[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIY wiring problem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: IMAG0187.jpg (3 MB, 2368x4224) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0187.jpg
3 MB, 2368x4224
Just wondering if these wires arr wired right? because whenever i switch the light off the breakers flip. Any help is greatly apreciated.
>>
what the fuck are you trying to do here?
a light switch?
so what is this?
at a guess, power cable, switch cable and lamp cable?
you need 4 terminals, not 3.
all cpc (earth) together
line (brown or red) from power goes to switch (brown or red)
switch (blue or black) (wrap a bit of brown electrical tape around the wire) goes to bulb (brown or red)
bulb (blue or black) goes to power (blue or black)
box is plastic so it doesn't need to be earthed.

blues should be nowhere near the red if the red is power feed
you have the bulb and the switch across the power, when the switch is off (open) the light is still getting power, when the switch is on (closed) the power is directly shorted.

you have the switch and bulb in parallel, they need to be in series.
>>
File: geeps.png (10 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
geeps.png
10 KB, 261x195
>>931113
I think he's making some sort of terrorbomb I wouldnt help him friend
>>
>>931115
from the looks of it he will kill himself long before he can hurt anyone else.
i'm assuming he is from the uk based on the monged up 'harmonised' colouring.
its fucking 1.30am here and he is playing with the lighting?
hope you have plenty of torch batteries op
>>
>>931113
hurry up and thank me so i can go to bed
>>
Jesus christ you mongs are cooked.
Alright, take it from an Australian Electrician. Here is your problem, you have your active and neutral switched at the bottom. Brown is Active(Red) and Blue is Neutral(Blue)

Swap it around so it should look like

Brown --- Red
Earth ---- Earth
Blue ----- Black

Also btw, for the love of god call an electrician, don't kill yourself. This is how houses get burnt down, fuckwit.
>>
OP these morons are seriously trying to kill you. It's a series 9 wired setup (oldfag electrical engineer here..)
the reason it's tripping (and what these guys aren't telling you) is modern power runs a little differently, the guy who mentioned parallel was getting close-ish.
You need to 'loopfeed' old series 9 setups (pretty rare) by connecting the red AND black wires to the opposing blue wires (just twist them together to a point then put em in). the brown wire needs to go to the opposing yellow (another twist and put in)

good luck OP, please don't listen to these trolls and I would seriously recommend getting a professional to do it.
>>
>>931983
fuck up Burke
>>
>>932017
>the brown wire needs to go to the opposing yellow
Tell me more about this 'series 9'
I can understand using cpc as a strapper but this doesn't look like a two way setup.
>>
>>932017

>connect appliance live to ground
>short neutral to positive and appliance neutral
>????
>profit
how does this either kill the OP or fix his problem?
are you seeing the color codes here? brown/blue is a pretty common old british/chinese/australian color scheme for live/neutral, now superseded by red/black because the wire that kills you should stand out more than the wood grain next to it.

also why are there two neutral wires and two live wires heading out to the appliances? are there two lights OP?
>>
>>932017
S'funny, because if you did this to a standard fitting wired to standard electrical codes,

>connecting the red AND black wires ... just twist them together
Would mean shorting the supply-side live to the supply-side neutral

and
>the brown wire needs to go to the opposing yellow
would mean shorting the supplied-side live to earth.
>>
>>931983

You upside down Australian even your fucking wiring codes are backwards.

In euro land blue and red are the neutral and black and brown are the live

>Americans using white

You sunset people please go
>>
>>932079
The fuck is/was/has.ever.fucking.been red neutral?
>>
>>931108
OK ill help you.
Well for starters, you always need to ground the neutral wire (usually called the negative (which is always black)) for switches to work. And I see you switched the red and black the wrong way too.

So you need to switch the black to the blue wires and the red to the brown, then you need to connect a small green or black(ground) wire from the black side directly to the ground in the middle. Now your switch should be working.
>>
>>932061
>are you seeing the color codes here? brown/blue is a pretty common old british/chinese/australian color scheme for live/neutral, now superseded by red/black because the wire that kills you should stand out more than the wood grain next to it.

UK here
we USED to be red/black
NOW we are blue/brown

because muh EU

actually thats only for cable, flex was always brown/blue as far as i can remember.

>>932079
black was old neutral. blue is 'new' neutral
red was old line. brown is 'new' line

three phase used to be red/yellow/blue
now its brown/grey/black.
yes, thats right, black used to be neutral, now its a live phase. what a good idea huh?

>>932096
is everyone in here a troll?
assuming you must be a yank with wiring advice like that.
>>
>>932106
>assuming you must be a yank with wiring advice like that.
Nah I'm an electrician from Norway.

I just want the electrician to get a good laugh when OP finally calls, because if OP isn't trolling, then he should not be messing with this. If he had any idea about how electricity works or what he was doing, then he could see why a switch wouldn't work as it is, so clearly, he doesn't have a clue.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.