[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what if you make an RC plane's wing by first constructing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: 76996_plnwngdiag_lg.gif (75 KB, 1024x438) Image search: [Google]
76996_plnwngdiag_lg.gif
75 KB, 1024x438
what if you make an RC plane's wing by first constructing some ribs out of balsa wood, make them all stick together with some carbon fiber rods, and then put some type of material over the top? What material though?
>>
>>924651
if we're already looking at carbon fiber rods, why not do the foam core with epoxied carbon tape on top thing?

Even if not that, I'd look at some sort of cloth or cloth-like material I could add rigidity to, like fiberglass or something.
>>
>>924653
I've seen it done with cling wrap like material before
>>
>>924651
Wow, never thought this skillset would ever be used again.

You don't need carbon fiber rods for the spars, you can use something like birch.

To cover the wings an fuselage, you have choices. There's traditional paper-and-dope (it's a special type of paper), or silk-and-dope (stronger, but heavier and more expensive, and as I recall a little harder to work with), or there's a type of heatshrink plastic, but you need special equipment to work with it, namely a special type of heated iron to stick it down to the wing skeleton, and a heat gun to shrink the stuff, and it's not foolproof, if you get it too hot it'll melt through and then you start from scratch.

The main thing about covering the bones of the plane is that the covering has to be *tight* or it'll screw up the aerodynamics, and especially the wings have to be free of ripples. Takes a some practice and patience.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.