faster.
>>
>>933577
I believe the LED filaments are encased in a glass like material which helps in the heat dissipation.
>>
>>933577

It doesn't look godawful like the other LED bulbs. It isn't pretending to be something else because it's not a pcb with a bunch of smd leds inside a bulb-like housing.
>>
>>933577
>muh pleb
go back to /fa/
>>
>>933569
Pros:
1) higher light efficiency (lm/W)
2) 360° angle
3) usually lower color temperature

Cons:
1) more expensive
2) less place for PSU, thus often manufacturers fuck it completely and get bad efficiency

They're cool when you need to replace a bulb that is mounted vertically up – ordinary LED lamps have limited light angle.
>>
File: Berg-3.jpg (89 KB, 720x472) Image search: [Google]
Berg-3.jpg
89 KB, 720x472
>>933577
>every time go shopping drag gf along to light bulb section
>every time
<-OP.
>>
>>933670
>implying OP's gf isn't a floorlamp
>>
>>933569
I got one in a reading lamp of mine, it's wayyyyy to hilariously yellow. I wonder if they make any around 2700k...
>>
>>933577
Where do I get led bulbs that are the same color temperature as incandescents. Either the leds aren't 2700k or the incandescents are below 2700k. Either way I hate it.
>>
>>933569
I'm actually okay with this.
>>
>>933569
>screw fitting

There's nothing worse than finding a spare lightbulb, only to discover it's not a bayonet. Why the hell is this still even a thing?
>>
File: 017801141887_ca.jpg (31 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
017801141887_ca.jpg
31 KB, 900x900
>>933569
Leds need a diffuser to be effective. These ones are nice.
>>
>>933828
>Why the hell is this still even a thing?

Are you seriously asking why the screw in lightbulb base is still a thing?

It's been a thing for over 100 years. It's never going to stop being a thing. Get used to it.
>>
>>933828
>Why the hell is this still even a thing?
because it's THE THING. it will continue to be the standard after you die.
>>
LEDs are metaphorical cancer for home lighting but CFLs are literal cancer.
>>
>>933931
AIDS has been around for nearly 40 years, but that does not mean we want it nor that it is practical in any way.

I agree with the other guy. What is the point or advantage of screw caps over BC's? Screw caps can corrode themselves into place making removal a cunt, and the twisting required often detached the base from the envelope on older globes if they were screwed in too tightly or have corroded themselves into place. They are a fucking pain in the tits

An answer more detailed than "because it is" would be appreciated..
>>
>>933985

BC's have springs and moving parts which are a bitch to manufacture and can seize up just as easily as a screw in bulb. Cars don't even use gayonets anymore. Do you still walk around at night with a candlestick lol?
>>
File: 20160122_184838.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160122_184838.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>933991
>BC's have springs and moving parts
You mean a cylinder with notches and two flexible metal contact tabs at the bottom, as opposed to a cylinder with threaded walls and one flexible metal contact tab at the bottom? Sure, moving parts fucking everywhere by comparison.

Threaded socket has much more globe to socket contact area to corrode up than a bayonet cap. A bayonet cap needs to be pressed in before it disengages, which would crack loose any corrosion before you try twisting. A screwcap will simply bind, and half the time the envelope twists out of the cap due to recurring heat/cold cycle stressing of the bonding glue, especially when the thread has gunked up.

> Cars don't even use gayonets anymore.
My wife's 2015 i30, and my 2011 Audi S4 disagree.

> Do you still walk around at night with a candlestick lol?
Grow the fuck up arsehole.
>>
>>933667

There's no power supply. These are AC LEDs, they run directly off of rectified mains input with just ballasting resistors.

That's always why they are complete shit for lights. They have an unbelievable amount of current ripple in their output. They are a serious source of eye strain.

Any line fluctuations in your power will instantly show up in the light output too. No output capacitor to filter disturbances like with a traditional LED+PSU set up.
>>
>>934017
If you're going to all the trouble of rectifying it, what's a smoothing cap going to matter?

If you're not going to rectify it, you miss out on every other cycle, or you need twice as many LEDs.

If you're not going to smooth it, you need more LEDs for the same light output, which strikes me as a false economy.
>>
>>933828
You can get adapters.

I went on a purge and banished all non-BC bulbs from my house, screwing an adapter into every unterfitting.

You should too.
>>
>>933985
Everyone in the world uses screw caps

>>934017
Not all of them. Some actually have a transformer to produce the 170v or so the "led filaments" run on.
>>
File: led psu.png (650 KB, 661x606) Image search: [Google]
led psu.png
650 KB, 661x606
>>934017
Forgot pic related
>>
>>933907
>Leds need a diffuser to trap bugs inside

Fixed it for you. The bulbs also hide the hideous circuitry that is inside.
>>
>>934033
>led retro filament bulb
>strikes me as a false economy
You should not be surprised.
Flickering and shit light output is probably considered a feature

I can't wait until these take over and I can sell my 6pack of 100w pearl incandescents. Oh you can still buy them just not for home use? What is the fucking point.
>>
File: lf.jpg (78 KB, 1287x1980) Image search: [Google]
lf.jpg
78 KB, 1287x1980
>>934017
>These are AC LEDs, they run directly off of rectified mains input with just ballasting resistors.
Hm... Can you please provide us with any datasheet of an AC LED?

>They have an unbelievable amount of current ripple in their output.
You never worked with any high-power LEDs, did you?

Btw... Multiple technologies are now called 'LED filaments'.
E.g. the diodes can be mounted on a metal strip (COB, chip on board) or on glass (COG, chip on glass).

But in any case, it's just a bunch of diodes on a stick (pic related, false colors, as I used an old floppy as filter – mylar was too dense for that shit).

So, you argue whether it's better to have 200+ tiny diodes on a filament or up to 20 small diodes on a flat board / simple convex polyhedron. That's kind of…
>>
For all the bozos on this thread, I have 4 of them over my head atm, so here are my experiences:

-Yellower than an incandescent but not bad,
good light quality same as cfl
-Look great.
-They light the whole room evenly, they don't produce spots of light like other led lamps
-NO FLICKER WHATSOEVER
-Not as cheap as other led lamps though

These have a real psu (not just a capacitive dropper and certainly not straight AC) tucked inside the metal base. Might not be the best quality (Power factor might be questionable) but it doesn't get too hot to touch. (certainly cooler than cfls used to get).

I have fiddled around with bare led "filaments" before, wanted to diy the lamps. My experiences with those:
-Marketed as "pure white" turned out they were greenish (and contrary to the ones I mentined above, these were bad)
-They are leds bonded on a thin glass substrate coated with a phosphor containing silicone.
-Power rating for each "filament" is roughly 1W and they do not even get warm during use. Forward voltage per filament is 50-60V
>>
>>934223
correction, wanted to say light quality is better than cfl, with a better CRI
>>
File: additive_color_filters.jpg (59 KB, 595x722) Image search: [Google]
additive_color_filters.jpg
59 KB, 595x722
>>934223
>greenish

That's what magenta gels (also called minus green) are for, buddy

Do they come in 4000 or 3700k, though?
>>
File: spectral_responses2.png (79 KB, 685x392) Image search: [Google]
spectral_responses2.png
79 KB, 685x392
>>933698
They have 2700k, but only mathematically. Not real black body 2700k. They just have worse continuity of light spectrum that causes metamerism and often green-magenta shift as well.

Pic. related. Even when they all look "white" while illuminating white paper, ones might make some colors stand out more without having an actual tint.
>>
>>934084
>Hm... Can you please provide us with any datasheet of an AC LED?

AC LEDs are simply two rows of parallel LEDs which are connected in opposite directions. One row lights for the positive AC half cycle, and the other for the negative cycle.

Not saying the guy you're quoting isn't a retard, but they do exist.
>>
>>934245
I thought the LEDs were meant to be the expensive component?

Why would anyone do this, when they could eliminate half the LEDs by adding a rectifier, or two-thirds of the LEDs by adding a rectifier and a cap?
>>
>>934240
fellow illuminationfriend here. where did you learn about illumination bro?
>>
>>933966
indirect lighting can look very nice if you get LEDs that actually have enough out put, i hate it you see "and the product is dimmable!" and the max output is like 850 lumens- im not trying to live in a cave scene
>>
> they could eliminate half the LEDs by adding a rectifier

you'd have to run that half twice as hot to get the same light. so they would die.

> two-thirds of the LEDs by adding a rectifier and a cap

those two-thirds would receive more average current and run hotter. so they would die.
>>
>>934630
You'd be running them at 100% duty cycle.

How could they not be designed to do that?
>>
>How could they not be designed to do that?

the approx. 50% duty cycle gives the LED a chance to cool down a bit. heat is what kills LEDs.
>>
>>934285
Woah nigger, how did you get that insane cutoff with a diffuser

Teach me your magic and list your programs.

And send me those files
>>
>>934285
Send it all to me at [email protected]
>>
>>933992
In all my years I have never had a bulb get stuck due to corrosion. It's a non issue.
>>
>>934017
Thank you
>>
>>934240
Don't white LEDs generate UV and run it through a flourescent material the same as flourescent tube lights? Why do the LED spectrums look so much smoother?
>>
>>933569
I like them, the same as I like regular LED's. I just hope the style doesn't sacrifice longevity as it doesn't look like there is much room for a driver circuit in the cap (do these ones even have drivers?).

Hopefully they can persuade old people who swear by incandescents to finally give LED's a go.
>>
>>934066
>Everyone in the world uses screw caps

Those types are not very common here compared to bayonet caps and GU10.
>>
>>933985
>Screw caps can corrode themselves into place
if your electrical contacts are getting wet that often the problem is not what shape they are.
>>
>>934240
It's worth noting that there are at least thirty different phosphors in regular use in white LEDs.
>>
>>934236
>That's what magenta gels (also called minus green) are for, buddy
Minusgreen is a last resort. Even 1/8 minusgreen is throwing out a third of your light.
>>
>>935166
Not quite. They're blue LEDs (usually 450nm) pumping a phosphor. They can be almost perfectly black-body smooth, bu tthose phosphors are expensive (and don't show up as a plus in most metrics) so there's usually that dip in cyan between the blue peak and yellow/green peak.
>>
>>936446
>>935166
They look smoother because
a) they're not being pumped by a line source; leds are more of a gaussian
b) different phosphors
There are white LEDs (like some of the new Nichia LEDs meant for backlights) that use component R and G phosphors that are 'spikier' like the classic fluorescent phosphors.
>>
File: 1453843490974537801596.jpg (824 KB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
1453843490974537801596.jpg
824 KB, 1456x2592
Got mine. They look like the real thing, but the light pattern is quite odd.
>>
>>936540
How do they compare to a 40w halogen in terms of lumen output?
>>
>>936540
close up pics
>>
>>936555

They're 6w bulbs, so they're a lot weaker anyway. Plus I don't have an halogen to compare, heh. I'll do a comparison with a proper incandescent light bulb.

>>936579
It looks like the OP pic, but I'll post later
>>
>>933577

>autism
>>
>>933698
The Philips LED's are the best I've seen.
>>
File: 81tNd9t4BqL._SL1500_.jpg (146 KB, 899x1500) Image search: [Google]
81tNd9t4BqL._SL1500_.jpg
146 KB, 899x1500
i use these LED lamp and they are amazing.

i use the daylight ones though becuase i dont want yellow light damn it give me white
>>
>>937618
Personally I like warmer LED's in bedrooms and whiter ones in living areas like kitchens. My room is bathed in 2700k and its very calming before bedtime.
>>
>>934071
>hideous circuitry
How can a circuit be "hideous"?
>>
>>937624

Suntan capacitors, that brown laminate, etc.
>>
>>933577
Mah nigga. This is exactly how I am. The lighting sections, since LEDs came on the market, have been like crack. Love seeing what new progress has been made.
>>
>>937622
I hate the middle of the spectrum, white fluorescent light bulbs (4000K) just makes me depressed as hell from some reason.
>>
File: duluxstar-11w-e27.jpg (30 KB, 519x630) Image search: [Google]
duluxstar-11w-e27.jpg
30 KB, 519x630
>>937622
Except the night light and bedroom table lamp, I use only 6500K lights at my apartment. Pic related, Osram duluxstar
>>
>>938956
>6500k

Totally sickening
>>
>>938964
I tried that, and it made my bathroom feel like an operating theatre.

And if anyone left the light on, the light spilling into the hall made it look like an X-Files alien abduction was going on.
>>
>>938976
>>938964
It will take about 1 or 2 weeks to get adjusted. After that there's no turning back to using pee-coloured light bulbs.
>>
>>933580
allow me to illuminate your understanding

http://electricstuff.co.uk/ledfilclock.html
>>
File: asdf.jpg (32 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
32 KB, 960x720
>>939001
This. So much this. I've even changed my desk lamps over to a whiter color.
>>
>>938956
>80 cri
>in your home erry day
Jesus anon.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.