[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /diy/, settle an issue for me. My mothers back veranda/patio
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: 1405727394366.jpg (170 KB, 1155x788) Image search: [Google]
1405727394366.jpg
170 KB, 1155x788
Alright /diy/, settle an issue for me.

My mothers back veranda/patio is old and some boards have broken as people walk on them. I've put my foot through it, so has my mother and both my sisters. However a week or so before Christmas, my youngest sister fell through a board and servilely hurt her foot. So mum decided enough was enough and it was time to replace the broken boards

How ever given that she doesn't like spending money, she decided to do it her self/rope me into doing it. Also she doesn't want to replace all the boards, just the broken ones and the ones that looked/felt weak.
We were suppose to start yesterday, but I ended up telling her to go fuck herself.

This happened, or at least the events leading up to it happened, because I suggest that it would be better to mark all the boards she wanted to take off, measure them, then work out an order, so that we could then cut the replacement boards to length with minimal wastage. She however, wanted to just pull up the old boards and cut as she goes. Sounds like a pretty shitty reason to tell my mother to fuck off, but there were other reasons as well that I need not go into.

What I would like to know however, is which way is the better way of doing it. My way; measuring and cutting boards in a systematic way, to minimal wastage and get the most out of each board. Or her way; cut the boards as you need them and be left with off cuts that are too small be used, but big enough that they're an obvious waste?
>>
>which way is the better way of doing it

the better way would be to not go into analysis paralysis over a patio.
>>
>>922717
yes
sage because of no contribution
>>
>>922717
besides what >>922722 said about you being an autistic spazz over a deck, you'll need to do a bit of both.

you should be taking measurements to begin with to know how many boards you're going to need, what kind of lumber to buy, how you'll be transporting them and how you'll be fastening them. however having a bit of leftover isnt a big deal if you all can find a use for some remnants of the boards, its better to have too much than too little for a project and theres nothing wrong with having some extra wood laying around.
>>
>>922729

You're gonna spend more time/money. Hire a reliable contractor. It's better this way. If you feel the need, save money by demolishing it yourself, and then having someone come in to rebuild. Learn carpentry on smaller projects/budgests
>>
File: 1410138881661.jpg (602 KB, 1469x1102) Image search: [Google]
1410138881661.jpg
602 KB, 1469x1102
>>922717
>no pictures of the actual patio
>sperglord levels of autism
>mommy
>more autism

Kill yourself
>>
>>922730
You don't need to hire a contractor to redeck your patio holy shit. Its just a matter of pulling up boards and nailing down new ones. Whole project should be around $500 assuming it's a small porch.

OP boards are cheap. Don't worry so much about it.
Also you're mom is a moron waiting until someone gets hurt to finally fix her shit.
>>
OP: Why not man the fuck up and just do it all yourself. A retard could replace some rotten decking. You can even have your mommy pay for it since you don't have a job. I get that you don't have a father figure, but grow a pair.

If you're just replacing some boards it will take a few hours and you can do it anyway you choose.
>>
>>922730
Come on mister bag of dicks. A contractor for replacing a few boards?
It would funny if it wouldn't be so sad....
>>
>>922979
>Why not man the fuck up and just do it all yourself.
There have been multiple other times when she's wanted me to do jobs/work for her because she's too cheap to hirer someone to do it.
Almost every time this happens, I attempt to go a bout doing the job in a smart, well thought out way. But that's not good enough for her, she want's it done quick. I have in the past attempted to just ignore her and do the job the way I want to do it, but this doesn't work as she either stands around bitching at me or she actively tries to undermine what I'm doing.
If I had of just started measuring and cutting the way I wanted to, chances are she would have just taken another saw and started doing it her way, therefore negating me doing it my way.

>since you don't have a job.
I do have a job, I'm currently on break for Christmas/New Years, which is why she wanted me to do it now.

you don't have a father figure
Yeah I don't, because he died a few years ago. If you must know, the real reason I told her to fuck off was because after a small argument over how to go about replacing the boards, she said my father "thought I was useless", which is an outright lie.
>>
>>923169
Stop hanging out with your bitch of a mother. You'll feel better. No, you don't owe her anything. She sounds like a terrible person to be around, she is probably not that terrible to strangers, but she is to you, because she thinks you'll take it.
>>
replace them ALL, it will look like a shit patchwork job otherwise. Delete thread.
>>
>>923169
Fuck her man, let her get sued because someone gets hurt
>>
>get mdf
>cover whole deck
>>
>>922717
>but I ended up telling her to go fuck herself.
>What I would like to know however, is
..what is the best appliance box to live in now that I've been thrown out of the house and live in a hobo camp.
>>
>>923200
>Fuck her man

what good is having sex with her boyfriend going to do?
>>
>>923169
if she's paying for the materials, why the fuck does it matter how it gets done? If your egg donor wants to waste her money on too much wood, fuck it. Buy too much wood, rebuild the deck, and start a bonfire with the rest.
>>
>>922717
It's just this very attitude that was probably the cause if buying the wrong untreated wood in the first place and caused injury to unsuspecting victims.

Scrap the lot and replace with tantalised treated wood fit for purpose. Beyond that I won't contribute further to something that will undoubtedly fail again and cuss injury because of cost and corner cutting red necks.
>>
>>924233
Pardon my auto correct nonsense.

Tanalised.
Cause injury.

Anything else I've missed.
>>
>>922717
underage banned>?
>>
>>922717
Dude, it's easier to just rip the fucker out and build a new one. The wood underneath is probably rotted so the structure is just a time bomb. Tell yer mum it's time to pony up for a new patio.
>>
One thing I've learned over the years.

If someone wants you to do a bad job you can calmly state why it won't work as well as another option. Don't act arrogant, don't act like a dick, just state your case with confidence, give reasons if it seems they're interested.

If they disregard it, do it their way.

If it turns out bad, calmly mention that it matches up with your opinion. Don't rub it in their face, don't take pride in knowing you were right, it just means you have more knowledge on a subject than someone who never bothered to learn about it. If they did they would be doing the work themselves.

If they're more accepting to your ideas now, so the job over if required.

Might I also add, don't go out of your way to redo a job you did as a favor. I do this for jobs that I get paid for, and generally get paid to redo them.

Really though, so what if you bought more wood than necessary? Replace more planks than you originally planned on replacing, or save for another project down the road. If she wants to waste money that's her business, it's her money, not yours.
>>
You have to pay for the entire board anyway, they aren't going to give you a discount and keep all of the scarps that they can't sell.

Measure what you plan to replace, see how few boards you can get to cover your shit. If you want to save time and a headache, go buy more than enough wood for your mom and leave a tidy pile of waste behind. Before you go, say sorry there's so much leftover, but there was no way to avid it having not ordered pre-cut boards. Mention that she'll have to find a nice man on craigslist to come over and help her take care of her leftovers. She probably won't mind
Who cares. She is nuts, I've been there. Sorry man.
>>
>>922717
The planks must be a standard measurement, right? Just count (or estimate) the number of boards to be replaced and take it from there. Mind you, it would be better to replace the whole lot rather than doing a half assed job.
>>
Replace long boards first then determine if you have cut offs long enough to use. Then paint the deck with outdoor paint from the off match paint clearance and spring for the grit additive to create a slip resistant surface. Other finishes may look nicer but will wear faster than paint and have to be reapplied. Paint will do a better job of preserving through the obvious lack of maintenance. It will be harder to avoid waste than building the deck size around the wood length since your building the wood size around the replacement length so you`re stuck with whatever fuck off job whoever initially built the deck worked out and you can't be blamed for waste, not your fault so fuck it.
>>
>>922717
Rip out everything and replace everything. Never have to worry about it again.

>replace only what is totally shitty

Enjoy broken ankles in 5 years.

Move the fuck out and have her call a fucking professional.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.