[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ideas on building screen on controller for PC mod
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 2
File: Screen on Controller.jpg (124 KB, 1400x1345) Image search: [Google]
Screen on Controller.jpg
124 KB, 1400x1345
I'm building a SFF PC using an AMD APU. While the PC itself is simple enough, one of the features I'm trying to build into it is an LCD screen attached to an Xbox 360 controller that lets you play your games and stuff on that little monitor.

The monitor: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-inch-800x480-Touch-LCD-Screen-5-Display-For-Raspberry-Pi-Pi2-Model-B-A-S3-/381299675603?hash=item58c73b51d3:g:2QMAAOSwDNdVgtc1
The clip to hold the monitor to the 360 pad: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nyko-Xbox-One-Smart-Clip-Smartphone-Mobile-Phone-Harness-for-Xbox-One-Controller-/351377889992?hash=item51cfc11ac8:g:1J0AAOSwpDdVeHDq

The problem is how I execute the idea for the most convenience. There are two ways I can accomplish this:

A) Stream the video from the PC to the screen as a client device. I can strip a Steamlink down to the board and connect it to the LCD via HDMI, then build a case around the boards to enclose them into one unit. This sounds a lot like Nvidia's Shield Portable, but that thing only works with Nvidia video cards, and I'm using an AMD APU.
Drawbacks: Will have to work with Steam's Streaming service, will need to connect the Steamlink to AC power, requires wifi, input lag.

B) Treat the LCD as a monitor and run an HDMI cable between it and the back of the PC.
Drawbacks: The LCD and the PC will be connected to each other by HDMI and USB cables.

Any folks with ideas? I'm thinking of doing B and just dealing with the cables, but I'm trying to see if there is a better way.
>>
File: Steamlink.jpg (127 KB, 2264x1528) Image search: [Google]
Steamlink.jpg
127 KB, 2264x1528
The Steamlink is small enough to hide behind a 5 inch screen fortunately. However, I'd have to run the power cable into it because I don't have any experience with wiring batteries. I heard that for what it does, the Steamlink works great as a streaming device but there is a lot of added complexity with using Steam's streaming service and I don't want to be using so much of the wifi's bandwith from streaming games.

Either way, it looks like I'm gonna have to deal with cables for this project, unless there is another way for video data to be wirelessly transmitted from a source to a display.
Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.